• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lets discuss nutrient timing...

<3Frosty

Please note, this is for a normal diet and on a workout day.

Okay, i think i have a pretty good handle on things right now for a workout day meal plan.

Meal 1: A sugar is fine in low quantities first thing in the morning to fight off catabolism of muscle caused by waking up. So, i go for about 8-12 grams of sugar here in a meal. Usually a yogurt.I usually wait about 10-15 minutes after this food item to eat my next one.
The next thing i focus on is fiber and low-glycemic carbs with a large amount of protein. Studies have shown that breakfast high in protein is more likely to keep you full longer then breakfasts that are higher in carbs.

Meal 2: (Usually my pre-workout meal): I focus on low glycemic carbs here, oatmeal, sweet potato, etc. I also get a slow-digesting protein, ie, not whey, here usually. Sometimes i mix. Like, oatmeal with milk and whey. For both, i aim for about 25+ grams of carbs at least, and about 15-20 grams of protein at least.

Meal 2.5 (Workout food): i usually sip on some gatorade mix here.

*Meal 3: (Post-workout): Focus on causing an insulin spike, so simple sugars, but mainly focus on replenishing muscle glycogen, so waxy maize (yea?), dextrose, and malto-dextrin are things to aim for. Fruits are typically high in sucrose or fructose, so not optimal. You also want to feed muscles BCAAs and protein fast. I usually have a mixture dextrose with whey protein. I also like having a source of anti-oxidants here. Sometimes i eat a banana for that purpose, though my bananas are usually pretty ripe (i like them when nothing is green on the skin, and brown spots are common on the skin of the bananas i eat). Are there any sources of anti-oxidants here that would cause an insulin response (or not hinder one really) AND perhaps focus on muscle glycogen?

*Meal 4 (about 45-60 minutes after meal 3): I focus on a low amount of low-glycemic carbs here, sometimes it is about a half serving of brown rice or whole wheat pasta. I usually shoot for about 10-20 grams of carbs here. This serves to keep my body from crashing on energy because of the insulin response, and my body can really absorb the nutrients here easily. I also tend to get a small amount of protein here, trying not to fill my body too much. Usually i shoot for about 15-20 grams of protein at least in this meal. I have also started having some fats here as well. Peanut butter or some olive oil or some walnuts here. I figure that this doesnt need to be a super-fast digesting meal, right? Maybe im causing a hindrance to my body's natural ability to uptake nutrients fast by doing so.

*Meal 5 (Usually not that long after meal 4, maybe 2 hours max usually): Focus on fats and protein. Stay away from anything with lots of sugar or high in carbs. I tend to focus on mixed veggies with some slow digesting proteins or lean cuts of meats with a fat. Olive oil, nuts, or peanut butter.

*Meal 6: Same as above really.

*Meal 7 (Pre-Bed): Focus on slow digesting foods. So, fats and casein protein sources here. I usually shoot for about 20 grams of protein total, with cottage cheese as my main source of protein. I sometimes have a serving of peanut butter or some walnuts here.

I know to stay anabolic, i want each meal to have AT LEAST 10 grams of protein. I also know that fats should be focused later in the day, and kept away from insulin responses and large amounts of carbs.

Lets discuss this. Break down how you think meals should go and pick apart mine.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never focussed on glycemic index. Maybe I shoudl

German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
your daily nutrients seem low what is your weight and what are your goals

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Your carbs seem very low. Meals 2 and 4 in particular should be very high in carbs.

<3Frosty

I didnt focus on carbs post-workout in meal 4. BUT, the combination of Gatorade during the workout (2 servings) and a good 35+ gram carb meal BEFORE the workout seems to be enough to keep me fueled.

And, remember, the things i put up are bare minimums. Thus, the phrase, "at least".

My goals right now are to get cut and im only 147 pounds. Im pretty short, so 147 on my frame is pretty good size.

I have nixed the fats in meal four, and now im focusing on a big meal there of protein and carbs.