• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

is tuna bad????

HATER

HATER

hey guys, i was at the grocery store today buying my foods, including tuna. Then the thought came to my mind, i've been eating 1 can of tuna 5 or 6 days a week, is this really healthy??..........i mean, isn't there small doses of mercury in each can. I might sound stupid right now, but the thought's been bugging me all day. Any input on this??

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
benefits- it is a relatively inexpensive source of high-quality protein, low in saturated fat and contains omega-3 fatty acids

not so beneficial- the levels of mercury found in Tuna, exceed the allowed limit.. not sure if you know the downfalls of mercury but its horrible for your, it affects your brain, central nervous system and so on..

bottom line- its great once in a while, but i wouldn't go overboard on it..

http://buildingbodies.ca/exercise/index.php/mercury-in-canned-tuna-fish-a-toxic-element/

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good advice man

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive red about that before. I eat about tuna about 5 times a week :(

V

vdawg

i eat it before my workouts, one can and a large apple is my pre workout meal

Mach

Mach

Damn, didn't know it was that bad. I have it about 4-6 times a week.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i hate tuna.. its the worst ass tasting shit there is.. sure its cheap, but in all honesty. blahhh, i rather pay more for some tasty chicken breast or steak..

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i eat about 14 cans per week, good and cheap protein source:)

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i eat about 14 cans per week, good and cheap protein source:)

thats way too much tuna!!! if you are going to eat that much you need to consider a colon mercury detox.. or else have fun with these long term side effects..

* remors affecting the hands that may progress to other parts of the body
* neuromuscular weakness, muscle twitching, and muscle atrophy
* polyneuropathy-- parathesias (numbness in fingers and toes), hyperactive tendon reflexes, slowed sensory and motor nerve conduction velocities with gait ataxia
* slurred speech
* memory loss and decreased performance in cognitive functioning
* emotional lability known as “erethism” : irritability, extreme nervousness, shyness, and loss of confidence
* fatigue
* headaches
* insomnia
* visual loss – constriction of visual fields
* hallucinations
* hearing loss

V

vdawg

my body thrives on mercury!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thats way too much tuna!!! if you are going to eat that much you need to consider a colon mercury detox.. or else have fun with these long term side effects..

* remors affecting the hands that may progress to other parts of the body
* neuromuscular weakness, muscle twitching, and muscle atrophy
* polyneuropathy-- parathesias (numbness in fingers and toes), hyperactive tendon reflexes, slowed sensory and motor nerve conduction velocities with gait ataxia
* slurred speech
* memory loss and decreased performance in cognitive functioning
* emotional lability known as “erethism” : irritability, extreme nervousness, shyness, and loss of confidence
* fatigue
* headaches
* insomnia
* visual loss – constriction of visual fields
* hallucinations
* hearing loss

damn, that doesent sound fun, actually ive noticed numbness in fingers and toes from time to time:ughnoes: but i eat that skipjack tuna, u know its made from smaller tuna which generally is suppoesed to contain alot less mercury:food-snacking:

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
damn, that doesent sound fun, actually ive noticed numbness in fingers and toes from time to time:ughnoes: but i eat that skipjack tuna, u know its made from smaller tuna which generally is suppoesed to contain alot less mercury:food-snacking:

well thats good.. i just hope it doesnt affect you in the long run, there are other ways of getting solid protein without eating that junky tuna..

patdiddy

patdiddy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice info Serb. I used to eat alot of tuna threw the week and since i started my diet i was gonna start eating more. What about Tilapia? Same thing as for the tuna?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok so ive almost completely stopped tuna, and replaced it with eggs and chicken. can actually feel im filling out more. thanks for the info serb:)

P

PerfectFormula

I thought stuff like that was supposed to be monitored by the FDA? How are they allowed to get away with mercury in food?

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i hate tuna.. its the worst ass tasting shit there is.. sure its cheap, but in all honesty. blahhh, i rather pay more for some tasty chicken breast or steak..

Agree 100%

<3Frosty

Chunk light tuna is the best tuna in canned form. Specifically, the skipjack chunk light tuna. Yellow fin is bad, and normal albacore (non-long fin) is bad as well. It seems, the cheapest tuna is one of the healthiest in terms of mercury amounts. Go figure.

However, it appears that fish overall has gotten a pretty bad wrap, and the benefits of eating fish outweigh the risks in many cases. (At least, when consuming in moderate amounts).

I used to pretty up and up on this stuff, but didnt realize the recommended dose is only about a serving or two a week. I ate about 2 cans of tuna a day for the past few weeks. :|

I have to keep myself reminded of certain foods to avoid in high amounts it seems. Oh well. So much for cheap eating. :(

The study also points out that only 9% of the PCBs and dioxins in the U.S. food supply come from fish and other seafood; more than 90% comes from other foods such as meats, vegetables, and dairy products.

There is great public confusion over the risks of eating seafood. "Unfortunately, the media and others may have contributed to this confusion by greatly exaggerating the unsubstantiated claim of a health risk from fish. These results from over two decades of research clearly show there is a health risk if adults don't eat fish," said Rimm.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061018094758.htm

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to eat it out of a bag unwillingly. I HATE the taste of tuna. but chicken isn't too expensive, it just takes way to long to cook.

<3Frosty

I used to eat it out of a bag unwillingly. I HATE the taste of tuna. but chicken isn't too expensive, it just takes way to long to cook.

I cook my chicken on a non-stick pan, and it takes an average of 10 minutes. If not less. How fast do you want your food? :dunnodude:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love the taste of tuna.
just hard to eat right out of the can
need spoon fork.