• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dorian Yates' Training Style

C

colossal_saint

can anyone elaborate on this for me?
all i've found out is i think he only did 1 set for each exercise but went to complete muscular failure. but other people have said that, that was bullshit that he did more than 1 set. if someone could just give me the basics of his training that would be great.

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
dorian yates training style is wankerish unless you plan to be hitting the mr. olympia stage within a few years, and even then i wouldnt recomend it because of all the injuries he recieved from it.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
his training style is rough.

Ryan.C

Ryan.C

Watch Dorians blood and guts. His training style is very bright as he gets the most out of each rep. (Absoloute perfect form)

My suggestion would be to have a healthy balance between volume and HIT style workouts.
They both have there draw backs

Volume trainers often make the mistake of sacraficing there form through out the workout doing crappy partials etc

HIT Trainers don't do enough sets as they don't realize that Dorian really took it to the extreme with his training partner in each rep. (which most of us simply are not experienced enough to get it that intense)

Excellent form (ie full range of motion contracting the muscle under control) and reasonable volume is the best way to train. IMO

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
can anyone elaborate on this for me?
all i've found out is i think he only did 1 set for each exercise but went to complete muscular failure. but other people have said that, that was bullshit that he did more than 1 set. if someone could just give me the basics of his training that would be great.

http://www.baye.com/articles/high_intensity_training.php

I would not recommend this training style to anyone; too many flaws...

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
i would recommend this to anyone, i think it is great and it works for me, it just makes sense to do that all out set, instead of holding back on other sets. and he only received the injuries, because of the weight he keprt bombing away at right before the show when hes dieting.

K

kralleyeah

anyone?!?
I thought you needed a min of 3 years of training?!? I've read that somewhere, so you have a solid foundation to build on

mexiFRO

mexiFRO

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So let me get this straight. Each workout consists of like 5 or 6 exercises per body part you are training and you only do one set per exercise but take it to failure everytime? So if I do 185 on the bench 10 times, according to this routine I would take it to like 15 (with a spotter, of course) and then move on to the next exercise/body part?

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So let me get this straight. Each workout consists of like 5 or 6 exercises per body part you are training and you only do one set per exercise but take it to failure everytime? So if I do 185 on the bench 10 times, according to this routine I would take it to like 15 (with a spotter, of course) and then move on to the next exercise/body part?

No, I believe Dorian would actually go to negative failure, not just positive failure - and that may have been after a weight strip. He basically went till he could'nt.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It would certainly be a good addition to a periodized training program for around 6 weeks or so, but it's pretty taxing on the joints for sure. Give it a go for a while and then follow it up by 2 weeks of back off training, then try a more "powerbuilding" type routine, etc.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the common denominator between all the top guys is they were strong as shit over a moderate rep range, do whatever suits you in your training as long as your getting stronger week to week within a reasonable rep range! often less volume is better, especially for natty's, Dorian used to do three workings sets for the majority of his life, its only as he got to the latter stages did he start doing 1 working extended set, he built his foundation with rather sensible training volume......reduced volume

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The dorain style of training wont work if u dont have the intensity to go all out like he does! i prefer doing 3-4 sets of warming up with decent wirght then 1 or 2 heavy all out sets for one particular excerises per training session!

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this guy didnt really get an answer.

you need to go to a site called www.findarticles.com and look up dorian yates, and amongst the shit you will find his monthly flex articles where he outlined his workouts.

basically he did anywhere from 3-6 exercises per bodypart

2 warm ups
1 heavy set to failure (plus a intensity technique, drop set, forced reps etc)

but he recomends beginners and intermediates perform 3 working sets per exercise

but yeah that website has all his flex articles you just gotta sift

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
ive just watched blood and guts... he performed 3-4 warm up sets THen the heavy set to failure