• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

ZMA yes or no

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
After the glutamine thread i would like to ask the same question for zma. Does it has it benefids or is it a waste of money?

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It helps to get a better sleep. So it could be good to add. Tho i think when your on a budget its not something you should take.

fallen

fallen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I get crazy dreams on ZMA.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love zma! Excellent recovery/rest. The best sleep you'll ever have :) plus its suppose to aid in heathly natural test lvls etc. Its cheap enough that its pretty much a staple in my supplement routine

zdub311

zdub311

i take zinc before i go to bed and it helps big time..and like above poster said it def gives you some wacky dreams

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it did nothing for me

i find getting better sleep and craziest dreams taking 1/2 dosage of common multivitamin&multimineral just before bed

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It may help rasie your test level when its not optimal. But when test levels are optimal it has no effect

Koehler K, Parr MK, Geyer H, Mester J, Schänzer W.
1Institute of Biochemistry, German Research Centre of Elite Sport, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany.

Objectives:To investigate whether the administration of the zinc-containing nutritional supplement ZMA causes an increase of serum testosterone levels, which is an often claimed effect in advertising for such products; to monitor the urinary excretion of testosterone and selected steroid hormone metabolites to detect potential changes in the excretion patterns of ZMA users.Subjects:Fourteen healthy, regularly exercising men aged 22-33 years with a baseline zinc intake between 11.9 and 23.2 mg day(-1) prior to the study.Results:Supplementation of ZMA significantly increased serum zinc (P=0.031) and urinary zinc excretion (P=0.035). Urinary pH (P=0.011) and urine flow (P=0.045) were also elevated in the subjects using ZMA. No significant changes in serum total and serum free testosterone were observed in response to ZMA use. Also, the urinary excretion pattern of testosterone metabolites was not significantly altered in ZMA users.Conclusions:The present data suggest that the use of ZMA has no significant effects regarding serum testosterone levels and the metabolism of testosterone in subjects who consume a zinc-sufficient diet.European Journal of Clinical Nutrition advance online publication, 19 September 2007; doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602899.

PMID: 17882141 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

hugegunns

hugegunns

Did nothing for me either. Waste of money IMO.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So overall not worth taking..?

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
looks like its a 50/50 vote...I say give it a shot see what you think.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Mark from LP

Mark from LP

I took it for a while and thought it was alright. Some people I talk to though seem to have amazing sleeps and recovery. This wasn't the case with me, but I guess everyone is different.

From what I have read there does seem to be proven benefit from the formula in terms of boosting test and recovery. Also as I am sure others have read, hard training athletes tend to be lower in magnesium.

I would say maybe try one bottle and see if you notice a difference. If not, forget it, but still make sure you are still getting some zinc and magnesium from food or some type of quality multi.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love ZMA, my favourite supplement for sure. i've been on it for like a month now and my recovery has drastically improved, im sleeping better and heavier andi just feel better overall. definetely give it a try:)

T

The Sheriff

i have a question about zma.... i always hear about that you not supposed to take with any kind of a dairy product, mine even says that on the label. how important is that, because im sure most everybody taking it would have somekind of a casein supplement also before bed. How are you supposed to avoid mixing them.

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't know about the milk thing, but ZMA makes me sleep very well and I get the dreams too. It is one of the few supps I have ever taken that I actually can tell I am taking.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When you train hard it tends to deplete your body of the minerals contained in zma so if you dont replenish them they will remain lower than optimal levels which could result in things like slightly lower than optimal test levels and slight insomnia. If you dont replenish them in the diet and through other supplements then benifits will most likely be seen by taking zma such as, improved sleep, recovery and slightly higher natural test levels. If you dont feel like you are able to get these minerals and vitamin elsewhere then I think its a good buy.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i have a question about zma.... i always hear about that you not supposed to take with any kind of a dairy product, mine even says that on the label. how important is that, because im sure most everybody taking it would have somekind of a casein supplement also before bed. How are you supposed to avoid mixing them.

Take the ZMA 30 mins before your shake and that should be enough time for the zinc to get into your system. Thats what I do and it seems to work!

D

Dominus

I thihk ZMA is very good supplement!

Be very careful when taking it, as it seems to be inhibited by calcium sources(take at least 2h appart, best on empty stomach).
Also, be sure not to take just ANY ZMA! Not all are the same(some companies put calcium in their tabs as a "bond material" out of ignorance but convinience as well). So if not working, don't diss the supp just like that, try with various companies.

Victor Conte, owner of Balco Labs(company who patented ZMA) sells a genuine zma. That should be fine. I had a phone nr somewhere from where it could be ordered. If you're interested, i could look it up.

Cheers!

T

The Sheriff

I thihk ZMA is very good supplement!

Be very careful when taking it, as it seems to be inhibited by calcium sources(take at least 2h appart, best on empty stomach).
Also, be sure not to take just ANY ZMA! Not all are the same(some companies put calcium in their tabs as a "bond material" out of ignorance but convinience as well). So if not working, don't diss the supp just like that, try with various companies.

Victor Conte, owner of Balco Labs(company who patented ZMA) sells a genuine zma. That should be fine. I had a phone nr somewhere from where it could be ordered. If you're interested, i could look it up.

Cheers!

so if your taking zma and a casein supplement both at night, maybe take the zma on empty stomach two hours before betime, then casein right before you hit the sac?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dont think that you need to take the zma 2 hours before your shake. No bodybuilder should spend 4 waking hours without eating. The casein will digest very slow so if you take the ZMA after the shake then you should wait 2 hours to take it, however, if you take the ZMA 2 hours after your last meal and then down a shake 30 mins later, I am confident that that would allow sufficient time for the ZMA to absorb and still fully benifit from its effects.

T

The Sheriff

alright, that makes sense, thanks for explaining