• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Post Workout/Cardio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanav

Kanav

I usually did my cardio in the mornings but now since my job starts way earlier and I have to start getting up at 4 to make it into work, I decided to do cardio directly after my weight training.

Question is though, should I be having my usual post workout nurtrition (protein shake, banana and oatmeal) before I start the cardio or should I have it after?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What are your current goals?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd say it's up to how you feel..

Glycogen is depleted after a weight training session, so your body could potentially use fat as a fuel source. I'd try both, see what your body responds to better.

I'd say have your meal after cardio..

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would say as long as you are keeping your weight training to a reasonable time frame (45 mins), wait until after you get done doing the cardio to have your post-workout meal. I think you will find that you will get an upset stomach if you take it before hand. Digestion requires a lot of the body's blood.

faiz

faiz

after. because glycogen is depleted you will burn fat during cardio

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How much cardio are you doing? I wouldn't overdue it post-workout, your glycogen stores are already depleted.

If I were you, I'd begin sipping your shake within the last 5 minutes of your cardio session.

faiz

faiz

you have to be kidding me? ^^^^

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you have to be kidding me? ^^^^
Absolutely not. From the looks of this thread, he's doing all his cardio postworkout. This means he's most likely going over
25 minutes each day.

What did you expect? Maybe he should hold off another hour from nutrition after his cardio session since he's still burning calories? Give me a break, it is imperative he replenishes muscle glycogen. Anyone who argues differently is wrong.

faiz

faiz

No, i'm just at amazed at people these days. "HARDCORE"

People tend to act like they are some muscle mass monsters any little bit of catabolism will waste away precious muscle..

Have you diet down before?

drink your shake after cardio..

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd do your cardio and then have the shake, it sounds like a good post cardio meal. Ideally, as Flex mentioned, it'd be good to separate them but in your case this isn't possible. Depends on how much you are cutting, glycogen depletion is associated with increased fat burning (1).

1) Optimizing fat oxidation through exercise and diet. Nutrition. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(7-8):716-27

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No, i'm just at amazed at people these days. "HARDCORE"

People tend to act like they are some muscle mass monsters any little bit of catabolism will waste away precious muscle..

Have you diet down before?

drink your shake after cardio..
You sure arn't too bright, I never said chug his shake. There is not one reason why SIPPING a shake minutes before your cardio session is over could be non-beneficial. If you've got your shake with you, you might as will begin SIPPING it; if you're using bananas and oatmeal you have no choice but to hold off until afterwards.

I love the way you say "a little bit of catabolism" when he's probably doing 45+ minutes of cardio post-workout every workout. Very few times have I done cardio post-workout, when I do it's very light because it's not optimal to overdue it. I've dieted down several times, and from the sound of it far more efficiently than you.

Sip your shake, it makes you HARDCORE!!!11

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Depends on how much you are cutting, glycogen depletion is associated with increased fat burning (1).

1) Optimizing fat oxidation through exercise and diet. Nutrition. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(7-8):716-27
As far as I know only through the depletion of muscle glycogen though, right? Morning cardio is more off the depletion of
liver glycogen, thus I don't see it as effective as a small amount post-workout. You just have to be careful how much
you do.

Kanav

Kanav

Yeah Im still a little worried about burning off too much muscle, but I was figuring maybe 30-40 minutes since Ive got a fair bit of fat to burn off.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As far as I know only through the depletion of muscle glycogen though, right? Morning cardio is more off the depletion of
liver glycogen, thus I don't see it as effective as a small amount post-workout.

Mostly, though lower liver glycogen would be a stimulus as well.

I think the important thing is to define and quantify "depletion", for example, a study (1) found that subjects who performed 5 sets each of squats, leg press and leg extensions had only depleted one third of glycogen, so it depends. A typical weight training workout won't "deplete" glycogen all that much, and it will be replenished.

1) Muscle metabolism during intense, heavy resistance exercise. Eur J appl Physiol; 55: 363.

Yeah Im still a little worried about burning off too much muscle, but I was figuring maybe 30-40 minutes since Ive got a fair bit of fat to burn off.

It's more difficult to burn muscle than you'd think, especially if you think you have a lot of fat to lose. To take it further, since you are cutting, I would advise actually cooking the oatmeal and adding the protein to that, and making a meal out of it.

Kanav

Kanav

Mostly, though lower liver glycogen would be a stimulus as well.

I think the important thing is to define and quantify "depletion", for example, a study (1) found that subjects who performed 5 sets each of squats, leg press and leg extensions had only depleted one third of glycogen, so it depends. A typical weight training workout won't "deplete" glycogen all that much, and it will be replenished.

1) Muscle metabolism during intense, heavy resistance exercise. Eur J appl Physiol; 55: 363.

It's more difficult to burn muscle than you'd think, especially if you think you have a lot of fat to lose. To take it further, since you are cutting, I would advise actually cooking the oatmeal and adding the protein to that, and making a meal out of it.

You mean microwaving the oatmeal and dumping protein powder into the mix?

Whats the difference?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You mean microwaving the oatmeal and dumping protein powder into the mix?

Whats the difference?

Yes. It is more filling.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Muscle protein is not the body's ideal energy substrate. It is very difficult to burn a lot of muscle as energy if stores of other substrates are depleted however, if you are somebody that doesnt have much muscle to spare then I wouldnt risk it. I recently had this discussion with my physiology teacher and this is the basic break down that he gave me:
1) If you have the carbohydrates available to use for energy via glycogen, then low to moderate intensity exercise for most individuals will result in calories burned coming from approximately 60% fat and 40% carbohydrates with very little, if any, muscle broken down.
2) If glycogen is COMPLETELY depleted, the body will derive its energy from approximately 80-85% fat and 15-20% muscle proteins.

I have always been against doing cardio on an empty stomach because I feel like shit and I know, even if it is a small amount, I am using muscle for energy and the extra 20% of fat that I will burn just isnt worth the muscle. My suggestion would be to sip on a small amount of aminos and fast acting carbs after your weight training and before/during your cardio. I prefer a mixture of Xtend and gatorade powder. The aminos will help to prevent catabolism and the glycogen will help along the same lines as well as helping you to feel like you have more energy. And then after your cardio, you can have your full post-workout meal. I think you would be fine with a short weight training session (30-40 mins) and then 20 mins of cardio and the having your shake but, IMO going a full weight training session and then 45 mins of cardio without bringing in any calories is not a wise decision.

faiz

faiz

You sure arn't too bright, I never said chug his shake. There is not one reason why SIPPING a shake minutes before your cardio session is over could be non-beneficial. If you've got your shake with you, you might as will begin SIPPING it; if you're using bananas and oatmeal you have no choice but to hold off until afterwards.

I love the way you say "a little bit of catabolism" when he's probably doing 45+ minutes of cardio post-workout every workout. Very few times have I done cardio post-workout, when I do it's very light because it's not optimal to overdue it. I've dieted down several times, and from the sound of it far more efficiently than you.

Sip your shake, it makes you HARDCORE!!!11

Post pics big man...

Status
Not open for further replies.