• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ronnie Coleman Comeback?

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Flexonline.com said:
We heard it last night on Pro Bodybuilding Weekly, but we've heard it before. So, after hearing the rumors that eight-time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman was seriously contemplating a return to the stage in 2009, we decided to hear it from the man himself.

"Yeah," Coleman told FLEXONLINE.COM this afternoon, "I'll come back and probably be doing the Arnold [Classic] or something like that. Or some big European show. I’m really big in Europe and people appreciate me a whole lot over there. I'm really thinking Australia [for the Australian Grand Prix], that’s a big possibility."

Coleman, who says he was weighing around 295 pounds at the Arnold Classic last weekend, said he hasn't been in the gym since October, the longest stretch of time he has taken away from training in more than 20 years.

"I’m recovering pretty good," Coleman said. "I'm enjoying the break, but I'm getting a lttle out of shape. I can tell I have to start hitting it pretty soon."

Coleman, who owned the Olympia stage from 1998 to 2005, finished fourth at the 2007 Olympia, a contest he said would be his final competition. However, on an appearance on PBW before the Olympia, Coleman hinted that he was considering a return to competition, only not on the Olympia stage. By the time Coleman returns to competition - assuming he decides to compete in the 2009 Australian Grand Prix, he will be 44 years old. Coleman, however, claims age will not be a factor in his return.

"It's really hard for me to take off this year," Coleman said. "I guess I’m just so used to competing and getting up on stage. It's all I’ve known for the past 16, 17, 18 years. It doesn’t take much for me to get fired up to compete. With me, this will be the first time I've had a whole year off, so I know that I can’t get worse. I can only get better. I’ll be pretty close to [100 percent].

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
It sounds good like that. I just hope he doesn't come back if he's not 100%. Ronnie will only be symmetric when his back is as it used to be, and his left leg and tricep as they where before. I hope he can make it, it would be really fun to see him onstage again :xyxthumbs:

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sadly he'll never be able to fix those injuries :tear:

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think so too... Branch managed to come in looking good even though he suffered some injuries. Hopefully Ronnie can do the same...but I doubt it. He really shouldn't make a comeback if he's not healed.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

i was thinking the same.. i know Ronnie still has it in him to compete and be a very good competitor, but those injuries are just too much :crymeariver:

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
please just stay retired Ron....

D

d.capodiferro

coleman does have to come back.
he is bb.
at least until another champion(dennis wolf or somebody else)comes out.
i guess he could win even with not perfect simmetry.

G

G Unit

It sounds good like that. I just hope he doesn't come back if he's not 100%. Ronnie will only be symmetric when his back is as it used to be, and his left leg and tricep as they where before. I hope he can make it, it would be really fun to see him onstage again :xyxthumbs:

agreed totally

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
patdiddy

patdiddy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well i wish Big Ron all the best and would love to see him make a comeback but only if he can do something about those injuries the best he can.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whilst I think his legacy will be tainted by making what will inevitably be a lacklustre return you can't fault the guy's love for the sport - it's just in his blood!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
coleman does have to come back.
he is bb.
at least until another champion(dennis wolf or somebody else)comes out.
i guess he could win even with not perfect simmetry.

... see his gift 4th place finish in the Olympia.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
as long as his fans still support him, and he still endures and loves the sport, its okay !

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dont get these athletes that come out of retirement....its never a good thing. Dont ruin what ppl remember. He had a great out going speech etc. He needs to pursue other things within bodybuilding, he obviously loves the sport and you cant deny him wanting to return but i think its a mistake.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thing is, bodybuilding is not a "skilled" sport. It's not like Michael Jordan, or Mario Lemieux coming back to their sports where physically they might be a 1/2 a step behind where they once were, but they still had the skill to make up for that.

Ronnie's physique is probably ruined, and at 45 years old next year, he's not going to fix that.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thing is, bodybuilding is not a "skilled" sport. It's not like Michael Jordan, or Mario Lemieux coming back to their sports where physically they might be a 1/2 a step behind where they once were, but they still had the skill to make up for that.

Ronnie's physique is probably ruined, and at 45 years old next year, he's not going to fix that.

But even those guys made mistakes IMO...they took away some of the luster of there careers. PPL remember them from shitty comebacks etc not so much the great athletes they were prior to the comeback. I dunno i think its a bad idea for any athlete

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Honestly, I think anyone who says he should "stay retired" should stop and think more about before typing.

What is Ronnie competing for? Certainly not your approval.

Ronnie loves bodybuilding. Should he stop just because YOU don't want to see him look different than he did at his prime? Ronnie obviously likes bodybuilding. After having dominated the Olympia for so many years, he has nothing left to prove. But, he still enjoys what he does, and wants to continue.... what's the problem? He ain't competing for money, fame, or recognition anymore. The man just wants to bodybuild. It's been the focus of his entire life, so why should he give it up?

If you loved playing baseball, would you quit playing just because you aren't as good as you used to be?

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
If you loved playing baseball, would you quit playing just because you aren't as good as you used to be?
Comparing something you're not quite as skilled at as you once were to something that could do serious bodily harm (or worse) to an already injured athlete isn't the way analogies typically work.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I already said...you cant deny him coming back because he obviously loves the sport. But why retire in the first place? lol he hasnt even been retired a year yet. eitherway he will do what he wants and all the power to him. Im just saying it takes away from there previously great careers.