• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How much soy is too much?

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've heard soy is not a good protein for men. Is this true? I just bought some CLIF protein bars at a wholesaler today because they taste awesome and they're really cheap. Didn't really read the ingrediants.

20g protein/bar - but the #1 ingrediant was Soy Protein Isolate. I plan on eating one of these between my morning classes. My question is how much soy is too much? Should I just give these to my mom?

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Depending on your bodies ability to take in protein, I wouldn't go too crazy on the bars; one because whole foods to me are better and two, the price tag can total to a hefty price after a while no matter how low. IMO, I don't like Soy proteins, I like Whey. Here's why. I do some cycling and have researched a bit here for my supplement program, its not an easy question but I hope this gives some insight from what I learned: Whey and soy are nearly identical in branch chain aminos (BCA) and they both meet the total amino acid profile for sedentary adults. However, whey has a slightly higher amount of methionine and cysteine amino acids than soy. Whey also contains higher amounts of the amino acid glutamine which some believe increases ammonia production in the body. Excessive ammonia levels are linked to premature fatigue and decreased performance during workouts but ammonia production is not a big deal when muscles aren't working. You actually produce a great deal of glutamine while muscles are working and you use up far more than any other amino acid--so replacing them post workout is key. Roll it all up, whey gets the nod for use post workout for its biological value (easy to digest), glutamine replacement, and ability to bolster immune function. Soy is a good preworkout protein choice because of its lower glutamine value. There's a reason why the Soy is cheaper, it's because it's not of as 'goog' quality as Whey, but hey, any protein is good protein for your still giving your body the needed supply. Hope this helps!!

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you are correct, soy is no good for men... im not exactly sure why, but there is a huge reason, im sure someone more educated in this field will have the answer for you, if not just google it.. and yes, just give it to your mom lol.. stick to WHEY.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you mean by giving these to your mom, your giving them up?! right? Well, good, pick up some whey bars instead. But why take bars, just pop open a shaker and put some good quality powders in and fill it up with water at the school's water fountain. I'd try to reach for some milk though with it. And not to sound like a dick or anything, but why did you pick up the soy bars even after you knew they weren't as good? Just curious bud, but anyways, I gotta go, I have school tomorrow, catchya later, I hoped I help. :tiphat:

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks fatality and Serb.

I have some whey bars at my house anyway. Like I said I didn't look at the ingrediants, I just saw the 20g protein and looked at the price compared to the others. I'll just use them right before workout and let my mom have her share..they'll be gone in no time. I usually do just take some powder with me but I get tired of it and mix it up every once in a while.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's alright bud, which ever works for you. :xyxthumbs: