• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Training every Muscle once a Week

Scarface

Scarface

I was thinking about doing a 3-Split like this:

Monday : Chest, Biceps, Trapz
Wednesday : Legs, Abs
Friday : Back, Triceps, Shoulders

or

Monday : Chest, Shoulders, Trapz
Wednesday : Quads, Hams, Biceps, Triceps
Friday : Back, Calves, Abs

I want to work every Muscle once a Week. 12 Sets for Big muscles. 9 Sets for smaller Muscles...

MY QUESTIONS:
1.Which Split is better? The first or second?
2.Will the Muscles start to grow smaller when they are trained only once a Week?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I'm doing close to the first slit.
And no your muscles wont start to shrink, just give them enough stimulation and they will grow

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why not opt for a full body routine instead?

Scarface

Scarface

Isnt a Full Body Routine more something for Beginners?
Ive been doing a 2Split for quite some time can I also make Muscle Gains with a Full Body Routine?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line has made the exact points I was just going to.

FB is as much an intermediate and advanced routine as it is a beginner if constructed and executed properly.

Scarface

Scarface

Can you give me Example for a Full Body Routine?
Which exercises, how many sets etc.?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squats- 4 sets
Bench press-4 sets
Deadlift-4 sets
Standing overhead press-3 sets
Barbell curl-3 sets
Close grip bench press-3 sets

alternate with

Front squats-4 sets
Incline bench press-4sets
Bent over row-4 sets
Seated millitary press-3 sets
Barbell curl close grip-3 sets
Skull crusher-3 sets

alternate with

Squats-4 sets
Bench press-4sets
Wide grip pull up-4 sets
Wide grip up-right rows-3 sets
Barbell curl-3 sets
Close grip bench press-3 sets

There is your weeks workouts. Sessions should be performed after a warm up and with brutal intensity.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I disagree on the FB routines, but to each his own. :e5dunno:

Line said:
Yes, you'd make better gains.

Says who? And can you or any scientific evidence back it up? If so, I would be willing to consider it. But I do not see how the muscle's could be stimulated enough to get maximum hypertrophy and enough rest at the same time...
If there is a study posted it cannot be biased. Also, if you implement full body compared to a once a week split can you tell us how it has compared for you personally rather than a once a week split. I like to see science on paper, but also personal experiences because something that looks great on paper does not always work well in real life.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I believe FB routines can be very benificial to somebody for their first couple to few years of lifting but as you get to the advanced stages and very advanced stages, I would recommend that body part splits are implemented.

edit: and by advanced, I mean competitive amatuers and pros.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Says who? And can you or any scientific evidence back it up? If so, I would be willing to consider it. But I do not see how the muscle's could be stimulated enough to get maximum hypertrophy and enough rest at the same time...
If there is a study posted it cannot be biased. Also, if you implement full body compared to a once a week split can you tell us how it has compared for you personally rather than a once a week split. I like to see science on paper, but also personal experiences because something that looks great on paper does not always work well in real life.

I used to do 1 muscle group a week and swore by it for years and to be fair I got reasonable gains from it but none as consistent and regular as I'm making since I'v increased frequency. That is my own personaly experience from it anyway - it is quite difficult to break from a routine especially one you're getting results from and when you train like this you do less sets and exercises per muscle group so the temptation to want to do more is always there and when you hold back knowking you don't need to the gains keep coming. Just my 2 cents!

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ive done fullbody once and i didnt like it, i too believe theyre ok for beginners, to build a base, but a split lets me focus more on individual muscle groups and bringing up weak points etc. a certain amount of blood volume works fine for me, but to each his own, im not gonna say that anyone making gains from fullbody routines should stop doing that. i like going into the gym thinking, ok today im gonna tear up chest and triceps, not chest, back, legs, arms and abs. for me that would be to distracting and i wouldnt feel like i stimulated each muscle enough. in the end it kinda comes down to what u like doing too, i mean training should be fun, so if u do something ure having fun doing, and ure looking forward to going to the gym then ull probably make gains from it.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to do 1 muscle group a week and swore by it for years and to be fair I got reasonable gains from it but none as consistent and regular as I'm making since I'v increased frequency. That is my own personaly experience from it anyway - it is quite difficult to break from a routine especially one you're getting results from and when you train like this you do less sets and exercises per muscle group so the temptation to want to do more is always there and when you hold back knowking you don't need to the gains keep coming. Just my 2 cents!

Hmmm, I am curious about it. I am thinking that increasing the frequency wont hurt you because the volume is low each day and just high intensity. Kind of like what I do now, but I do a once a week split.
If I do not continue to grow, or need to switch it up I will give it a try. I do not like to throw something aside completely when it comes to training. I have done that before and then later on I end up using it and it works great. Ultimately in the gym we are always learning and experimenting to find what works best for us.
Muscle Hypertrophy is still a somewhat unknown phenominon with dozens of theories on how to best induce it. If it was an exact science, and we fully understood it we would have a holy grail style of training that everyone uses. So what I am trying to say is, im not throwing it aside and I may give it a shot to see how it works. I am sure I will not lose anything in the process, if anything I can just maintain or best case scenario.. gains :D

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
personally if you are getting stronger in reps of weight lifted week to week, than your program should be inducing hypertrophy, provided correct form and adeqaute rest and nutrition is their!

we choose different paths to get their, but as long as we are getting there, the best program is the one where you increase your strength the quickest, some people thrive on lower volume and higher frequency, some like to smash it and leave it a week etc.

personally ive seen great gains doing DC, with increased frequency and moderately low volume, but i built a lot of my foundation on higher volume splits, as well as hitting a bodypart every 9 days, which worked quite well too! you just gotta make sure its enough to stimulate growth without going overboard, a program has got to be effeicient and not waste time, its quality not quantity (volume) in the gym

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

absolutely agree with you 1000%. there is no way an advanced or even intermediate bodybuilder (which i'm under the impression most peope on the forum consider themselves) could benefit from FB. that's like something i did back when i seriously knew nothing and just wanted to move some weight around. fullbody shit is good for little beach body boys not real bbers

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
absolutely agree with you 1000%. there is no way an advanced or even intermediate bodybuilder (which i'm under the impression most peope on the forum consider themselves) could benefit from FB. that's like something i did back when i seriously knew nothing and just wanted to move some weight around. fullbody shit is good for little beach body boys not real bbers

Please elaborate.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Please elaborate.

there is just no way your body can receive enough stimulation when you are trying to cover all of it at once. unless you are planning on spending 4 hours in the gym:iorofl:. and where does the recovery time fit in??? the body has a very limited capacity to recover (especially if you are natural) and fullbody routines are useless if size and strength gains are what your looking for. again, if i'm a little 170lb skater looking to get a "toned" body for the summer i'm all about it. but otherwise......this FB routine has no place

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
there is just no way your body can receive enough stimulation when you are trying to cover all of it at once. unless you are planning on spending 4 hours in the gym:iorofl:. and where does the recovery time fit in??? the body has a very limited capacity to recover (especially if you are natural) and fullbody routines are useless if size and strength gains are what your looking for. again, if i'm a little 170lb skater looking to get a "toned" body for the summer i'm all about it. but otherwise......this FB routine has no place

1. "Enough stimulation"? Please define the metrics.
2. Recovery takes roughly 48 hours, which is exactly the amount of time between FB sessions if done 3 times a week.
3. You can't get gains on an FB routine other than "toning"? :49:

You obviously know everything about training.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. "Enough stimulation"? Please define the metrics.
2. Recovery takes roughly 48 hours, which is exactly the amount of time between FB sessions if done 3 times a week.
3. You can't get gains on an FB routine other than "toning"? :49:

You obviously know everything about training.

so if recovery takes 48 hours, than i should be able to bomb away at my legs oh what 3 times a week and expect to see any kind improvement :jerkoff1:
and by enough stimulation, i mean enough effort is put into the muscle to give it reason to hypertrophy. for a beginner, it could work, but anyone with a good base of muscle is going to find it very difficult to make improvement training everything at once and then waiting a whopping two days and repeating the cycle.

aww shucks i don't think i know everything about training :weaksuace:, but as someone who has experienced full body routines and is now a personal trainer, i think i'm reasonably knowledgeable

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so if recovery takes 48 hours, than i should be able to bomb away at my legs oh what 3 times a week and expect to see any kind improvement :jerkoff1:
and by enough stimulation, i mean enough effort is put into the muscle to give it reason to hypertrophy. for a beginner, it could work, but anyone with a good base of muscle is going to find it very difficult to make improvement training everything at once and then waiting a whopping two days and repeating the cycle.

aww shucks i don't think i know everything about training :weaksuace:, but as someone who has experienced full body routines and is now a personal trainer, i think i'm reasonably knowledgeable

Quit posting the jerkoff smiley to attack members. /warn

If you don't even know the very basics of muscle cells, what makes you think you have anything to offer in this discussion?

You keep making random claims without backing them either with arguments or facts. Being a personal trainer is NOT a token of physiological knowledge.