• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Some Layne Norton updates

• Thread starter Daniel Andersson
  • Start date
Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Injury update: Yesterday I went in for another check up and this time I actually got to speak with the surgeon. He felt around on the tear area and was very pleased with the progress. He said he believed I was healing ahead of schedule. He thinks I may be back lifting heavy in around 6 months which is great news. I also got to talk to him more about the actual tear itself. He told me that the lower head of my pec completely tore away from my tendon. I had always assumed it was merely a partial tear, but in fact I had completely separated the tendon from the muscle! Additionally, when it tore, the tendon snapped back and landed up against my deltoid and had actually scarred onto my delt. He had to seperate the tendon from the delt and then suture it to the entire length of the muscle. Crazy. The doctor told me that he honestly was worried that the sutures would not hold, but now he is very encouraged because it seems to be healing well. In his words "we're holding that thing together with shoe laces and bubble gum man." He wants me to keep the brace on my arm for another 3 weeks to ensure that I do not tear my sutures away. After 3 more weeks I'll begin physical therapy and start to get some of my function back. As you can imagine, I am thrilled to death with how well everything has gone.

-Layne

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
04-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Well tonight was one of my 3 leg days/week i'm doing and all I've been doing for quads is leg press, extensions, and bodyweight lunges... and I was so sick of it. I had to squat... I didn't care if it meant only using one arm on the smith machine... so be it. It felt so good to squat. I could have easily gone heavier but I didn't want to be stupid with it. It just felt good to squat again. Had isabel stand there to make sure the bar stayed across my back.

1armedsmithsquatsoh8-1.jpg

1armedsmithsquats2no7.jpg

1armedsmithsquats3hm5-1.jpg

oh man did I miss squats :D

-Layne

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
04-26-2008, 01:11 AM

Well my safety squat bar came in. Did my first squat workout with it. 5 sets of 8 with 295 (the bar weighs 65 lbs). Felt great. Wanted to workup slow since the pad does sit on the spot where I tore it, but so far no problems, felt great.

p1060286gd9-1.jpg

p1060287dy9-1.jpg

p1060288qk6-1.jpg

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
04-28-2008, 11:27 PM

Ok got back from the doc today

He says I am healing great. We are still touch and go though according to him, I'm still being held together by "superglue" LOL. He said at 8 weeks post surgery I'll "start to have tissue that's worth a damn." LOL. So we won't be doing any loading for 2 more weeks. BUT he did take my brace off... OH MY GOD IT FEELS SO GOOD TO MOVE! I cannot stress how much we all take our daily functions forgranted. We really do. Not being able to reach with your right hand, or play sports, or even hold Isabel with my right arm... it sucked. He gave me some stretches to do and said I'm already pretty flexible compared to where he thought I might be so that's good.

I also talked to him about my leg workouts. He said he wants to wait 2 more weeks for the safety squat bar; said he's concerned about it pressing on the tissue, so that's out for 2 more weeks; but that's ok. He said one armed smith machine is totally fine so I'll be hammering lots of those. I just feel so blessed that I'm pulling through this and it looks like I just might get out with nothing but a scar. Once again; I know these things are not life and death, but I love bodybuilding and am so excited at the prospect of being able to continue to do it. I didn't take pics today but I am going to take some tommorow. My right arm is down just over an inch, and my right pec is now visably atrophied... still not as bad as I thought it would be. But I have gained some size on my legs... I'll take it!

-Layne

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM

Ok, here are the pics. 6.5 weeks post-op. These are really hard for me to post. I guess when it goes away slowly you don't see it, even looking in the mirror I didn't see it; but damn, there sure as hell is noticeable atrophy. Especially having my right arm in that brace for 6.5 weeks just killed my right delt. This camera/room/background just does a brutal number on the flash and washing out but whatever. I'm sure some people will take these pics and post them up on various sites making fun of me like they already have and that's good. Go ahead and get your shots in while you can. This isn't going to keep me down. Nothing will. Heck 7 weeks ago I was being told by the surgeon that they would likely not be able to help me, that there was "50/50 chance that we will open you up and not be able to do anything but stitch you back up." I'm just grateful that the surgery worked, and what's better, you can't even see the scar from my surgery hardly in the pics. The size will come back, I can handle the ridicule. People been talking shit on me for years and it's never stopped me, only made me better. This injury will be the best thing that ever happened to my bodybuilding career. Write it down. On the plus side, I'm quite sure I can notice the added leg size, and absolutely my calves look bigger on the back pose, so I'm really happy about that.

Ok, here goes:

relaxed
relaxedab7-1.jpg

back relaxed
backrelaxedyl0-1.jpg

side chest left side

most muscular

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Healing that quickly is amazing
and Laynes getting huge !

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good to hear hes recovering this quick. He has the right attitude so he will get better than he was before. I wanna wish him the best of luck and a fast recovery.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yikes....His right sid is starting look as atrophied as Ronnie's left. Huge fan of Layne though and gotta admire his optimism. Most guys would have thrown in the towel completely after an injury like that. Best of luck to him and I wish him the best for his recovery.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
he has some big balls to be still lifting weights straight after a big injury like that. I wish him the best recovery so he can hit that upper body again

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Norton will be back up and running soon.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff