• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Questions with gaining weight

F

Flash

I weight 193lbs right now, im 5'10 and my bf is probably around 15%at the most, I was wondering, im trying to get to at least 225 in the next little bit. I do 30-45mins of cardio a day, and I only do it to stay healthy and not just gain weight. I want to know what are some good gainers, I mean I live in a barricks and Im in the army so eating all through the day isnt really an option, whats a good gainer, im on some est stuff, which is helping but to be honest my favorite bb is Markus Rulh and i know ill never get to his size, but thats what im trying to go for, the huge look. Not so much a look but I am alrdy lifting heavy but I wana be bigger. I dont care for the cut look right now, more for the size and then later cut down. whats the best way with not putting on to much fat? all comments wanted! well be informative, not just o do this, if you could tell me why too, thanks a lot -flash

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh man, all I can say is time.. yur gonna have to put on some fat if you want 30 pounds relatively quickly. Just keep your good fats and good carbs at a max, always make sure of the protein intake. Cytogainer is great, umm yea.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to gain muscle hard and fast, you're most likely going to put on some pounds of 'good' fat. Don't worry about the fat because when you're bulking, your feeding your body excess amounts of calories to sustain the demanding routines. As a result, your body, most likely, will store some of it. You should read some articles around here and maybe the one I made about "Beginning is where it starts." It's a thread that improves every day and it contain's many, vital pieces of info to help people with starting a sound weightlifting career. It's good to do cardio to maintain your energy level and to simply get a stronger heart, but too much will only hinder the repairing process after a workout. If I were you, I'd only do a light cardio inbetween days to just keep up the demand for calories. Too much cardio will only put more stress on your body. I'm guessing the best way you good gain a ton of muscle and little fat is to eat smart. Eat your proteins and carbs which your body needs and try to stay away from the sweets. You can take some awesome supplements like Creatine and Weight Gainers if you have a good enough routine to support it. However, the best thing you could do with such an open-ended question is to just read around. Start asking specifics and that'll definitely help us and you to narrowing it down to what you really want. You can always just private message anyone on a specific question and we'll be glad to help you. All the luck to you!!

-Fatality.

F

Flash

THanks a lot guys, im not worried about gaining fat, just dont want to add anymore then nesicery. thanks a lot if im 193 trying to get to 225/230 how much carbs/cardio should i be doing a day?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To be completely honest, it will be very difficult to gain a good deal of fairly lean mass unless you are able to have a large meal every 2-3 hours for at least five meals a day and up to 8. The cardio everyday will definately make it much harder to gain the weight. I would maybe do the cardio every other day at most and keep it low intensity. It sounds like you live quite an active lifestyle, and depending on just how active, calories will probably need to be around 4,000 to 5,000 split up into several different meals. I would say 30-40% of that protein, 40-50% carbs, and about 20% fat. As far as the weight gainer goes, I wouldnt suggest it. I would stick to things like raw oats and all your quality proteins. But, considering that you are in the army and preparing meals frequently may not be an option, any weight gainer packed with tons of calories from carbs, protein, and fat would help as a last resort. Just make sure you eat at least five meals spread evenly throught the day.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You do not need to eat every 2 hours and/or 8-10 meals per day to gain lean mass. I would say to try to eat at least every 4, though. Basically, just make sure the calories are clean and that you have some sort of frequency (try for 5 meals per day) and you should be good to go. However, if you can only eat 3 times per day then I would say to just look around at what type of gainer you want. I would recommend making your own gainer, though.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dont shoot for a weight just to attain that desired weight. When people do this they generally gain too much bad weight in the process (fat). Like Wolf said below you do not have to eat every few hours but maybe every 4 or so. Try a clean bulk from quality foods like Steak, lean ground beef, chicken, Pork, potato's or yams, rice, oatmeal, etc. A clean bulk will put weight on you when you eat enough of these foods throughout the day and you will be giving your body quality nutrients for you workouts and not all the shit you get from fast food.
Weight gainers can help you throw in extra calories throughout the day, but if you rely soley on them you will get no where. These should be used for replacing a meal you cannot get in, or in between meals.
Make sure you get a lot of rest and lift heavy with lower volume to maximize recovery, with those foods and a weight gainer I think you have a good chance of reaching your goal while looking like a bodybuilder.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I guess where I was going with the 2-3 hours thing is that it is unlikely to expect that someone will get five meals in a day if they go 4 hours inbetween meals. Personally, I am starving after 3 hours and that time frame helps to pace me and I think it is best for my metabolism. Just dont expect to see solid weight gains with a breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I guess where I was going with the 2-3 hours thing is that it is unlikely to expect that someone will get five meals in a day if they go 4 hours inbetween meals. Personally, I am starving after 3 hours and that time frame helps to pace me and I think it is best for my metabolism. Just dont expect to see solid weight gains with a breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine.

I agree, I get hungry after a few hours myself. But for someone that cannot eat anything but breakfast, lunch and dinner then a weight gainer shake in between those meals can get him up to five or six "meals" a day.
And I am one that has made gains, and still do to this day on eating 3 times a day for most days because of my school schedule. So I am not convinced of that hypothesis, however, it may slow your gains down compared to eating every two hours. As long as he eats quality foods and in good enough quantities 3 or 4 times a day along with a protein shake or weight gainer he is good.

