• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Need some help

B

bcity101

I am cutting down trying to get my bodyfat percent to under 10 percent, i am currently at about 15. I weighted 180 in janurary but now i am 147. I dont really like the skinny look, but i wanna be cut, is there anything i can do to gain lean muscle mass and lose bodyfat. i currently run in the mornings on an empty stomach and eat around 5 meals a day doing carb cycling and getting in 1564 calories a day if possible. I need some help cause my mind is confused i wanna be cut but at the same time i dont wanna lose to much weight.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would say make up your mind. Do u want to lose fat or maintain weight? Onc eu decide then take action towards your goal.

The low calories and running on an empty stomach will drop your weight and your bodyfat. If you preserve muscle with the diet you will probably look cut and look like u have a descent amount of muscle aswell.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am cutting down trying to get my bodyfat percent to under 10 percent, i am currently at about 15. I weighted 180 in janurary but now i am 147. I dont really like the skinny look, but i wanna be cut, is there anything i can do to gain lean muscle mass and lose bodyfat. i currently run in the mornings on an empty stomach and eat around 5 meals a day doing carb cycling and getting in 1564 calories a day if possible. I need some help cause my mind is confused i wanna be cut but at the same time i dont wanna lose to much weight.

If you do that, you wont have any muscle left. :49:

It's really hard to gain muscle and lose fat for any natural. Here's my suggestion.... eat your breakfast before your cardio. Cardio in the morning is the most beneficial. Stick to doing HIIT for about 20 minutes (only on your rest days) then move on to something moderate (incline walking, elliptical, bike) for 30-40 minutes. You don't have to push yourself, something you can easily do for longer than a half hour. On your training days, do moderate cardio for 50-60 minutes. If you lose anymore than 3 lbs per week, start increasing your carbs. I heard carb cycling works well, so you could probably stick to doing that.

If you have any other questions, just ask. :tiphat:

<3Frosty

Ill agree with bits of what both Ben and Paulie have said.

Pick one, and stick with it. Most naturals will not be able to add mass while losing fat unless they are complete newbs to weight training. Additionally, those that are able to do so, wont do so efficiently. You are better served doing a bulk, cut, or maintain stage than trying to do two at the same time. Also, even unnatural bodybuilders gain body fat in the off season in their attempt to garner more size. If Jay Cutler and Ronnie Coleman cant lost fat while gaining a good amount of muscle with all the gear they are on, a natural is sure to fail at this endeavor as well.

Additionally, running on an empty stomach (especially in the morning) is a very quick way to lose muscle mass. Most people have fasted for 7-8 hours, and THEN you are going to do something that increases your catabolism? Yikes for muscles. In fact, cortisol is released as soon as we wake up, as our bodies are typically starved for food/protein/nutrients and it will revert to tearing down muscle to get nutrients.

This is why running in the morning in a fasted state is particularly dangerous for muscle mass. Also, from what i read recently, working out in the morning can actually be bad for our back, as we have just slept for 7-8 hours and from my understanding our spines are elongated. Running is a high impact exercise, and even weight lifting can have effects on our spine as well in this case, and may lead to back problems.

I have always heard carb cycling works well, and HIIT is my recommendation for cardio on off days only. You only really need to do one strenuous exercise type a day from what i have read, so stick with HIIT on off days, and maintain your normal weight lifting program.

Also, make sure you progress in cardio. Alot of people (myself included) just stick with the same routine. They run a mile, then they are done. Or, they do HIIT for 10 minutes, and are done. They dont change the intensity or the length or anything. You dont do this with weights do you? Why stagnate on cardio if we expect to continue to lose fat from this exercise? So, make sure you are always increasing your work output in some way, whether that means lowering rest intervals, raising work loads, raising the over all time, or anything else. Just make sure you make progress.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dude, it sounds like you need to worry about putting on muscle first.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agree with what the others have said. It is extremely difficult to lose fat and simply hold on to the muscle you have. I would recommend continuing on a clean bulk.

high_five

high_five

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agree with what the others have said. It is extremely difficult to lose fat and simply hold on to the muscle you have. I would recommend continuing on a clean bulk.

Clean bulk ftw! :xyxthumbs: Thats what I would recommend.