• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tris, tris, tris

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm trying to fine tune my tri routine, reducing the volume a bit and increasing intensity. I can currently go fairly heavy but I always end up doing 16-20+ sets because I always feel I have a bit more in me. My main goal is size. I've got to get a hold of some chain to do weighted dips with as they have been great bulk-builders in the past. I want to do a good all round routine hitting all points evenly. My initial ideas: weighted dips with cable extensions or skullcrushers/cg presses.

Any routine suggestions? I'm hoping for some fairly in depth replies rather than just "do this generic exercise". Cheers blokes! :linedrunk:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Try doing just 2 exercises and have 2 different variations across two seperate workouts. I would suggest something along the lines of:

Weighted dips
Skullcrushers

C/G Bench
Tri Pushdowns

Alternate between those 2 routines as part of the routine your tri work slots into doing 2-3 main sets. Just my thoughts.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
C/G bench
Dips

you shouldnt need such volume when training tris man, keep it heavy and short.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I know I shouldn't need the volume but its so easy to keep on going when you haven't maxed them out yet.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
go heavier
add extra reps to the sets
use negative reps
superset

theres a lot of things you can do man, you just need to push your tris harder

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I do all these actually... its just that I can always bet a few more out. If you read through my log you'll see I already go pretty heavy and often finish with dropsets. My tris just seem to recover quickly. When I used to train with a partner I used to be able to max out with extra sets past failure but I train by myself now. I think adding rest/pause reps past failure might be a good technique.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
why not add 5-10 kgs then.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I go as heavy as I can without sacrificing form and finish myself with drops/super sets. What I'm trying to do is fine tune my routine to just 2 exercises that work best for me but this will take a fair bit of trial and error. I'm looking for some more advanced ideas or techniques to help increase my intensity. Rock's idea of alternating routines might be a good idea to keep it my training well balanced.

This is what I'm thinking:
Workout 1
Weighted dips - 2 warmups sets 15-20 reps, 2 sets 6-10 reps, 1 extra heavy set 1-6 reps then rest for 30 seconds and do a couple more, etc, etc.
Supersetted skullcrushers/cg presses - 2 sets, first exercise 8-12 reps to failure followed by second exercise to failure.

Workout 2
CG bench - same as workout 1.
Cable extensions/pushdowns - same as workout 2.

...although I am considering losing the first 2 working sets and going all out on a single hardcore set Dorian style.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't think you need to go to failure nor do so many sets. Just because you feel you have a little more left in the tank does not mean you haven't worked them sufficiently. DOMS is not a pre-requisite for growth - on the contrary it could be destructive. It could just be that your tris are just a particular muscle that is strong on you with good recovery - doesn't mean you should beat them to death as it could mean you're making less gains than you would be training them the same way as any other muscle group.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I don't think you need to go to failure nor do so many sets. Just because you feel you have a little more left in the tank does not mean you haven't worked them sufficiently. DOMS is not a pre-requisite for growth - on the contrary it could be destructive. It could just be that your tris are just a particular muscle that is strong on you with good recovery - doesn't mean you should beat them to death as it could mean you're making less gains than you would be training them the same way as any other muscle group.

You know, deep down I know all this, I just love training to failure. It just seems more satisfying. I really need to beat myself out of my stubborn ways. :angrydude:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^I know it's an easy trap to fall into. I have to reign myself in so as not to go overboard but it's to your detriment if you don't hold back. If you think about it doing all those sets is almost like endurance training which does not build mass.

Less is more.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I think I'll try and drop the set numbers but still aim for increased intensity with the reps past failure using the rest pause method. Just try it out for a while.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sorry, why did you move from Aus. to London ? lol, saw it in your avitar and was curious

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
sorry, why did you move from Aus. to London ? lol, saw it in your avitar and was curious

My Dad was a pom so I've got dual citizenship. I went backpacking for 3 months through Japan, Europe and Africa and then settled here to live and work for a while. London is just a mad city to live in and its so easy to jump the channel and check out other countries.

