• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

sets and reps

P

Pumpin

how many sets and reps are to many

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
3-4 sets per exercise and 8-12 reps per set is a good starting point

P

Pumpin

lol well im not a started im just wondering what every one prefers

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The number of sets and reps you use depends entirely on what your goals are. For example, a football player would use an entirely different set and rep pattern than a bodybuilder would. Even bodybuilders use different set and rep ranges depending on what phase of their training they are in (pre-contest vs. strength/bulk phase).

Here are some guidelines to help you select the best set & rep range for you:

Rep ranges:
Strength/power: 1-5 reps (optimal strength range)
Strength and size: 6-8 reps
Size with some strength: 8-12 reps (optimal body-building range)
Local endurance with little strength or size: 13-20+

For bodybuilding purposes, it is beneficial to use ALL rep ranges, with emphasis on 8-12 reps. If you want to get really strong, plan on spending a substantial amount of time in the 3-5 rep range. If you want to get really big, spend a lot of time in the 6 - 10 rep range.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like to go heavy on the compounds (1-5rm) and use some more reps on the accessory exercises (8-12)

P

Pumpin

yea i usually prefer 3-4 sets and 8-10 reps per work out

samutown

samutown

5x5 for strength

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
difficult question....

i don't think performing more than 6 workings sets per body part per week is an efficient way to train. i also think you need to hit body parts more frequently, even if its a little bit of stimulus at a time.

rep ranges should be based on the exercise, the thing you must consider with rep ranges is that you want to be using a range that you can progress comfortably but still is the correct stimulus for hypertrophy!

i really don't believe in using low rep ranges because it is quite hard to progress from getting 5 reps of bench pressing to 6 the next week. the percentage jump is quite demanding......working from 8 reps one week and trying to get 9 or 10 reps the following week is a much more achievable strength percentage jump........this is why the 8-12 rep range is so staple in bodybuilding......it also encourages correct form, often low reps cause you to to use leverage instead of focusing on overloading the muscle when lifting the weight! you also do not want to use high rep ranges over 20 reps because short bursts of intense lifting cause hypertrophy, endurance type lengths of lifting actually cause muscle to be limited and it wastes precious recovery abilities.

you really need to post a complete routine explaining your basic approach to training and progression so we can understand you goals etc! some people stick to a low rep range but slowly increase the load which will lead to good growth......other like me work through a moderate rep range, of say 8-12......when i get to 12, i increase the weight so im getting 8 again and work up!

the key is to make sure your weight over a moderate rep range is increasing over time on all the basic lifts, provided you have good nutrition you should grow! so if your squatting 100 kgs for 10 reps today.......in 2m onths it should be 120 kgs for 10......another months later 130 kgs for 10.........balance your nutrition, sets, reps and recovery so that your achieving this result!

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like to go between 3-20 reps.It really depends on exercise and what im focusing for.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

there's not a strict amount of sets and reps which are to many
it's all about what you believe as far as training philosophy
some people believe in low volume some believe in high
as far as physically what is to many that all depends on how your body reacts and how your recovery is
for some people a routine with 10 sets a body part will overtrain them and for others they can cope with it fine
so you will just have to play around with it to see how much is to much for you

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
2 sets for each ex unless warm up Reps till failure

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I like to go 1-5 for the initial heavy compound lifts (lots of sets), then follow up with a few exercises at 6-8 (3-5 sets) then finish up with 8-12 (usually only 3 sets but finishing with a drops set). I like to train size/strength but I'm often torn on which to focus on.