• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

No Direct Anterior Delt Work = BIG Delts. Make sense?

H

HST MAX 8

I came across this article on bb.com saying that for BIG delts, STOP all direct anterior work because the anterior gets worked enough on chest days. Here's the link

Here's the quote

RULE 1: Stop all specific front delt work. Your front delts get destroyed when you do your chest session so hitting them again in your delt workout will not allow then to recuperate and as a result you whole delt region won't grow.

That's just like saying stop doing curls bc they get worked enough on back days right? What do you guys think

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Meh, I'd almost agree. I wouldn't waste much time on the anterior delts, focus on getting strong on heavy overhead dumbell presses, dumbell snatches and so on and your entire delts will explode.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No. Do not stop working your delts. The only way to make them grow is to work them hard and heavy. Chest days should be about chest, not delts. Shoulders belong on shoulder days and chest on chest days.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bu I agree with Ironslave about the snatches. I do them and they really boost shoulder strength.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't do any direct anterior delt work at all. No need. Both chest presses and military presses to front work them more than sufficiently. I only really do any deliberate head specific work for the rear delts!

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont do them period...

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
isolation moves are higly overrated in my eyes. everything should be done in compound with heavy weights all the time unless your preparing for a contest or something

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Assuming your doing presses for chest then there is no reason to directly work the front delt. I'm actually in the same boat as Rocky. Typically, I focus on the rear delt and just do some light sets for the side delt.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Call me old fashioned then :tiphat:

B

BAIKSUNGWAN

A simple solution would be to train shoulders only once a week.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I never train front delt directly...I do the overhead machine press, but with my thumbs under the bar to train the side delt mainly and indirectly train the front delt. And the part with bigger delts....I would say the apperance of big delts more or less sits in the rear delt rather then the front.

BONECRUSHER

BONECRUSHER

I never train front delt directly...I do the overhead machine press, but with my thumbs under the bar to train the side delt mainly and indirectly train the front delt. And the part with bigger delts....I would say the apperance of big delts more or less sits in the rear delt rather then the front.

As long as you have big delts who cares what you are doing? I'm not going to change my delt work.I'm happy with my delt development and there still growing:linedrunk:

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
As long as you have big delts who cares what you are doing? I'm not going to change my delt work.I'm happy with my delt development and there still growing:linedrunk:

Sure you should keep doing what you are doing if it works for you..It was more towards those who dont know :xyxthumbs:

robvandam420

robvandam420

I've always done db raises for my delts, but they never were up to par with the rest of my body. Then I began to change my routine, alternating standing bb overhead presses with seated overhead db presses, and my delts respond very well to that. That works for me, but if raises works for somebody else, keep doing the raises, plain and simple :)

S

Slabbefusk

I've stayed away from overhead pressing a while because my shoulders were rotating forward. I only worked the rear delts and its okay now so ill guess ill go back to pressing.

K

kralleyeah

hi

I'm new in this fora, and I'm really unhappy with my shoulders.
it seems that only the anterior delt is growing. only real shoulder exercise I use, is the overhead db press.
I've tried side lat raises, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

any words of advise to what I should do??

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
hi

I'm new in this fora, and I'm really unhappy with my shoulders.
it seems that only the anterior delt is growing. only real shoulder exercise I use, is the overhead db press.
I've tried side lat raises, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

any words of advise to what I should do??

If you are doing barbellpress hold your thumbs parallell to the floor :xyxthumbs: by doing so, your body changes slightly and you start to work your side delts more instead of the front...one more thing you could do is, while doing side laterals, point your thumbs down towards the floor...that changes your body a little bit and involves close to only the side delts :xyxthumbs:

Besides that do lots LOTS of rear delt work. Cause its there the shoulder width is :)

K

kralleyeah

lots of rear delt work, got it

which exercises work best??

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
lots of rear delt work, got it

which exercises work best??

I do the barbellpress in a machine or a smith. (With the thumbgrip I mentioned)
Rear laterals with thumbs down
And some rear delt work...if theres no machine or tool for it, I'll use dumbbells