• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bar positioning during squat

Wolfdogs

Wolfdogs

I've come back from leg day and I noticed I had a lump on the lower neck area, usually where I place the bar while perfoming squats. It was bumpy and swollen up. I usually have a scar, kinda like dead skin on that area from holding the weight. I was wondering if maybe I wasn't positioning the bar correctly on my back. Should it rest on the spine area or traps ?

Thx for the input :tiphat:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
always on the traps... never on the neck. Its just where on the traps that tends to vary from person to person.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Front Squats FTW!

Back squats are a pain in the ass for me because I can't get my arms over on the bar far enough.

Wolfdogs

Wolfdogs

always on the traps... never on the neck. Its just where on the traps that tends to vary from person to person.

Do you flex the traps in ordre to make a "bridge" to lay the bar on ?

Wolfdogs

Wolfdogs

Front Squats FTW!

Back squats are a pain in the ass for me because I can't get my arms over on the bar far enough.

I've performed front squats for awhile. I was dissapointed by the weight I was able to use, and I didn't feel my quads work. I only felt it in the shoulders. I'll give it another try once im done with my current routine and go back to front squats.

Turkish1530

Turkish1530

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
defiantly put the bar on ur traps when squatting :tiphat:...otherwise ur placing it right on bone, not very pleasent:ughnoes:

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Or do front squats with the bar higher up on the clavicle and don't worry about weight, and just about feeling the stretch.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
F

FitMike

Yep put that bar lower on your traps. Just flex them and the bar should find its place.

B

big_duuude

Defo on the traps.
How wide do you grip the bar ??
I see lots of guys almost collar to collar for me that feels uncontrolled I like to stay tight and narrow.
I grip just inside the rings which cut the knurling on each side in half. Then I pull my shoulders back which provides a solid base for the bar to sit on the traps.