• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

rate my split!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
courtneysimpson_high-quality_02.jpg

lolol

But seriously

As some of you will know I am a bit of a cat and the last 2 years I have barely touched weights at all. Anywho thats the past. I just put together a whole month! of weight training to get me back into the swing of things and am ready to start trying to get stronger. So heres my program I want to know if I need more support exercises or if this will do to get things started. Primary goal is to be strong over the big 3 and increase my upper body measurements(not giving you figures because I am piss poor everything at the moment cept for leg size) . :ugh: I have time constraints with the time i can put into training. I work 6 days out of 7 so it really leaves me only a bit of time to hit it up So i have to consider that as well. Also I train alone in my shed.

Day one Light pull
Bent Over rows supine grip 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Good mornings 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Barbell Curls 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Wrist curls(supine and pronate) 3-4 sets 8-12 reps

Day two Heavy Push
Bench press 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
Standing milatary press 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
Back squat 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
Weight calf raise 5-6 sets 4-6 reps

Day three resty for the testy

day four heavy pull
Weighted chinups underhand grip 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
stiffy legged deadlifts 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
Barbell curls 5-6 sets 4-6 reps
Plate Pinches...

Day 5 Light push
Squat 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Close grip bench press 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Vibration plate pushups 3-4 sets modify vibration level and progress in reps +(eventually) add extra weight
Vibration plate one legged calf raise 3-4 sets modify vibration level and progress in reps

So there it is. I want feedback. (dont just hit me with drop the vibrator either) Oh as well. I have has grief with my lower back in the past. so far so good but im pretty sure ill never do a convential deadlift again. stiffies and sumos are all ill be willing to do until im confident again.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looks pretty good to me. Considering the back issues and time constraints - I think you are making the most of what you have. The only thing that stands out to me is Day 1 looks like a bit of a "non-event" day. Whilst bent rows and good mornings are all well and good I would think you'd need a more all round compound, but then given your split and time issue you may find it too much with the rest of the sessions you've set yourself.

More pics of girl? :spy:

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
yeah i was thinking day one might be a bit soft. I could do high rep stiffies which would involve my upperbody a lot more then goodmornings. I like goodmornings tho... Stiffies are more appropiate tho arnt they. Especially when I went a strong deadlift. maybe i can rotate goodmornings with my 4th exercise on a pull day. (grip strength stuff) Or maybe day one should be another form of deadlift. the high reps (lower weight) should be kinder on my back as i build it up and then i could scrap the wrist curls and do a goodmorning at the end still doing grip stuff on my heavy pull day...

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Brilliant split! Looks good bro. You seem to be excentuating the two types of hypertrophy.

On rep ranges of 8-12, I'd put your rest periods at 30-90 seconds to disallow the muscle from recovering and resulting in sacroplasmic hypertrophy.
On rep ranges 4-6, I'd put your rest periods at 2-3 minutes to allow the muscle to recover, and resulting in myofibrillar hypertrophy.

So, in contrary, I think the Day 1 looks fine. This seems like an intense split, nonetheless. If I were you I wouldn't go to failure too often. Could cause CNS drain (overtrain).

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i agree with rocky on the dud first session, also im not sure what you mean by light session, for some its light because the rep range is a lower percentage of your 1RM so its less intense, but you might just be stopping short of failure or working no where near it etc.............................define light and your progression strategy!

also the best way of creating push pull, is by choosing all your push movements then perfroming the reverse motion for your pull exercises........bench/row, chin/ military,......which you have kinda done, execept the rows are on a light day, im worried about you developing an off balance physique etc!

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Brilliant split! Looks good bro. You seem to be excentuating the two types of hypertrophy.

On rep ranges of 8-12, I'd put your rest periods at 30-90 seconds to disallow the muscle from recovering and resulting in sacroplasmic hypertrophy.
On rep ranges 4-6, I'd put your rest periods at 2-3 minutes to allow the muscle to recover, and resulting in myofibrillar hypertrophy.

So, in contrary, I think the Day 1 looks fine. This seems like an intense split, nonetheless. If I were you I wouldn't go to failure too often. Could cause CNS drain (overtrain).

Nice Wikipedia information :2:

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But on a side note Pickle, I think the split looks good. The only changes I would make would be to the light push day. You said that your legs are still decent, so I would keep the squats to one heavy day and instead of squats on the light day, try weighted barbell/dumbell lunges. If you train in your back yard, that could be a good location to do them as you can try and walk more laps progressively around the entire yard every week or increase the weights a tad if you feel it necessary. They will add a stretch too so that you stretch the muscle for more growth next squat day. Also, if you work that frequently, try DoggCrapp Extreme stretches at the end of every workout. They will allow for more muscle growth and stimulation while you sleep/work and they will recover faster. If you would like me to help you with the stretching procedures, PM me and I'd be more than happy to help.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can you explain to me your routine in detail then?

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
knight rider. I wont train to failure.
Light days just mean less weight in relation to % of my 1rm. I wont slack off on the light days they will just be different kinds of hard compared to heavy day. Im working all major muscle groups so opposing exercises isnt a concern.

thanks for your posts km I usually rest about those times for heavy and light days so its all good.

Beefcake cheers for the suggestion I think Ill leave it as squat tho. My squat strength will burst through the roof if i do it twice per week with different rep schemes. I will look to lunges next split.

I think ill drop goodmornings and do high rep stiffies on day 1 as suggested by a few of you guys thanks team ;)

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ ok cool i thought it wouldnt be light in the effort sense, in that case i see no problems with it! might be best to label it, low rep days and moderate rep days etc!

good luck buddy, ive been nagging you for nearly a year to get back into it, you use to be my gym hero pickledorf when i was a mega noob fresher at uni........those traps and tougher than shit man grimmaces you pull when lifting.......they are hideous and powerful lol!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^^^ ok cool i thought it wouldnt be light in the effort sense, in that case i see no problems with it! might be best to label it, low rep days and moderate rep days etc!

good luck buddy, ive been nagging you for nearly a year to get back into it, you use to be my gym hero pickledorf when i was a mega noob fresher at uni........those traps and tougher than shit man grimmaces you pull when lifting.......they are hideous and powerful lol!

dont forget stronger then you in every lift(cept bicep curls) and legs better then the chemists. :food-snacking:

p.s didnt realise you appreciated my grimace face so much. Heres an old one for your desktop.

IMG_2753.jpg

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can you explain to me your routine in detail then?

Surely. 'll keep it short as possible.

I'm doing an upper body, lower body split utilizing both forms of musculature hypertrophy. I split my exercises up in an oddly fashion to focus on both types, playing a role in horizontal and vertical movements, as well as involving agonist antagonist.

There's 4 primary large muscle groups in the upper body; chest, traps, delts, lats. I split these up in the movements in which work each large muscle group the most efficiently.

So, here's how it works:

Chest and traps are my horizontal days. This involves my chest presses, rows, etc. The trapezius fibers run down you're entire back, and is a larger muscle group then people tend to think.

Delts and lats are my vertical days. This involves my pull downs or pull ups, my overhead presses, etc.

For legs: I split it into lumnar (core) and limbs (hams, calves, quads). This is the less complex portion.

If you're understanding, smart guy, you'll realize why they are vertical and horizontal movements.

Now, there are the two types of muscle growth; sacroplasmic and myofbirillar.

Sacroplasmic hypertrophy requires 3-5 sets, 5-7 reps and 2-3 minute rest periods.
Myofibril hypertrophy requires 2-4 sets, 8-12 reps and 30-90 second rest periods.

The split is 4 days: UB, LB --OFF- UB,LB. In each day, I execute one type of hypertrophy. The next day that group is covered, it's the opposite.

Here's the exact split:

Day 1: Horizontal myofibril, vertical sarcoplasmic
Day 2: Core myofibril, limbs sarcoplasmic
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Horizontal sarcoplasmic, vertical myofibril
Day 5: Core sarcoplasmic, limbs myofibril

:xyxthumbs:

There ya go buddy. Don't jump to conclusions.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^ so in lamans terms u do an upper body lower body split with heavy and light days ;)

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ lol

overanalysers motto: 'Making nuclear science out of chinese checkers!'

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ so in lamans terms u do an upper body lower body split with heavy and light days ;)

Hhaha. I could've said that but I was told to go into complete detail.
So I did as told.

So pickle, this is the exact reason I can relate to you and think your split looks great.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ahh I see. I was actually just busting your balls. I understand the basics of hypertrophy training and the concept of push/pull methodology. I'm not retarded. :tiphat:

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ahh I see. I was actually just busting your balls. I understand the basics of hypertrophy training and the concept of push/pull methodology. I'm not retarded. :tiphat:

Alright bro, it's straight. All is good! :xyxthumbs: Never said you were retarded.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Now, there are the two types of muscle growth; sacroplasmic and myofbirillar.

Sacroplasmic hypertrophy requires 3-5 sets, 5-7 reps and 2-3 minute rest periods.
Myofibril hypertrophy requires 2-4 sets, 8-12 reps and 30-90 second rest periods.

im curious as to the source of this info? do you have any links for me to go and read up?.......i like your program by the way!

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nah bro, I don't. I've learned from a trainer, and by doing multiple reads. Perhaps just look up the two types of muscle hypertrophy and see if you can get a more in-depth explanation.

If you can't, feel free to PM me.