Its an Aussie thing, we all have the travel itch. :xyxthumbs:

H

HeAvLy_MuScLeD

larry scott: loaded guns

there are 2 mass builders i lernt after reading larry scots loaded gunz...heavy close grip presses using ezi bar i prefer to do this declined find it hits the tris sweeetly. and rather than explain the other one search for "twin pedestal tri extension" he clams that you only need these 2 for size as they target the back of the tri wich makes tris look fuller, but i like to add in 2 to 3 more exersises. the honestly add inches ive added and taped into uninchanted groath bro

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
If you want to hit your triceps harder, dont add more sets/volume. add more intensity. forced reps, negatives, rest/pause etc. other wise you'll just overtrain the triceps, which are pretty easy to do since you work them with shoulders and chest.

I would recomend 3 exercises, which would be in this order;

1. Tricep pressdown.
2. Parallel dips
3. Lying E-Z bar extensions

These exercises should hit all the three heads in the triceps muscle. Do 2-3 warm-up sets on the first exercise and then one major set, taking it to failure and then beyond with either forced reps, negatives or res/pause. maybe even a mixture, but not all three ore more because this may lead to overtraining. for the other exercises just do one warm up set and then a major set, again taken to failure and beyond.

:tiphat:

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm trying to fine tune my tri routine, reducing the volume a bit and increasing intensity. I can currently go fairly heavy but I always end up doing 16-20+ sets because I always feel I have a bit more in me. My main goal is size. I've got to get a hold of some chain to do weighted dips with as they have been great bulk-builders in the past. I want to do a good all round routine hitting all points evenly. My initial ideas: weighted dips with cable extensions or skullcrushers/cg presses.

Any routine suggestions? I'm hoping for some fairly in depth replies rather than just "do this generic exercise". Cheers blokes! :linedrunk:

Board Presses
JM Presses
Panora Press
Tate Press
Pressdown (with bands assuming you have access to them)

For JM Presses you lay on a flat bench and bring the weight out like you were going to do a flat press. But, you lower the bar over your clavicle (collar bone) until you're about 3-4 inches above it. Once you reach that point you simply tilt your wrists back so the bar is now about over your mouth and then you press up. It's a very tough movement and I wouldn't recommend pyrmading up in it that's for sure. Also, keep your elbows tucked and don't let them flair.

Panora Press is just a tricep pressdown but only working in the bottom portion of the movement. Just make sure you don't get your body weight into the movement but it's great for overloading the triceps. Just go onto youtube to check out Tate Presses.

Since you want "in depth" stuff here goes. Firstly, only do one of the movements per day twice per week. Doing 2 of them in one day is just too much for the triceps; plus, your triceps will be too fatigued to perform a second movement. For board presses you can go as heavy was you want; even singles. But, for everything else stay in the 6-12 rep range. Do less sets with high reps and more sets with low reps and don't pyramid up.

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love triceps. I always start with CG press, usually something like 5x5.

Here's some stuff you can do that's worked for me:

-CG presses - 5x5
-1 arm cable extensions. super slow and controlled, no full extension, lighter weight than usual - 3x15
-1 Arm Ovehead extensions DB - 3x10

*the cable extensions really wear you out more than you would think

-CG Presses - 2x8, 2x12
-Weighted Dips - 3x10 (you don't need a belt, put a DB in between your legs)
-skull crushers - 3x12

------

I'd the first one and then the next routine on 4-5 days rest. My arms respond best when I superset bis and tris.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pyramiding is not efficient. All you need is to warm up enough and then hit your working sets. Muscle hypertrophy is your muscle's response to a stimulus, well the working up to your max set is not sufficient enough stimulus so why do it?
Do your warmup set to get your elbow and tris ready and then pick three exercises and hit one or two all out sets per exercise at a sufficient enough weight and reps with 100% intensity. That is all you need, anything more is over training and with your bi's or tri's that is too easy to do. After reading how many sets you are doing it is easy to see why your having problems. The most I do is 6 sets for tris, and I don't even have to train them every week. I get enough from indirect stimulation for pressing movements throughout the week. Speaking of which, when do you train them?