• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

US army develops robotic suits

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
On the big screen, films like Robocop, Universal Soldier and forthcoming release Iron Man show man-machines with superhuman powers. But in Utah they are turning science fiction into reality.

We are at a research facility on the outskirts of Salt Lake City, ringed by beautiful snow-capped mountains. Once they held the Winter Olympics here; now they are testing endurance in other ways.

The aluminium limbs gleam in the brilliant sunshine, as the strange metal skeleton hangs from a safety harness at the outdoor testing site. It seems to be treading water; actually its programme is telling it to keep the hydraulic fluid in its joints moving.

Rex Jameson, a software engineer here at laboratories run by Sarcos, the robotics firm which designed the XOS exoskeleton, steps up and into the suit.

Stephen Jacobsen, Sarcos

The lightweight aluminium exoskeleton, called XOS, senses Rex's every move and instantly moves with him; it is almost like a shadow or a second skin. It is designed for agility that can match a human's, but with strength and endurance that far outweigh our abilities.

With the exoskeleton on and fully powered up, Rex can easily pull down weight of more than 90 kilos, more than he weighs.

For the army the XOS could mean quicker supply lines, or fewer injuries when soldiers need to lift heavy weights or move objects around repeatedly. Initial models would be used as workhorses, on the logistics side.

Later models, the army hopes, could go into combat, carrying heavier weapons, or even wounded colleagues.

The XOS in action

There are still problems to solve, not least how to create a mobile power supply that can last an effective length of time.

But the US military expects to take delivery of these early prototypes next year, and hopefully deploy some refined versions within eight years.

It is a long way off before we see robot soldiers that can fly or fire missiles - like in the movies - but the designers are already imagining future versions more reminiscent of Hollywood.

check it out, the guy even boxes in it.......

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just what the US Army needs, more equipment to kill people :weaksuace:

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Notice in the BBC vid the suite is used to load rockets too....

Last edited by a moderator:
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just what the US Army needs, more equipment to kill people :weaksuace:

i know. what a monumental waste of government dollars. fucking government with its fucked up priorities.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Although it seems like a rather large waste of money, it's not really for research and development for new technologies. Also, if you watched the clips or read the article you will see that they are not being made for combat but rather for soldiers to do lifting, loading/unloading faster with less risk of injury, not to kill people.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Although it seems like a rather large waste of money, it's not really for research and development for new technologies. Also, if you watched the clips or read the article you will see that they are not being made for combat but rather for soldiers to do lifting, loading/unloading faster with less risk of injury, not to kill people.

that is how it starts...

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im with braaq, war is one of the better fields to create new technologies

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im with braaq, war is one of the better fields to create new technologies

Exactly some of the technologies we use in our everyday lives have derived from war technologies: the microwave being one of them.

Although the downside is that people die, it also has helped the human species expand our technologies and civilizations throughout history. This is no different :e5dunno: