• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How Important is post-workout?

T

TrainToWin

What should I eat after my workout for best results? I usually eat 2 banana's and a can of tuna. Sometimes I'll drink gatorade during my workout. Should I try protein powder after my workout instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You need lots of carbs immediately after your workout, followed right after with about 40-50g of whey. Post workout is probably the most important time to eat.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Post workout nutrition and the timing of it is absoulutely critical. The 2 bananas are great but they contain fructose which is mostly used to replenish glycogen in the liver so try to throw in some dextrose or glucose as well which will do a little better job of replenishing the glycogen in the muscles. Tuna is good but whey isolate is better. Whey will absorb a little faster and thus feed the muscles just a little faster. you should take anywhere from 35-60 grams of protein depending on weight. I think that all this should be taken in whithin 15 minutes of completing your last set. Think of your muscles as a dry sponge and the post workout nutrition as the liquid that will soften the sponge. Your muscles are so depleted so just like the dry sponge, they can absorb more than usual, like a damp sponge. To sum it up, take some fast acting carbs (sugars) and some whey proteing immediately following workout.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Post workout nutrition and the timing of it is absoulutely critical. The 2 bananas are great but they contain fructose which is mostly used to replenish glycogen in the liver so try to throw in some dextrose or glucose as well which will do a little better job of replenishing the glycogen in the muscles. Tuna is good but whey isolate is better. Whey will absorb a little faster and thus feed the muscles just a little faster. you should take anywhere from 35-60 grams of protein depending on weight. I think that all this should be taken in whithin 15 minutes of completing your last set. Think of your muscles as a dry sponge and the post workout nutrition as the liquid that will soften the sponge. Your muscles are so depleted so just like the dry sponge, they can absorb more than usual, like a damp sponge. To sum it up, take some fast acting carbs (sugars) and some whey proteing immediately following workout.

I agree except for the protein part. Whey protein digests very quickly and if anyone tries to take in anymore than 25-30g of Whey in a single drink they will be wasting their money.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but do you have an article or study or anything that would back that up? I always thought (no definite scientific backing) that immediately after a workout the body (depending on weight) would be able to absorb a little more during that window. In a normal situation, I agree with you but in a post-workout situation I always understood that the number of grams able to be absorbed increased. . .

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Post workout nutrition and the timing of it is absoulutely critical. The 2 bananas are great but they contain fructose which is mostly used to replenish glycogen in the liver so try to throw in some dextrose or glucose as well which will do a little better job of replenishing the glycogen in the muscles.

Ultimately, everything you mentioned above is converted to glucose or stored as glycogen if not used. Whether its fructose, dextrose, carbohydrates, etc :tiphat:

And as your question to Wolf below, yes you are more succeptable to absorbing more Protein after workouts because exercise stimulates GLUT-4 to the muscle plasma membrane. :xyxthumbs:

D

dan_85

my post work out is ..right after my work out 2 scops cell tech or vitargo then 50g of whey then about a hour after my shake's i have a cup and a half of oatmeal with blueberrys and 8 eggs whites ..i switch it up sometimes but thats the norm

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
easy way is to drink a protein shake right after your workout and than change your clothes and shit and than sip a bottle of Gatorade.. don't drink it too fast, just let it in your mouth and drink it down slowly... the reason is it goes faster in your blood and stuff trough your Tongue

miami

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BONECRUSHER

BONECRUSHER

What should I eat after my workout for best results? I usually eat 2 banana's and a can of tuna. Sometimes I'll drink gatorade during my workout. Should I try protein powder after my workout instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I usually have my sweet stuff during workout and after. I tend to perform better when I do this Glucose is the most important part for me

I also take caffine 30min prior to increase performance

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Post workout is the most important thing with training...thats were the "building" actually takes place IMO

B

BAIKSUNGWAN

I agree except for the protein part. Whey protein digests very quickly and if anyone tries to take in anymore than 25-30g of Whey in a single drink they will be wasting their money.

Untrue. Following an intense workout your muscles can actually take in more protein. Anywhere from 40 to 50 grams of whey protein isolate can actually be digested as post-workout, depending on how quickly you take it (15 - 30 minutes after workout).

Mach

Mach

Hey guys...

Right after my workouts, I get in the locker rooms and down a full protein shake (around 60g or protein) yes, that much is probably a waste right, but why take the chance. After that a wait a couple of minutes then have a 2 table spoons of honey. Then 30min. later i have 4 egg whites 1 apple and 1/4 of whole wheat bread.

What do you guys think of that?

Thanks.

secondyearperry

secondyearperry

my post workout is slightly different, i am suprised that not many people utalise pizza. it is high in protein and carbs, but of course you can't have it often. anyway i don't know if this will help you my friend. after workout, about 5 mins later i like to have a protein shake, thats 20grams of lean protein, then of course something to eat, but it takes 20-25 mins to cook, so i think that if you are interested and desperately need a lot of carbs and protein then you hsoyuld do what i and i presume what many others do. cook the night before, store it in the fridge, then heat it up. of course i only live opposite my gym, if you live far from your gym i suggesst you just take a banana, thats smart, maybe two, i find a protein bar with plenty of good carbs always helps.

Mach

Mach

Nice, never really thought of eating bananas after working out. Can anyone say anything about what i'm doing if it's right or not? Or should I include or take out anything? Please read 2 posts above.

Thanks.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Tuna is good but whey isolate is better. Whey will absorb a little faster and thus feed the muscles just a little faster. you should take anywhere from 35-60 grams of protein depending on weight. I think that all this should be taken in whithin 15 minutes of completing your last set.

Is Muscle Milk considered a good protein to take PWO? I got 2 tubs as a gift. I'm new to supplements and really don't know the difference between good and bad.

J

jornT

Real men drink atleast 1L of chocolate milk during the WO.

S

spacedirector

Hey guys...

Right after my workouts, I get in the locker rooms and down a full protein shake (around 60g or protein) yes, that much is probably a waste right, but why take the chance. After that a wait a couple of minutes then have a 2 table spoons of honey. Then 30min. later i have 4 egg whites 1 apple and 1/4 of whole wheat bread.
What do you guys think of that?
Thanks.

Honey is not good option for PWM.
4 egg whites contains about 12gr of protein. Thats not enough for first "real" meal after PWM. 300gr of stake or chicken breast will be much better option.

Mach

Mach

Damn, so I need something big like that for the first meal after working out eh? Also, why is honey not good for PWO? It's a good source of carbs to get into your system ASAP.