• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

stage color advice

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the show is this saturday (4 days away) and i must say i look very good. full, much leaner, and imo bigger (at least the visual illusion as such). i have been doing my morning cardio everyday which is a 45min walk around my neighborhood with no shirt on and just my boxers (i live in a secluded neighborhood, no complaints against me so far :gaygay:) to help myself tan as well. i already have a brown complextion to begin with and i am a very dark brown right now. my legs are brown as well but not to the extent of my upper body. so i have a question for those who have competed, how much pro tan or jan tana or whatever did you use to get your desired look? i can only get ahold of 1 bottle of jan tana before the show and i have some spray on brown stuff i got from walgreens that looks pretty good too. but how much did you guys use?

to give you guys a visual idea of my current color, picture my avatar but about 2 shades darker.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i have only got 1 thing clear after reading this

you run half naked in your neightbourhood

coool :uhoh2:

thicknasty

thicknasty

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I cant say much about the Jan tana because I've never used it and I know they have different types comp colors. I've always used the pro-tan. 1 20oz should be enough if you already have a good base. It's best to pore the bottle out into a bowl and dip the brush in it rather than using the pump spray attatched to it. depending on how thick you apply it, 1 20oz bottle will usually make for 3 different coats. Let each coat dry about 30min or so before applying the next. I'd be carfull using other types of bottled tanning products not specified for bodybuilding becuase many of them just sit on top of your skin like make up, and can comprimaise your seperation. Even a lot of the rub on bodybuilding tanners are the same way, such as dream tan. Pro-tan acually seeps into the skin and dyes it making it look alot more natural. I always did my 3 coats of pro-tan the night before the comp and on saturday morning I do an additional tough up coat (I've always touched up with a very very thin coat of dream tan, but it must be used very sparingly and applied by someone who knows what they're doing. I've seen many good looking physiques get ruined from some Average Johnny back stage slaping it on by the gobbs). Everybody has their own way of doing things, it's kind of a trial and error process in regards to figuring out what works best for you. Just be mindfull that what looks dark in the mirror standing in your kitchen may look pasty white on stage under thousands of watts. You really can't be too dark, so long as it doesn't comprimise your definition. I also use the tanning bed everyday for 20min starting 8 weeks out.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
IS i can get ahold of a couple bottles of jan tana this afternoon. that price online is pretty expensive not to mention i'd have to pay a lot for the 2 day or overnight shipping, i'm not looking/willing to drop $60+ on just tanning color. i'm pretty dark as it is right now naturally and it's nothing i was hoping a couple bottles of jan tana and some other coloring agents on top of more tanning coudln't fix. i would like to buy what you linked, but man i'm not pleased with my bank account right now (damn apartment lease) and i need to be very judicious with my spending here.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I cant say much about the Jan tana because I've never used it and I know they have different types comp colors. I've always used the pro-tan. 1 20oz should be enough if you already have a good base. It's best to pore the bottle out into a bowl and dip the brush in it rather than using the pump spray attatched to it. depending on how thick you apply it, 1 20oz bottle will usually make for 3 different coats. Let each coat dry about 30min or so before applying the next. I'd be carful of other types of bottled tanning products not specified for bodybuilding becuase many of them just sit on top of your skin like make up, and can comprimaise your seperation. Even a lot of the rub on bodybuilding tanners are the same way, such as dream tan. Pro-tan acually seeps into the skin and dyes it making it look alot more natural. I always did my 3 coats of pro-tan the night before the comp and on saturday morning I do an additional tough up coat (I've always touched up with a very very thin coat of dream tan, but it must be used very sparingly and applied by someone who knows what they're doing. I've seen many good looking physiques get ruined from some Average Johnny back stage slaping it on by the gobbs). Everybody has their own way of doing things, it's kind of a trial and error process in regards to figuring out what works best for you. Just be mindfull that what looks dark in the mirror standing in your kitchen may look pasty white on stage under thousands of watts. You really can't be too dark, so long as it doesn't comprimise your definition.

wow dude thanks a ton. this is exactly the kind of application advice i was looking for. i do have a good base on top of my naturally brownish skin. thanks for the heads up on the other tanning products not specified for bbing that makes a lot of sense and i will not be using them. so it looks like those two bottles of jan tana will be enough then for me then. i will follow your steps for application. thanks again.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good advice by ThickNasty, but the only thing I would add is this.

