• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Split ideas...

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Hey people, I'm trying to sort a new weekly routine which will consist of a 5-part split. So far I've been thinking of Back/Bis, Chest/Tris, Legs/Calves, Shoulders/Traps but that has left me with a spare day which I don't want to waste. I'll probably end up changing it to Upper/Lower Back, Chest/Forearms, Legs/Calves, Shoulders/Traps, Arms.

I just wanted some other ideas/opinions to think about. How do you prefer to do your splits?

I've just come off a full-body routine and I much prefer splits, so that's not an option. I also only want to do each body-once per week to allow max recovery because my right shoulder has been playing up for a while and so has my right pec insertion. Stupid right side of my body! :angrydude:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Yeah I've read over shitloads of splits and the reasons behind them. I've tried many of them overtime as well. I just want a few personal experience stories to see if I can get a few new ideas. Honestly, I'll probably end up just sticking to my own split cos I'm a stubborn cunt who thinks he knows everything. Cheers for the response though dude.

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah man, just try things out, I personally like full body routines because I'm able to hit reach muscle about 3 times per week, with a split, I'll only get it once a week which I don't want. Plus, fullbody releases a ton of testosterone which helps in bodybuilding a lot. But yeah man, if you don't like full body, I'd go for the next best thing which is switch off between upper and lower days. Maybe have a heavy upper day, then a heavy lower, then a light upper, then a light lower, I don't know, just mix things up and try them out.

-Fatality.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
why dont you spend the 5th day working on weakpoints??

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Although I'm not a huge proponent of handing out splits, I have one that I've just began doing that is a 5 day, one-muscle a day, split. However, I added some spunk to it. I use undulating rep ranges. This is how I split it up:

As you know, you have your pushing musculature, pulling and lower body. I then split these up by rep ranges that change every 2 weeks. So...

Week 1-2:
Pull: 7-9 reps
Push: 4-6 reps
Lower: 10-13 reps

Week 3-4:
Pull: 10-13 reps
Push: 7-9 reps
Lower: 4-6 reps

Week 5-6:
Pull: 4-6 reps
Push: 10-13 reps
Lower: 7-9 reps

This stimulates both types of muscle hypertrophy and girth. focusing on the rep ranges for each. At week 6 you should schedule some sort of strategic deconditioning to relieve some load on the CNS, if not done, overtraining could potentially result.

Now. The proposed split.

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Back
Day 3: Off
Fay 4: Shoulders
Day 5: Arms
Day 6: Legs

This leaves sufficient times between synergists and secondary recruiter muscle fibers. A largely underplayed role, and this should be what you're asking for.

Hope you like it, if not there's others to chose from bro. Good luck.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

am finkin of a new split too
am a try

day 1 - chest, shoulders
day 2 - back, traps
break
day 3 - arms, forearms, calves
day 4 - quads n hams
break
start again

i wana giv it a goo

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
mine right now looks like this

day1)chest and bicep and calves
day2)deadlifts, shoulders and traps
day3)rest
day4)back(rows and chins), tricep abs
day5)quads, hamstring, calves

abs whenever i feel like it...

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I hear what you're sayig about being a stubborn cunt! :)

Why not just start the routine again on the 5th day? That way you hit the muscle again that little bit sooner but I would have thought still have plenty of time for recovery if you are intent on doing a split.
If you don't already make sure you do those rotator cuff exercises before doing shoulder or incline work.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Finally started doing rotator cuff work today. Wish I'd started 3 years ago when my shoulder started playing up. You gotta love being an idiot.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Finally started doing rotator cuff work today. Wish I'd started 3 years ago when my shoulder started playing up. You gotta love being an idiot.

Better late than never:xyxthumbs:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Might try and do calves and back more than once, these are spots I want to work on. Sooo...

Back/Calves
Chest/forearms
Legs/Calves
Shoulders/Traps/Upper back
Arms/Calves

Also I work split shifts and next week is my first 21:30-06:00 shift. I can sleep most of the night at work so technically I will have much more exercise time once a fortnight.

Might try a 2 sessions/day routine on those weeks... or I could just sleep.