• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Question about the obliques

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Will your waist become bigger when training your obiques..? Because i dont wanna get a big waist. Is this true or is it a myth..?

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
I think it has more to do with how your obliques are shaped and where they insert. If I'm at a high bodyfat%, I find training abs helps firm everything up a bit and make me look like I have a smaller waist. Ironically, when I'm at a lower bodyfat%, sometimes training abs makes my obliques stick out a little more and make me look like I have a larger waist. But at that point my waist is already pretty small and it doesn't look bad...girls like that look anyway :xyxthumbs:

You're not going to start looking like Ronnie and Jay from doing some side bends, though. The difference is going to be in fractions of an inch or maybe an inch, not inches.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yes they do, look at some fitness models, they have more width

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^That's one shot. Plus I think his lack of back width isn't helping.
I think it'll only really make much difference if you're doing weighted exercises for them. If not then it'll probably hjelp keep the area tight. It's one of the areas you don't want to put size on just detail so don't do any weighted exercises and you should be fine.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well rocky is right, its only 1 pic and you must exercice them, if not for volume, just to make stronger to support all the other exercices and support that area of the body, but as rocky said, do it without weight

Glex

Glex

VIP
Yes, obviously don't use weight if you want to keep your obliques tight.

And like I said, if you shave off an inch, maybe two from that fitness model's waist circumference, he'd have a perfectly straight trunk.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's no reason to train obliques. Obliques will get hit hard enough with squats and deadlifts.

Glex

Glex

VIP
^^ But I only do curls and bench press :keke:

I can tell a difference when I train obliques, though :e5dunno: I suppose when you're bulking it really isn't as important.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you add any significant mass to your waist from doing oblique exercises I would be very suprised.

Your more likely to notice fat deposition there if your BF% raises a small amount.

R

RY.

Banned
You should work out obliques and serratus.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
I

improver101

Exercise Targeting Upper Obliques directly without big wasist

ve been looking to target upper obliques without the lower for the "V" shape and found this: What do you think from Improver101..............

The first abdominal exercise is one that I call the "Stretched Flying Cable Crunch." It is done using the Cable Crossover machine. This exercise allows you to place direct tension on the upper oblique area to sides of the upper
abs where the obliques form the "fingers" that truly finish a physique.

Start:cable-crunches-flying1.jpg (Picture at bottom)

Finish:cable-crunches-flying2.jpg (Picture at bottom)

Start by attaching two single handles to the high pulleys of the crossover machine. You will be using a moderately heavy weight for the exercise itself but you can start light to get an idea of the movement first.

Grasping the two handles, kneel down then walk a few steps forward on your knees. As you kneel down, you will need to rotate your shoulders so that your arms are being stretched behind your back (your palms will be facing up in
this position). The reason you want to step forward a bit is to get a better stretch on the obliques.

From this position, you can perform one of three movements: a cable crunch straight forward, a side crunch to the left or a side crunch to the right. The angle of the cables form a direct line of pull for the obliques on the opposing side of the body, e.g. when you side crunch to the left, the right pulley has a direct line of pull on the left obliques.

I've found that a good way to execute this exercise is to cycle between the three movements during the set - do one crunch to the front, one to the left, one to the front, one to the right, one to the front, one back to the left, etc. This will give you a balanced workload on the abs. You can also choose to just focus on the obliques by going back and forth between the two sides.

Start:cable-crunches-flying3.jpg (Picture at bottom)

Finish:cable-crunches-flying4.jpg (Picture at bottom)

Attachments

• cable-crunches-flying1.jpg
    cable-crunches-flying1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 88
  • cable-crunches-flying2.jpg
    cable-crunches-flying2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 88
  • cable-crunches-flying3.jpg
    cable-crunches-flying3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 83
I

improver101

last pic

Attachments

• cable-crunches-flying4.jpg
    cable-crunches-flying4.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 88
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some people have genetically SHITTY obliques, like me. I have a womans waist if I don`t train obliques. My toraxic cage and my hips create a sunken cavern where my obliques should be.