• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Improving legs

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hi Guys,

I'm not satisfied with my legs so I toughed that maybe someone can suggest some good routine/ split that mainly helps to improve overall leg size.

I'm currently following split like this:

1.Chest. biceps
2.Legs
3.Off
4.Back, traps
5.Shoulders, triceps.
6.Off
7.Off

Should I add another (light)leg day maybe?

Thanks.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You could try an upper/lowerbody protocol. Make sure you incorporate some heavy compounds on every day like squat, deadlifts, goodmornings, bench press, military press, chins etc.

1.Upper
2.Lower
3.Off
4.Upper
5.Lower
6.Off
7.Off

shredded08

shredded08

whats ur leg workout look like?

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
whats ur leg workout look like?

Barbell squats 5 sets 5 reps
Leg press 4 sets 6 reps
Leg extension 4 sets 8-12 reps
Leg curls 3 sets 8 reps
Calf raises on hack machine 3-4 sets.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
add another leg day on day 6 take an off day then repeat. for your second leg day squat light and then hammer the leg press and hammies dorian yates style warm u then warm up again then 2 heavy working sets to failure and youll be good to go bro.

God Bless
Ben

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All the suggestions below are great, but there is only one way to get good legs and it's not a special split.
SQUAT, do correct form and go to at least parallel or below. Always try to move up and do a rep range of 6-15. Your legs will have not choice but to grow, it's pretty simple and you can always play with your foot placement as well. :tiphat:

Doing 5 sets of 5 reps on squats is great for myofibrillar hypertrophy which will help you gain strength. But to induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (muscle volume) you need to vary your rep range and do some heavy sets of 12-15 as well (heavy meaning you should struggle for the last few, not light). Sticking to a limited rep range like 5x5 is great for strength gains, and you will gain some size but you are not optimizing both forms of hypertrophy and so it should be only temporary.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All the suggestions below are great, but there is only one way to get good legs and it's not a special split.
SQUAT, do correct form and go to at least parallel or below. Always try to move up and do a rep range of 6-15. Your legs will have not choice but to grow, it's pretty simple and you can always play with your foot placement as well. :tiphat:

Thats all there is to it. Heavy squats (and leg press), and as Braaq said, going LOW is the key.

As a note, I have found that legs seem to grow best at a higher rep range, ie, 20 reps. But, that doesn't mean 20 sissy reps, it means do a normal set of like 12 reps, pause for a few seconds, crank out another few reps, repeat until getting to 20.

The day you can squat 315 for 20 reps, you'll have big legs.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats all there is to it. Heavy squats (and leg press), and as Braaq said, going LOW is the key.

As a note, I have found that legs seem to grow best at a higher rep range, ie, 20 reps. But, that doesn't mean 20 sissy reps, it means do a normal set of like 12 reps, pause for a few seconds, crank out another few reps, repeat until getting to 20.

The day you can squat 315 for 20 reps, you'll have big legs.

True, true leg presses help but I found I didn't grow with just leg presses and had to do squats to induce hypertrophy in comparisson.

I say if you can 405 for 15 or more you will have big legs, 315 is light :coolguy:

:keke:

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ya, the main concern with your program now is rep range. You will get stronger but if your going for size up the reps. I get lazy and rather do heavy small amount of reps then a little lighter reps for 15 or so. When I stick to the higher reps, you can defiantly tell a difference. Make sure your nutrition is in place too. With all the hard work, you need to be able to repair all the muscle your tearing down. That was my main problem when I first started to work out in high school.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

for me I have gotten the best results with my legs by using a routine like this

front squats:
4 sets of 6-8 reps
hack squats:
4 sets of 6-8 reps
leg press:
4 sets of 6-8 reps
leg curls:
4 sets of 12-15 reps
back squats:
5 sets of 6-8 reps

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agree with what the guys above say. Heavy ass squats build legs. For me, incorporating a lighter/high rep day has done wonders for my legs. May be worth a try for you as well.

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thank you all for the advice. I shall give it a try.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

hey i dont mean too b rude lol but i gott da same kinda problem
am havin trouble pikin excercise for hamstrings i want too hit dem more
i do
squats 4 sets
leg press 4 sets
lunges 2 sets
leg curls 4 sets
calf raise 3 sets

should i be doin more ??

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
All I have to say is.

DEEP AND SLOW squats ftw
Then finish it off with some legpressing in the same matter

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hey i dont mean too b rude lol but i gott da same kinda problem
am havin trouble pikin excercise for hamstrings i want too hit dem more
i do
squats 4 sets
leg press 4 sets
lunges 2 sets
leg curls 4 sets
calf raise 3 sets

should i be doin more ??

Try incorporating some stiff leg deadlifts. They seem to be the best way to hammer my hamstrings.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
If you wanna put some leg size on and there your weakness then you need to prioritize them! put them first on monday so you can deploy your attack on them.

I always get the best results from this routine;
1.Leg extensions
2.Barbell squats
3.Leg presses
4.Stiff legged dealifts

Like creator said, my hams get fried off stiff-legged dealifts and i think they are the key for slammin hams!

Id keep my sets low, do a couple of warm-up sets on each exercise and then one major set going to failure between 8-10 reps!

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Be careful of starting with extensions first, you run the risk of fatiguing your muscles around the knee and that could lead to weaker squats or leg presses or even worse an injury to your knee. I would put them last in your quad routine seeing as they are not a mass builder and pre-exhausting IMO is a waste of time if your wanting to pack on size with some heavy squats or presses.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I agree with what Braaq is saying
I always get better results when I do leg curls near the end of my workouts

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I agree with what Braaq is saying
I always get better results when I do leg curls near the end of my workouts

Hes talikng about leg extensions though, not leg curls.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

its the same principle though because both leg curls and leg extensions isolate a certain area of your leg and pre-exhaust although one targets quads and the other hamstrings it's the same basic principle as to when you should do them in your workout