Don't use the brush. Get someone (likely Braaq, I would assume) to pick up a bunch of latex gloves, and spray the stuff on you and rub it in like that.

If you can get the Jan Tana, get it. But is it "competition tan", or "show tan"? One is a base, the other is a pre stage finisher. If you can get the Jan Tana locally "show tan", then get it. But you should also order some order some of the "Final Touch" I mentioned above as well.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here's a picture of Turk, he was much pasty whiter than you, and his color looked awesome.

n47507695_31656369_4202.jpg

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good advice by ThickNasty, but the only thing I would add is this.

Don't use the brush. Get someone (likely Braaq, I would assume) to pick up a bunch of latex gloves, and spray the stuff on you and rub it in like that.

If you can get the Jan Tana, get it. But is it "competition tan", or "show tan"? One is a base, the other is a pre stage finisher. If you can get the Jan Tana locally "show tan", then get it. But you should also order some order some of the "Final Touch" I mentioned above as well.

thanks a lot man for the help. so you are suggesting to use the sprayer and then rub it in with gloved hands then? and i must confess i don't know which kind of jan tana this guy is selling me, but i have seen his color before shows when he competes and the guys is white, and he always comes in with perfect very (very) dark color. he has been giving me advice as well on coloring so i would assume he's selling me the proper stuff. out of curiousity how many coats did turk use to get that great color? more than 3 bottles?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
3 coats of protan, 1-wed night, thurs night, fri night. 1 coat dream tan #2 fri night after the pro tan and then one more coat before the show. I would mix hot stuff in with the dream tan as well. Sorry if any of this was repeated above.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks a lot man for the help. so you are suggesting to use the sprayer and then rub it in with gloved hands then? and i must confess i don't know which kind of jan tana this guy is selling me, but i have seen his color before shows when he competes and the guys is white, and he always comes in with perfect very (very) dark color. he has been giving me advice as well on coloring so i would assume he's selling me the proper stuff. out of curiousity how many coats did turk use to get that great color? more than 3 bottles?

3 bottles? what the eff?

just listen to the dude and do what he says.

But yeah, I would advise against the brush. Just stand there in your trunks, have someone spray it on, and have them rub it in with their gloves on, yes. It's much easier.

Gumby51cm

Gumby51cm

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i used 6 coats or pro tan comp color and then 1 coat of dream tan. it works well, because im really white. you say that your already dark, so like 3 coats instead. i applied a coat in the morning, let it dry all day, shower, apply another, let it dry all night, wake up and shower, then do it all over again. always shower off the excess that doesnt soak into your skin.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
3 bottles? what the eff?

just listen to the dude and do what he says.

But yeah, I would advise against the brush. Just stand there in your trunks, have someone spray it on, and have them rub it in with their gloves on, yes. It's much easier.

i asked because i am completely unfamiliar with how many coats one bottle will yield or how much someone of turks complextion needs. how many coats would one bottle contain?

btw thanks creator and gumby. how many coats do you think one bottle of jan tana has in it?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think you need to look over your prep for this show and get some feedback and help on all aspects. If you've left colour late what else have you forgotten?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ wow, really? that's a sensible line of thougt to you? shit if i haven't got my color yet what else haven't i done? i've received plenty of input from others, color is my last step. i have been tanning and i am pretty dark, however i am not familiar with using tanning products and that's why i asked for input. way to contribute nothing except an idiotic thought process.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used Dream Tan and something else (forgot the name of it :jerkoff1:) as a base color.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
for some reason the NPC has banned dream tan for all those who don't know. it's like the first thing in bold on one of my forms so they really don't want it, i think it says you'll be DQ'd if you do use it :dunnodude: