• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Help with Smolov Jr

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some advice from those fellas here who have done Smolov Jr before.

1st question: am I mental for wanting to try and run Smolov for both deads and bench at the same time. One of the websites I found about it said you could.

2nd question: I know you're meant to run it mon/wed/fri/sat but I never go to the gym on weekends so once again, will I be mental to run it mon/tue/thu/fri?

This is what I'm thinking:
Mon
Deadlifts
Bench Press

Tue
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Squats
Pullups

Wed
Deadlifts
Bench Press

Fri
Deadlifts
Bench Press
Squats
Pullups
BB Curls
Tri Extensions

I'm going to do just a maintenance weight for squats. I don't expect I'll have much energy after the deads. Or maybe I might dump them altogether for those during the program.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1) Not mental but it will wear you out and teach you to train hard. I have done it in the past but won't try it in the future.
2) The idea is to have 48hrs rest in between workouts. So you can makedo, but make sure that you keep an eye on your energy levels (take your resting heart rate upon waking each morning, if it significantly increases back off).

I've done a couple of Smolov routines and found they didn't fit in around any sort of work schedule. If you are a student or can accomodate the workload then go ahead. PM Tunen, he is the king of Smolov!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Tunen Pm'd.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've tried to do a Smolov Jr. with bench, deads and squat all at the same time. Smolov kicked my ass and I was burned out in week 2.

I do think that it can be done with bench and deads or bench and squats at the same time. Doing squats and deads at the same time would def. wear me out.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would de-schedule all other work. After finishing deads and bench I would search my soul for more energy. If you have any left - do a little more. I wouldn't do regular squats though, but stick to front-squats at low intensity and higher reps.

Also I'd stagger the DL and BP relative to eachother so that you start your DL cycle 2 days before your BP cycle. Doing 10x3 in two exercises on the same day is just demotivating.

Good luck with it mate.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Cheers fellas.

I'll dump the regular squats in favour of low intensity front squats and leave the other exercises on a "body-willing" basis.

I'm taking this week off the weights to makes sure my joints and muscles are fresh. Pray to science for me.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cheers fellas.

I'll dump the regular squats in favour of low intensity front squats and leave the other exercises on a "body-willing" basis.

I'm taking this week off the weights to makes sure my joints and muscles are fresh. Pray to science for me.

I shall pray my fellow reasoner.

Make sure to take creatine. The bloat really helps me get past the joint aches when doing such a concentrated loading cycle.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I've got about another weeks worth of creatine left and I'm ordering more today!