• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to build Inner/ Upper Chest?

B

ben1

I am lacking in these regions and I wanted to know if anyone knows some techniques to bring these areas up to speed with the rest of my body. I think it is from focusing on flat bench too much. Any suggestions?

German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i would definatly focus more on incline movements, if your upper chest is a problem

TM817

TM817

Lay off the flat bench bro. Start chest w/ incline st. bar. Then go to incline dbs. ( don,t set the bench too high though ), then I,d do flat dbs. press. Thats That!!!

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You cannot isolate one part of the muscle per se, the pectoralis major is one muscle (pectoralis minor is used to expand the rib cage to fascilitate in breathing heavily) . But you can put the stress slightly in one area a bit more by the angle. Try incline DB Presses or Incline DB flys also. Good luck :xyxthumbs:

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like every one else said incline is the best way bro

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What's your current routine for chest?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You may just have to be resigned to the fact your genetics won't allow you to ge tthat big uper and inner pec mass - something I also have trouble with but you can do what you can by doing as everyone has suggested and using predominantly incline presses.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:xyxthumbs:The previous posts are all correct in the fact that if your lagging in the upper chest region then you need a workout that has an angle that works the upper chest region. Any workouts like the cable crossovers and or incline DB press is good. Anything really with DB helps to stimulate all the muscles in the chest because the arms aren't relying on the other to lift the bar. (Like the BB because if your right arm is stronger than your left, then your right arm tends to 'help' the left...) By using the dumbbells each of the two arms has to work individually to get the weight up which only helps you in the long run. (You also have to maintain a balance in the weight so that you can perform the exercise correctly which helps to use other muscles.?Hope this helps...Good Luck!!

L

lorri_01

try doing cable crossovers but on an incline bench these unlike flyes make the movement hard even when at the top rly builds uppers/ inner chest. good luck

A

asdf

TM817 said:
Lay off the flat bench bro. Start chest w/ incline st. bar. Then go to incline dbs. ( don,t set the bench too high though ), then I,d do flat dbs. press. Thats That!!!
Which is it? No flat bench or flat bench at the end of a session? And what exactly does DB incline achieve after BB incline?
vik said:
Like every one else said incline is the best way bro
Most physiological studies would suggest otherwise.
Braaq said:
You cannot isolate one part of the muscle per se, the pectoralis major is one muscle (pectoralis minor is used to expand the rib cage to fascilitate in breathing heavily) . But you can put the stress slightly in one area a bit more by the angle. Try incline DB Presses or Incline DB flys also. Good luck
No the pectorialis is made up of two heads, the sternal and clavicular. I can't remember if they have seperate innervation but it is likely. As for putting more stress on an area, what do you mean? Also DB flys are terrible no matter what angle they are done at.

Studies have shown that decline, flat, and incline only differ in the relative contibution of the deltoids, and triceps. More activity may be present in the clavicular portion of the pecs but this is offset by the added recruitment of the deltoids and triceps in the lift. So to hit the clavicular head more so would require deactivation of the anterior deltoid and triceps (not possible without compromise to the pecs) or you could pre-stim the pecs using a band fly or cable fly (low weight contractions).

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Prioritize incline movements. It hits the upper region more.

BONECRUSHER

BONECRUSHER

Which is it? No flat bench or flat bench at the end of a session? And what exactly does DB incline achieve after BB incline?

Most physiological studies would suggest otherwise.

No the pectorialis is made up of two heads, the sternal and clavicular. I can't remember if they have seperate innervation but it is likely. As for putting more stress on an area, what do you mean? Also DB flys are terrible no matter what angle they are done at.

Studies have shown that decline, flat, and incline only differ in the relative contibution of the deltoids, and triceps. More activity may be present in the clavicular portion of the pecs but this is offset by the added recruitment of the deltoids and triceps in the lift. So to hit the clavicular head more so would require deactivation of the anterior deltoid and triceps (not possible without compromise to the pecs) or you could pre-stim the pecs using a band fly or cable fly (low weight contractions).

It can get very confusing in Bodybuilding atm.

There are two conflicting theories atm.

1) from the scientific community
2) and the other from athletes within the sport.

In the end you have to decide whic advice you want to take. Its a personal decision but I am not going to bother arguing who's right or wrong. There are plenty of articles and Journals that you can pull apart for information on this

A

asdf

It can get very confusing in Bodybuilding atm.
Only if you believe everything you read and don't disregard the bullshit. :xyxthumbs:
There are two conflicting theories atm.

1) from the scientific community
2) and the other from athletes within the sport.
1) Is based on controlled measurements of what is actually happening. :xyxthumbs:
2) Is confounded by what people want to believe. Placebo's have a 30% effect! :eek5nono:
In the end you have to decide whic advice you want to take. Its a personal decision but I am not going to bother arguing who's right or wrong. There are plenty of articles and Journals that you can pull apart for information on this
No, I'd say you have to critically read what is reported. Most "articles" don't have any real information, just opinions. You can't agree with an opinion without facts.

L

lorri_01

lol some people think they no everything :cool:

Basebodyfitnesspaul

Basebodyfitnesspaul

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What the fuck are you asking us for? I mean, you're obviously not willing to take any advice on board. Do what you want Charles Glass, i'm sure you will anyway.

Base

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I think we have a wanna be know it all. No my friend you are wrong, I dont know where you read your info.

Pectoralismajor 1

As you can see smart guy, the pectoralis major is ONE muscle group. You may be refering to areas of insertion, but that is it. You clearly know some words of the human anatomy, but not what they mean.

Pectoralis Major:

a. Characteristics

i. Large breast muscle over pectoralis minor

b. Origin

i. Sternal manubrum

ii. Ribs 1-6

iii. Clavicle

c. Insertion

i. Lateral lip of humeral intertubercular groove

d. Function

i. Primary flexor and adductor

ii. Medial rotation

e. Synergists

i. Coracobrachialis

ii. Deltoid

Where do you get your studies from genius? I am curious to know more, can you back up your rediculous claims? Most likely not, have a good day :tiphat:

mgballa4life

mgballa4life

Try doing incline presses such as incline barbell and incline dumbells
Do incline flies as well as flat bench flies but when u do the flies, as u bring the weights up try rotating the bottoms of the dumbells towards the inside and touch the bottoms of the dumbells together. This does not isolate anything but when i do it i feel it more on the inside of my chest.
give these a shot and see if they help at all

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Stop suggesting flyes! :angrydude:

Incline pressing movements are fine but flyes and cable cross overs are a waste of time. Flyes are the like are not going to isolate your "inner pecs" anymore than pressing and will only allow you to load less weight and have an inferior hormonal response.