• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

want to bring up bench press!!!

ryanbrown0087

ryanbrown0087

hey guys, looking to improve my bench press... get up more weight i mean.
any tips??

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to improve your bench press, you will need to do the lift frequently to improve on it. You will also need to know your weakness. Your shoulders and triceps can play a role in this as well.On the other hand you should avoid overtraining, there is no need for 4-5 exercises 2 times a week to failure to get your bench up. Make sure you cycle the volume and intensety.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the best tip i can give, from years of faling attempts to improve is to be really attentative to your form, learn the best form to hit your pecs (if its for bodybuilding) and then keep it consistent, its really easy to cheat and get extra weight and reps, but unless your improving over time with spot on form, its all for nothing!

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
to get strong in the bench u gotta train alot of bench, many sets, and 2-6 reps to really build strenght, also dont forget about accessory movements like the military press, triceps extensions, close grip presses and also getting a stronger back will help ur bench...

but as KR said form is very important, dont use a weight u dont have full control of through the whole range of motion, lower the bar controlled to about ur nipples, tuck your shoulders back and push ur chest out, if u gotta lower the weights for alittle to get the form right thats not important, cuz eventually ur gonna get stronger and in the right way.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many essentials to a strong bench press.

Benching requires the lumbar (core), deltoid, tricep and lower back (full back) involvement. If you're looking to improve your bench, you're going to need to improve all 4 of these components.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you've been lifting for a while and say your a person who can bench at least 300 you may want to try out bands. Check out the bands at www.elitefts.com

P

Pumpin

for me what i did for my flat bench to get up is i did one rep of 12 then 10 then 8 eight being the heaviest weight and then i went from w/e weight i felt comfortable with and did 1 rep then put it up 20 pounds untell i couldnt do another rep i eventually got my one rep max up to 305 before i 17 lol

X

Xeonen

When i started training this year i could bench 30kg, this is about 2 months ago...now i can bench 50kg with up to 12 reps without a spotter...

my weight is 58kg btw lol...

The only way i got higher in weight was lets say if you can bench 30kg and you like struggle with that...then add about 5kg and get someone to spot the whole thing and i mean every single rep,, then add another 5kg and do the same thing so now you benching 40kg but your spotter is helping you alot...

so next session go to gym and try hitting 35kg alone without the spotter, then you might be able to do about 4 reps alone, then get the spotter add another 5kg do it, then add another 5kg and do it with his help the whole way, no you are benching 45kg , repeat the process and in like 2 months you can add 20 kg to your bench trust me, it worked for me, also dont forget to do incline presses, this will be about 5kg less than what you can do on the flat bench...hope you understand what im trying to say, try and and it works but people might stare at you in the gym cause it will look funny when you attemptimg to bench 10kg more than you can and the spotter is doing half the work,

i guess this is like MIND OVER MATTER!

regards

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I find that consistent progression works best, small increments each time. I'd also suggest hitting it twice a week.

Eg.
Week 1
Monday - bench
85 x 5
90 x 5
95 x 5
100 x 5
105 x 5

Thursday or Friday - bench
95 x 5 x 5

Week 2
Monday - bench
90 x 5
95 x 5
100 x 5
105 x 5
110 x 5

Thursday or Friday - bench
100 x 5 x 5

etc, etc.

I have found this works well with all major compound movements.