• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Whey Protein & Acne

N

Natural99

Hi everyone im newbie. i started taking whey protein (ON gold standard) a few months. i've also started breaking out more and more. first i didnt think anything of it since occasionally i do have light breakouts even before i started taking WHEY. but i recently read some articles linking whey to acne? anyone else ever have this problem?

thanks,
Ken

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Yes I have the same problem, You can get more acne if you eat proteinpowder.

Oloz

Oloz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont have that big of problems with it from the whey, never even heard that this could happen to be honest

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
if u have acne a great product to try is called clearogen. just google it. protein it self should not give u acne, it would seem that whey might make hormone levels higher and increase protein synthesis, so that could cause it perhaps. i get problems when i add creatine to my supplement stack.

Anyways clearogen is a fantastic topic solution it kicks the crap of the weak alternative proactive.

God Bless
Ben

Workingatit46

Workingatit46

Hmnn I have never heard of this problem:xyxthumbs:

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BigBen's right. Clearogen is good to use for acne, especially will dealing with a lot of it. Whey protein in itself doesn't cause the acne, it's the increase in testosterone like BigBen said that may cause the sudden outbreaks. A simple dab of Clearogen should do the trick! :hsughr:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk intake may affect acne severity through the Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) pathway. In two large cross-sectional studies, milk consumption was positively associated with higher plasma IGF-1 levels[20,21] and in both studies, this was predominantly an association with skim milk. In a randomized clinical trial of the effect of milk intake on bone remodeling, intakes of skim and low fat milk were associated with increased serum IGF-1 levels in both sexes.[22] It is not clear whether the increased IGF-1 is endogenous—released in response to milk intake—or exogenous IGF-1 from milk. Human and bovine IGF-1 share the same amino acid sequences [23] and several milk proteins, including IGF-binding proteins (IGFBPs) protect IGF-1 from digestion in the gut.[24,25] Animal studies have shown that milk borne IGF-1 can be absorbed after oral intake.[24] IGF-1 directly stimulates basal keratinocytes' proliferation.[26,27] Although both serum androgens and IGF-1 levels rise at puberty, the period of maximum prevalence of acne and the course of the condition follow the levels of IGF-1 more closely than levels of androgens.[28] There is also a stronger correlation in women between acne lesions and IGF-1 compared to androgens.[29]

Milk intake may influence comedogenesis because it contains several bioactive molecules that can act on the pilosebaceous unit including androgens, 5α-reduced steroids and other steroid hormones.[30,31] Many of these bioactive molecules survive processing and in the case of cheese, fermentation results in the production of more testosterone from precursors in milk.[31] The level of androgens in milk has generally been considered low and first-pass metabolism in the liver may further reduce its bioavailability compared to the daily endogenous production in young children and adolescents. However, recent studies have questioned the methodology and assays on which estimates of daily production rates of endogenous steroid hormones in pre-pubertal children are based.[32] Dietary intake may be a more significant source of androgens than previously thought.[33] Milk also contains estrogens, some of which are produced in the lactating bovine mammary gland and are direct suppressors of sebaceous gland function.[28]

Some hormones in milk are carried by whey proteins, including α-lactalbumin, which also have intrinsic biological functions.[34] Animals fed α-lactalbumin-enriched whey protein show increased will and capacity to engage in physical activities, gains in lean body mass, improved efficiency of exercise training, and decreased percentage body fat mass; all of which are similar to the effect of androgens.[35,36,37] In addition, α-lactalbumin undergoes pressure-induced conformational alteration, possibly because of centrifugation stresses during processing; this leads to changes in biological function.[38] Whey proteins are also added to low fat and skim milk to simulate the consistency of whole milk. These proteins might therefore play a role in acne.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/537367_4
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Final...e Article.pdf

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sorry for the color, I tried to go back and edit it to just making it bold and it freezes up and wont load my edit :e5dunno:

Anabolicus

Anabolicus

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I had a realy bad acne so i went to the doctors and she wrote me some roaccutane.
It worked very well on me. She also told me that it's the best.

J

jeromethechicken

Braaq, you are the man. That was very insiteful. I never had acne as a teenager, lucky mofo I thought. However, I've had problems with it since I started lifting. I always assumed it was hormonal change.

How much is clearogen?

J

jeromethechicken

Accutane dried my skin out severely and also gave me horrible mood swings. I'm usually an even keeled dude but the accutane had me crying into blankets while watching movies like the notebook. Very Gay.

N

Natural99

i have also started taking accutane, it's working well so far. i stopped breaking out...

did you guys continue taking whey protein supplements?

WillTheThrill

WillTheThrill

The docs told me that i couldnt lift heavy while using accutane so i never used it. Has any1 else heard this?

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
did he give you a reason?

WillTheThrill

WillTheThrill

yea but its ben so long ago that i cant really remember.

WillTheThrill

WillTheThrill

now i remember! it can weaken ur bones n joints