• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Am I doing to much?

F

Flash

Im trying to bulk right now and i've gained 4lbs in almost 2 weeks (not much fat to be honest) but my question is : I do 2 body parts a day about 2hours in the gym doing 2body parts plus abs/traps (thats why it takes so long) and i see a difference but would it be better to do one bodyparts a day. Im getting sufficent carbs/protein and the supplements im on help with recovery and muscle growth. So should I do one body part a day or is split okay? I give 110% everytime I goto the gym and then some but since im in the army im tired as hell when im outa the gym at 1900 and I get up at 530-540 every morning. I get at least 6 1/2-7 1/2 hours of sleep and during the day I dont do much physical work. any help,comments would be greatly appreciated.:xyxthumbs:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally I think you're doing too much and not in the most productive manner.

2 hrs in the gym is too much for a FB routine let alone for 2 muscle groups. If you split your routine up any more you are losing all the benefits of frequency which will yield you far greater results. If anything I would reduce your seperate muscle group sessions by even more and either shave off some of the sets or exercises you are doing to get your training time down. Which will also mean you have more time to get much needed sleep.

What is your current routine set up like?

F

Flash

5 exercises per body part with 5 sets (1st set is warm up with 4 working sets) I rest a 60secs-1 1/2 mins between sets. then I kinda drag ass on traps/abs.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sounds too much to me.

3-4 exercises is more than enough (4 for bigger muscle groups, 3 for smaller - possibly only 2 for arms)

4 working sets depending on your rep ranges might be ok. A 5x5 would be good, but for conventional 6-10 rep sets I'd say 3 sets should be alright.

You're just expending energy on too many exercises and sets rather than hitting it with optimum strength - by the end you must just be going through the motions rather than having a positive effect on your muscle growth.

F

Flash

so how many reps/sets for bulking im still hitting 8-12reps and i burnout the last set.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I gotta agree with rocky your overtraining dude...I'd stick to 3-4 Compound exercises for large Muscle groups and 2-3 for smaller ones. 2-3 working sets, 6-10 reps. No need to do warmup sets for every exercise just the first for each muscle group. You shouldnt be in the gym longer than 45-60 minutes. Remember you dont grow in the gym :D

F

Flash

I guess im scared if I dont do enough im not gonna grow as much and im taking a lot mre calories then id normally take in because im trying to bulk right now. Im gonna hit a alri Jw/pro anabol/bad ass mass/ restore cycle in about 2 weeks after im off this current cycle. But I guess I need a layout I think I try to do everything, i need to change it up because ill do back and do thick and width maybe I should do thickness one day and width the other time it comes around. I guess ill refine my current workout and post it for criticism/comments

F

Flash

I gotta agree with rocky your overtraining dude...I'd stick to 3-4 Compound exercises for large Muscle groups and 2-3 for smaller ones. 2-3 working sets, 6-10 reps. No need to do warmup sets for every exercise just the first for each muscle group. You shouldnt be in the gym longer than 45-60 minutes. Remember you dont grow in the gym :D

I just dont feel like im getting enough outa 3 exercises, I have so much energy i expend but theres crap loads after and i dont feel my muscle group is getting a good enough workout

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just dont feel like im getting enough outa 3 exercises, I have so much energy i expend but theres crap loads after and i dont feel my muscle group is getting a good enough workout

I use to feel the same way...you gotta get use to lifting heavy and going all out on those 2-3 working sets. If done properly you shouldnt have much left after 3 or so exercise meaning like 6-9 sets. Like i said man you DONT grow in the gym.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is an easy trap to fall into. I used to be the same way - more = better, and I still fell the urge to do more when I'm at the gym and feel I have the energy. Don't get suckered in - train smart. Just know that you don't need to do so many exercises and sets! You'll grow better!!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like Rocky said train smart. There is no need to do a shitload of sets/reps and exercises. Plan your workouts and stick to it. That way you can evaluate the workout plan and see how your body reacts to the training. Weightlifting is a learning proces which you can learn thru trail and error. Somtime you win sometimes you lose and if you lose you know what not to do which is valuable information for setting up a new plan.