• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

What mental state do you best perform

Do you perform better

• Relaxed/ focused

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Aggressive / focused

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Never thought about this aspect of training before?

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Ryan.C

Ryan.C

I have been experimenting in the gym to increase performance and I was shocked to find that I performed better when relaxed as opposed to aggressive and phyched.

This is a poll to see which mental state people better perform in.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find that some of my best lifts are when I am pissed off or having a really bad day. My strength and intensity sky rocket. Being relaxed at the gym just wont push the weights I throw up, I have to get psyched up. But someone or something pissing me off does it for me.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I usually get mad from the people round me
douchebags
like today
this douche dude came in and starting doing pullups
and failed miserably, then did the most pathetic fucking db curls i've ever seen
then went to bench press, then was talking to that latino chick thats been going there as long as me or if not longer (2004 i joined)
sad shit peoples.
she couldn't care less. bout what he had to say

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i either have to be in a trance or mega furious. anything between that and its like drinking luke-warm water. it isnt gonna be good.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
it has to be a combination of relaxation and aggression. but all focus

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
for me its when im the most relaxed, kinda weird, but if ive had a bad day and im pissed off im not able to focus that well really...

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I choosed Relaxed/ focused..but not too relaxed...cause then I'll just fall asleep..

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
i am an aggressive person by nature, and sure as hell i have the best workouts of my life when im aggressive and 100% focused on the task! i always get my self physched up for the gym!

Champ

Champ

For me it's not so much relaxation or fired up. But it's definately focus + form, my thoughts are more like... lift or die ?

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agressive and focussed but between the lift I'm pretty relaxed

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think I'm more aggressive/focussed.

Although sometimes I find I get my best lifts when I'm not 100% on because I'm nbot expecting so much from myself so there's less pressure.

skid9832004

skid9832004

focused just ready for what i am about to do. If i have a bad day ill usually have a bad workout

A

asdf

To all those who get agressive to train; you will ultimately burn out.

Studies of sports performance have shown that getting "psyched" up to perform can only be down for short boughts at infrequent intervals. The focussed state (not necessarily relaxed) is much better as tension and anger are released so that you can acutally reach your peak. Sprinters are a great example as they can't run at their best when they are tense/angry.

skid9832004

skid9832004

Studies of sports performance have shown that getting "psyched" up to perform can only be down for short boughts at infrequent intervals. The focussed state (not necessarily relaxed) is much better as tension and anger are released so that you can acutally reach your peak. Sprinters are a great example as they can't run at their best when they are tense/angry.

not true at all i need to be relaxed and focused to weightlift but ive also been playing soccer since i was 4 and everytime i have a game i get excited or psyched up not angery though but my heartbeat increases so much like 1 hr b4 the game and i cant stand still (tension)and i still have a love for the game so i dont think im burned out

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Im not doubting this, because it makes sense. Which is why I do the exercises I need to get psyched up for first. But can you show us this study? I would really like to read it. :tiphat:

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I usually get mad from the people round me
douchebags
like today
this douche dude came in and starting doing pullups
and failed miserably, then did the most pathetic fucking db curls i've ever seen
then went to bench press, then was talking to that latino chick thats been going there as long as me or if not longer (2004 i joined)
sad shit peoples.
she couldn't care less. bout what he had to say

Yup, me too. :xyxthumbs:

wayneizgod

wayneizgod

I train much better when im relaxed

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
none of those options.

studies have shown when your happier and you have more endorphins flowing through you will perform better.

Personally I make sure I have plenty of energy, pretty happy/excited to be in there. I'll listen to some sort of 80s pop music, something cheesy that does nothing but make you smile and have a good time.

I try to avoid any sort of aggression while in the gym and don't ever go in there aggressive feeling or angry, I make it a priority to go in there happy and have a good time.