Wouldnt you agree? :e5dunno:

F

Flash

thanks guys, its not that 225 is my magic number its just a weight im trying to go for cus i keep staying the same weight at 193-195 but my lifting/weight/reps are going up but im either losing fat or idk whats going on, i went from 195x8 on bench to 225x14 and curls went from 40x5 to 50x8, bent over rows went from 225x10 to 275x10 deadlift 315x3 to 315x 5x2..ect but im still at the same weight, and im not cheating either maybe a little sway but nothing big... idk maybe in time, I just needed to caloric intake/meals per day, thanks a lot guys. however i do goto failure with 4-5exercies per body part with 2 bp cycle a week, should I just do one cycle a week?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks guys, its not that 225 is my magic number its just a weight im trying to go for cus i keep staying the same weight at 193-195 but my lifting/weight/reps are going up but im either losing fat or idk whats going on, i went from 195x8 on bench to 225x14 and curls went from 40x5 to 50x8, bent over rows went from 225x10 to 275x10 deadlift 315x3 to 315x 5x2..ect but im still at the same weight, and im not cheating either maybe a little sway but nothing big... idk maybe in time, I just needed to caloric intake/meals per day, thanks a lot guys. however i do goto failure with 4-5exercies per body part with 2 bp cycle a week, should I just do one cycle a week?

Well on your weight goal, I meant that getting to 225 with 20% bf is not as good as trying to attain that weight or lower with 10% from a quality bulk. I would not go to failure as much as you are, keep the volume low, dont waste your time on sets building up to your max set. Rep it as many times as you can, but not failure every set. List your routine for us to better help you out.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree, I get hungry after a few hours myself. But for someone that cannot eat anything but breakfast, lunch and dinner then a weight gainer shake in between those meals can get him up to five or six "meals" a day.
And I am one that has made gains, and still do to this day on eating 3 times a day for most days because of my school schedule. So I am not convinced of that hypothesis, however, it may slow your gains down compared to eating every two hours. As long as he eats quality foods and in good enough quantities 3 or 4 times a day along with a protein shake or weight gainer he is good.

Wouldnt you agree? :e5dunno:

Yeah if you throw some shakes inbetween I agree for sure. I am jealous of you bastards that can get away with eating three meals a day and still gain wight :disgust: I honestly have to eat 6-7 meals of 500-800 calories a day to gain weight :food-snacking:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah if you throw some shakes inbetween I agree for sure. I am jealous of you bastards that can get away with eating three meals a day and still gain wight :disgust: I honestly have to eat 6-7 meals of 500-800 calories a day to gain weight :food-snacking:

I was like that when I was 18-21... but now my metabolism has slowed down a bit.. which sucks but helps in this area.
Dont get me wrong though, when I can afford it or can do it. I eat about 6-8 times a day. But most of the time I end up eating only 3-4 times a day :disgust:
:tiphat: I commend you on your dedication with your training and meals while going to school. I know its not easy, you seem to be better at it than myself.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was like that when I was 18-21... but now my metabolism has slowed down a bit.. which sucks but helps in this area.
Dont get me wrong though, when I can afford it or can do it. I eat about 6-8 times a day. But most of the time I end up eating only 3-4 times a day :disgust:
:tiphat: I commend you on your dedication with your training and meals while going to school. I know its not easy, you seem to be better at it than myself.

haha yeah I think the ol metabolism in me is still racing! And it probably doesnt help that my university had to put the damn kinesiology building close to a mile away from the other ones. I swear I can stay lean just by running around at school from class to class!

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bottome line is if u want to gain weight u must have the calories. a calorie is a measurement of energy. u need more calories to gain weight and no amount of training on earth wil make u gain weight without calories. Now if u have to eat 3 times day eat 3 big meals. not exactly great for your metabolism or your health bc of the enzymes your pancrease will have to produce, its more stress on your body, and u will probably get more fat like this rather than eating smaller meals with the same amount of calories a day bc of the high insulin levels then the low insulin levels than back high again when u eat bigger meals ect ect rather than a somewhat steady lower level form eating smaller meals all day.

If it were me i would do it like this and im going to get chewed out by other members bc they will talk about nutrient absorbtion but my point of view on this is calories and weight gain.

All three meals would follow this:

60g protein
10g fats
50 g carbs

i would snack on saltless peanuts or some sort of nut between meals, but dont go crazy with them. mabye a cup between each meal or so like 2 handfuls. Eat all the veggies u want with your meals as long asthey arent covered in salt or butter.

Thats my best advice, drink all the water u can bro.

God Bless
Ben

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Perfectly said BigBen, you always come in and settle any disputes and questions. Go with his advice man, it's solid and realiabe; BigBen got me on my feet.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If it were me i would do it like this and im going to get chewed out by other members bc they will talk about nutrient absorbtion but my point of view on this is calories and weight gain.

All three meals would follow this:

60g protein
10g fats
50 g carbs

i would snack on saltless peanuts or some sort of nut between meals, but dont go crazy with them. mabye a cup between each meal or so like 2 handfuls. Eat all the veggies u want with your meals as long asthey arent covered in salt or butter.

Thats my best advice, drink all the water u can bro.

God Bless
Ben

If my calculations are correct that is only like 1590 calories from meals and I doubt that would even make up his RMR. Even with the nuts and snacks, it would be very difficult to make up the remaining probably 2,000 calories he would need to gain any weight at all. Very good advice about the insulin and metabolism though Ben. Along the lines of what Ben said, If you arent eating as many calories as you are burning you will never gain weight. Just play around with how much to eat and until you start gaining weight.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

All I am saying is that one should never go over 4 hours between a meal depending on the size. So, if someone were to eat every 4 hours they would have 5 meals if they have a 16 hour day. It would probably be six meals counting post-training nutrition.