• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Cardio Question

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive just heared we have to spend two weeks with the Dutch military. And if that isnt worse enough were gonna follow the hardest department there is, the commando's. Since its an official exam I have to do it, but I'm not glad about it at all because this means I have to prepare myself by doing conditioning/cardio workouts which will result in muscle loss.

So my question whats the best way to do it? I have 2,5 months to prepare myself and would like to minimize muscle loss and maximize my endurance capability. I dont care about fat loss etc

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
high protein diet preparin and troughout...good amounts of calories
Replenish at any moment avaliable!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats rough bro. The only thing I can think of for a suggestion is to get in some amino's before, after and possibly during enurance training. I like xtend from scivation. I think this would greatly decrease catabolism. Also, make sure your glocogen stores are well loaded before training and replenish them throughout and following training. This way you can make sure you get the best improvement you can in cardiovascular endurance and not be limited by muscle fatigue. As far as the training goes, I would just make sure to keep variety in there and switch things up from day to day whether it be HIIT when time is limited or long distance runs when you have the time. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with creator i take xtend before,during, and after. Its real good in replenishing ure body. Also i think you should just run run run to get ureself conditioned. Or try and fine some kind fo obstacle course to do. Or do the elimenator from american gladiators (lol) jk but those people are dead after that.

ryanbrown0087

ryanbrown0087

scivation xtend, lots of running, lots of stair work, and do full body workouts in the gym with little rest lots of supersetting, keeping your heart rate up, then some more scivation xtend

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
And what about the trainings plan. Should I stay with FB (Rippetoes texas method) which could overtrain my legs or should I change to UB/LB 3 times a week.

I'm planning to do 2-3 times a week cardio

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was thinking something along these lines.Slowly increase the amount of cardio than when strength starts stagnating decrease the amount of cardio to find the balance.

Mon – Max-Effort Upper Body
Teu - HIIT
Wed – Max-Effort Lower Body
Fri – am Cardio pm Repetition Upper Body
Sun - Long distance running

or

Mon - FB Volume
Wed - am HIIT pm FB Recovery
Thu - Cardio
Fri - FB Intensety
Sun - Long distance running

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally, I like the full body routine. Just play it by feel and make sure your DOMS isnt too bad. I dont think you would be at risk of overtraining with that second program you outlined. Just make sure you still have at least one FB workout a week where reps stay low and weight stays up and this will allow you to stay full. Follow that religiously and you will be in crazy ass shape all around in a few months!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Meh, its only 2.5 months. Just try to maintain muscle, then do your 2 weeks, and then it's over. Last thing you want is to get shit for being the jacked up guy who can't keep up with the others.

I like the 2nd, but I think its important to make your workouts have a significant endurance component to it as well (ie, full body movements like DB snatches, bulgarian squats, etc). Bust your ass with cardio.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll go for the second routine. I would be very glad if I can maintain the amount of muscle Ive won over this few months.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Best of luck! let us know how it goes

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Meh, its only 2.5 months. Just try to maintain muscle, then do your 2 weeks, and then it's over. Last thing you want is to get shit for being the jacked up guy who can't keep up with the others.

I like the 2nd, but I think its important to make your workouts have a significant endurance component to it as well (ie, full body movements like DB snatches, bulgarian squats, etc). Bust your ass with cardio.

Ive thought about doing something crossfit-ish. Dunno if thats the way to go but it crossed my mind.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This cardio thing already interferes with my regular training. Did some long distance running yesterday but my quads are so sore today that I couldnt train them :(

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Look at it this way....it stimulates ur legs in a diff way...more potential for growth and definition! dont let it get u down mate!

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This cardio thing already interferes with my regular training. Did some long distance running yesterday but my quads are so sore today that I couldnt train them :(

your legs are sore from running long distance? :confused:

I use to run cross country and run 10-15 miles a week now and have never once gotten sore legs from just running.

:uhoh2: