• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Name the Most Retarded Nutrition Myth

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All trainings myths are discussed now we need a list a the most retarded nutrition myths.

I'll kick of with

- All Fats are bad :jerkoff1:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Eating more often speeds up your metabolism

Eat either protein/carbs or protein/fats meals only.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Never have protein and carbs in the same meal

Eating fish thins the skin

MetalMX

MetalMX

The Glycemic Index

Many bodybuilders follow the gylcemic index (GI) religously, and they shouldn't! Why so? Well, the GI is based on eating carbohydrates on an empty stomach without the addition of protein, lipids, fiber, water, etc. Therefore, it obviously has it's shortcomings and is not the be all end all choice for chosing our carbohydrate sources. Truth is, it's quite irrelevant when it comes to bodybuilding purposes. Let's take white potatoes for example. This food species is often avoided mainly because of it's high GI rank. Foolish. White potatoes are a very nutritious food and should be incorporated in a sound nutrition program. See, we're already spotting shortcomings challenging the elements and principles of the GI. But wait, there's more. The GI of that white potato can be drastically altered by combining it with the addition of protein, lipds, fiber, and other carbohydrates. In conclusion, the GI should not be followed religiously by bodybuilders and nutrient-density should be the main principle in one's nutrition plan, not the GI.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
-the more protein, the better
-if you drink milk, you'll lose weight
-subway is great for weightloss
-peanut butter is effective on a diet
-combining maltodextrin with dextrose is more effective post-workout
-adding fruit to meals is a good way for bodybuilders to lose weight on a diet
-green tea is the most effective tea available
-all fats are bad
-if you want to lose water retention, always keep sodium low
-if you want to look good for a party a couple days from now, start eating clean
-everything that is lower in calories tastes terrible

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:keke:.....the palumbo diet:49:....

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:keke:.....the palumbo diet:49:....

KIDDING, just kidding i hear it works if executed properly.

i bet braaq just punched his computer :bowroflarms:

but in all seriousness i cant stand the "all fats are bad for you" thing. pisses me off!

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very good one's posted.. I am going to have to think of something else.. all of mine have been taken.

MetalMX has become quite the copy/paster lately :keke:
(It's ok bro im just pokin at ya, the ability to find a resource and know what your reading enough to make it relevant is a good thing :xyxthumbs:)

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
KIDDING, just kidding i hear it works if executed properly.

i bet braaq just punched his computer :bowroflarms:

but in all seriousness i cant stand the "all fats are bad for you" thing. pisses me off!

I do not think it's the best diet ever.. :dunnodude: I just think it is another good alternative to the usual carb cycling diet for bodybuilders.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do not think it's the best diet ever.. :dunnodude: I just think it is another good alternative to the usual carb cycling diet for bodybuilders.

i didn't say you thought it was the best diet ever. just thought it'd be funny :linedrunk:

something that isn't really a myth but more so ignorance is when guys ask me what to eat/do to get bigger and then they tell me there eating 1, maybe 2 meals a day, then slamming five beers at night :duh:.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i didn't say you thought it was the best diet ever. just thought it'd be funny :linedrunk:

something that isn't really a myth but more so ignorance is when guys ask me what to eat/do to get bigger and then they tell me there eating 1, maybe 2 meals a day, then slamming five beers at night :duh:.

That doesnt work?? :uhoh2:

oh well :linedrunk:

:49:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No carbs after 6 in the evening

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No carbs after 6 in the evening

depends when u workout if you do workout after 6 then you can have carbs after 6 but if you´ve done your workout then i don´t see a reason to have carbs after 6. cuz later in the day your metabolism tends to slow down and it can´t use the carbs for energy so they just turn into fat

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
depends when u workout if you do workout after 6 then you can have carbs after 6 but if you´ve done your workout then i don´t see a reason to have carbs after 6. cuz later in the day your metabolism tends to slow down and it can´t use the carbs for energy so they just turn into fat

Are you being serious?

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well i´ve told it by a friend so yeah. makes sense

but you can educate me with you knowledge

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well i´ve told it by a friend so yeah. makes sense

but you can educate me with you knowledge

Carbs do not turn into fat, that process is called de-novo lipogenesis, and it only occurs in humans 1) when you eat like 1,000 grams of carbs in a sitting or 2) when you're drinking a lot of alcohol and you eat (sorry to report).

The slower metabolism is so minor, and its pretty well mostly due to less activity, basal metabolic rate should be the same. But about the carbs thing, calories is by far and away the important factor in determining if you will put on fat. If you eat carbs, but you eat less calories than you consume, you wont put on fat.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Carbs do not turn into fat, that process is called de-novo lipogenesis, and it only occurs in humans 1) when you eat like 1,000 grams of carbs in a sitting or 2) when you're drinking a lot of alcohol and you eat (sorry to report).

QUOTE]

True, and also the types of carbs comes into consideration here, as high GI carbs will have to be processed straight away, or be stored into fat. There's no where for it go beside some small glycogen storage. How do you explain the larger rates of obesity in lower socio economic groups that just eat white bread, coke etc? I guarentee a lot of them are not eating 1000 carbs in a sitting let alone across the course of the day but it would still be the majority of their diet and the main contributor to their lard. :e5dunno:

fat is just storage from excess energy...

back on topic.

biggest myth.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. An apple a night keeps the doctor in sight.

LOLOLOL
What a load of (sorry rocky) Bullocks

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

QUOTE]

True, and also the types of carbs comes into consideration here, as high GI carbs will have to be processed straight away, or be stored into fat. There's no where for it go beside some small glycogen storage. How do you explain the larger rates of obesity in lower socio economic groups that just eat white bread, coke etc? I guarentee a lot of them are not eating 1000 carbs in a sitting let alone across the course of the day but it would still be the majority of their diet and the main contributor to their lard. :e5dunno:

fat is just storage from excess energy...

(sorry rocky) Bullocks

that dumb fuck American corn subsidy is the reason for modern obesity in nearly all socio-economic groups, the excess corn syrup (uber high GI) gets put into anything in a packet just about! if they removed they're silly policy we would have a more varied and healthy grain market and cheaper grain........but no we gotta extend the life of the oil industry!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
"If you don't like it then you can get out!" lol. bloody yanks.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Sure, i'll give it a shot. I mentioned this in my last post, please show how carbs can actually turn into fat, de-novo lipogenesis, in humans (this is a key). I was somewhat misteken about my 1,000 grams of carbs comment, it can happen drinking 500 grams of maltodextrin, however will still only form 4-5 grams of fat. (1)

The GI is over rated and flawed, I've posted on this several times but nobody seems to be able to get past it. Foods like potatoes are high GI but are an excellent choice on a diet because of their high satiety. As for nowhere to carbs to go besides glycogen... how about oxidized for energy?

The reason they are fat is because of calories, drinking coke and eating some high carb foods are high in calories (for example, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich). This isn't taking into account major factors, such as lack of exercise, which is THE most important factor in this case.

To prevent this from getting to nit picking, I'm not advocating pigging out on carbs all day, merely stating that "carbs turn into fat, especially after 6pm" is a load of nonsense.

1) Carbohydrate metabolism and de novo lipogenesis in human obesity.
Acheson KJ, Schutz Y, Bessard T, Flatt JP, Jéquier E
Am J Clin Nutr. 1987 Jan ; 45(1): 78-85

Respiratory exchange was measured during 14 consecutive hours in six lean and six obese individuals after ingestion of 500 g of dextrin maltose to investigate and compare their capacity for net de novo lipogenesis. After ingestion of the carbohydrate load, metabolic rates rose similarly in both groups but fell earlier and more rapidly in the obese. RQs also rose rapidly and remained in the range of 0.95 to 1.00 for approximately 8 h in both groups. During this time, RQ exceeded 1.00 for only short periods of time with the result that 4 +/- 1 g and 5 +/- 3 g (NS) of fat were synthesized via de novo lipogenesis in excess of concomitant fat oxidation in the lean and obese subjects, respectively. Results demonstrate that net de novo lipid synthesis from an unusually large carbohydrate load is not greater in obese than in lean individuals.