• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

THE YAMAGISHI CASE

• Thread starter Daniel Andersson
  • Start date
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
On December 8, 2007, IFBB professional bodybuilder Hidetada Yamagishi was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport after a random search of Yamagishi’s luggage found Yamagishi to be in possession of a controlled substance. Yamagishi, a citizen of Japan, was on his way back to California, where he had recently relocated, from his home country. According to documents released by the Superior Court of the State of California for the County of Los Angeles, Yamagishi is charged with six felonies and three misdemeanors.

The felonies are: unlawful possess for sale and purchase for sale a controlled substance, trenbolone; unlawful possess for sale and purchase for sale a controlled substance, testosterone; unlawful possess for sale and purchase for sale a controlled substance chorionic gonadotropin; unlawful possess for sale and purchase for sale of a controlled substance mesterolone; unlawful possess for sale and purchase for sale of a controlled substance, oxandrolone; unlawful transport, import into the state of California, sell, furnish, administer and give away and offer to transport, import into the State of California, sell furnish, administer and give away, and attempt to import into the State of California and transport a controlled substance trenbolone, chorionic gonadotropin, testosterone, mesterolone, oxandrolone and stanozolol.

Yamagishi’s bail was set at $180,000, but because of an immigration hold, he remains incarcerated in the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic, California. Yamagishi has appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court twice, once on January 8 and most recently on January 23. On January 23, the court set a prelim date for February 6. (Click for an account of Yamagishi’s second appearance.)

According to Shawn Chapman Holley, Yamagishi’s attorney, the defense is hoping to prove the quantity of steroids in Yamagishi’s possession make it clear that he was not transporting with the intent to sell.

“It’s clear that the quantity of steroids at issue is consistent with personal use and far less than one would expect to see in a case of sales.,” Chapman Holley said. “Moreover the quantity is consistent with what one would expect to see for a bodybuilder with the competition schedule Hide had posted on his Website before his arrest.”

Yamagishi’s case is being tried in state, not federal court, which is atypical of a case of this nature. That, in part, is why Yamagishi’s case has proceeded at this pace.

“This is an unusual case of state court and that’s part of the reason,” Chapman Holley said. “Everybody in the state court system, myself included, has to be educated on anabolic steroids use and quantities. The state system is generally easier to navigate from a defendant’s standpoint than the federal system, so we’re happy it’s in state court. But it’s just a matter of making sure that everybody understands what is – and more importantly what it is not.”

Since Yamagishi is not a citizen of the United States, he runs the risk of having his visa revoked if he is found guilty on any of the charges. Yamagishi currently has an 01 visa, which is given to people who possess extraordinary talents and abilities, such as professional athletes. Yamagishi also runs the risk of not being allowed re-entry into the US for any period of time, which will put his future as a competitive bodybuilder in jeopardy. That, however, will be a separate immigration case, which will take place after the criminal case has been decided. “All of that is in jeopardy and is almost certainly going to be lost,” Chapman Holley said of the 01 visa. “There’s also likelihood that he will be deported.”

Chapman Holley, however, remains cautiously optimistic. “I am hopeful that on February 6th we will have worked out a deal where, hopefully he will plead guilty to a misdemeanor count and be placed on summary probation with credit for time served and that will be the end of the criminal case.”

“That is going to give him the best chance to be able to come back to the United States and compete. I’m hoping that the district attorney’s office shares my view that those criminal acts, the only person that is placed in any potential jeopardy is Hide, if he chooses to take steroids. And why do we want to destroy this person’s entire career and livelihood and life? He’s been in custody since the time he was arrested, that’s a very long time, and he is going to have a very long immigration fight in front of him, so let’s let that be the punishment.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
As much as I hate the drug laws in this country....If you are a foreigner, it's probably not a good idea to carry around a shitload of illegal drugs when you're at the airport.

:e5dunno:

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
No, I wouldn't think so.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
your right tech.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Total BS, I cant believe we are wasting out time with this BS. Why dont we spend out time and tax dollars getting people that are actually a harm to society or taking substances that are destroying out communities like meth.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As much as I hate the drug laws in this country....If you are a foreigner, it's probably not a good idea to carry around a shitload of illegal drugs when you're at the airport.

:e5dunno:

I agree with that, that was very stupid of him.

B

big_duuude

And now he has a celebrity lawyer a member of the "dream team" that got OJ off, as well as Paris Hilton, britney, etcetera.
Where did he get sufficient funds to hire that calibre of lawyer, selling drugs ??

The plan is to get the 9 counts down to two misdemeanour's and with the time allready served Hide would walk free.
But he could still face the possibility of being deported if his 01 visa status is revoked.