• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

5x5 good for adding size or no

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would like to try this program and I was wondering if it was a good way to add size or if its just for strength.

Thanks for the help in advance..

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it is a great way to add size and strength but I would suggest doing some lighter (higher reps) days. The 5x5 doesnt leave room for variety in volume, reps. I would just throw in higher rep days here and there quite often just to keep the muscle guessing and to make sure the all fibers are adequately stimulated.

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks mr creator

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I personally really like 5x5, great for the major compound movements. I found it great for my strength and size gains.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I tried the 5X5 training style and it didn't work for me
but then again I was forced into only being allowed to do a training split that was divided into 3 days.
day 1: Incline, decline, and flat bench
day 2: power cleans and military press
day 3: Back Squats and dead lift
it didn't work out well for me my maxes all dropped most significantly in my bench press I lost 20 pounds and my size actually went down

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Dips 3xFailure

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull-ups/Chin-ups 3xF

Does this look good

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5x5 by itself is an excellent method for size and strength.

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the answers so far

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
split looks pretty good, but like Creator said I'd throw in some high rep days with machines, isolation stuff, etc.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5x5 is a great way to train. I personally prefer German Volume Training which is 10x10 and I like to do that every few weeks to keep the body guessing.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you know i was considering trying this to help my squat out. it seems to me to be more of a strength thing but you gotta get strong before you get big so i think it would be a great thing to try. i could see how it could possibly work for size but i bet it's great for strength gains

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
day 1: forearms: wrist-curls 5x5, reverse wrist-curls 5x5, reverse arm-curls 5x5
day 2: triceps: over-head DB ext. 5x5, Push-downs 5x5, kick-backs 5x5
day 3: calves: calf-raise 5x5, seated calf-raise 5x5, donkey-raise 5x5
day 4: abs: crunch 5x5, pelvic-tilt 5x5, hanging knee-raise 5x5
day 5: traps: DB shrugs 5x5, BB shrugs 5x5, upright rows 5x5
day 6: delts: behind-neck press 5x5, front-raise 5x5, lateral raise 5x5, BO lateral raise 5x5
day 7: quads: leg-extension 1x5, leg-press 1x5, stretch 1x5
day 8: back: hyper-extensions 5x5, behind-neck pull-down 5x5, CG pull-down 5x5
day 9: obliques: DB side-bends 5x5, squats 1x5, broomstick twists 5x5
day 10: repeat

Oh, and change splits every 2 weeks to keep the muscles guessing! When muscle realizes that its confused, it WILL grow! FACT! Muscle gets easily confused by altering between high and low reps. Also doing curls on different preacher-benches will confuse your biceps totally! Muscle is naive! When doing 5x5 the muscles just go like: "WTF??? I'm totally confused so now I'll just GROW!!!???"

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
day 1: forearms: wrist-curls 5x5, reverse wrist-curls 5x5, reverse arm-curls 5x5
day 2: triceps: over-head DB ext. 5x5, Push-downs 5x5, kick-backs 5x5
day 3: calves: calf-raise 5x5, seated calf-raise 5x5, donkey-raise 5x5
day 4: abs: crunch 5x5, pelvic-tilt 5x5, hanging knee-raise 5x5
day 5: traps: DB shrugs 5x5, BB shrugs 5x5, upright rows 5x5
day 6: delts: behind-neck press 5x5, front-raise 5x5, lateral raise 5x5, BO lateral raise 5x5
day 7: quads: leg-extension 1x5, leg-press 1x5, stretch 1x5
day 8: back: hyper-extensions 5x5, behind-neck pull-down 5x5, CG pull-down 5x5
day 9: obliques: DB side-bends 5x5, squats 1x5, broomstick twists 5x5
day 10: repeat

Oh, and change splits every 2 weeks to keep the muscles guessing! When muscle realizes that its confused, it WILL grow! FACT! Muscle gets easily confused by altering between high and low reps. Also doing curls on different preacher-benches will confuse your biceps totally! Muscle is naive! When doing 5x5 the muscles just go like: "WTF??? I'm totally confused so now I'll just GROW!!!???"

The ghost of JornT lives! :keke:

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5x5 is great, have tried it myself. Got a lot stronger along with some nice mass gains.

A

animalkja

5x5 is good but if you really want to put mass on you should drop all cardio and make your workouts only last 45 to 50mins and squeeze as many differ things in you can and once the time is up your done no matter what. i would make sure at the end of the workout you do 1 very high set to flood the muscle with blood and totally kill it. def works for me. i think some body parts should be higher rep like shoulders and legs i usually do about 10 reps and my legs grow like no other just sharing what works for me good luck

A

animalkja

i dont agree with 20 inchgun at all you dont need to be strong to get huge bodybuilding is about hitting all differ fibers not getting super strong