• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Maintaining muscle at Bootcamp

P

Painispleasure

Im joining the Navy and should be heading out to Bootcamp within the next 4 months. Its 8 weeks long and as you probably figuired I wont be able to take my protein.

I was wondering what are some things I can do to maintain the most amount of muscle Ive worked so hard for?

I am in the process of cutting right now and was thinking before I head out I should bulk up again to a good 17-18%, Then my body would have excess energy to use instead of using my muscle. Does that sound right to everyone? Any thoughts?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you will lose muscle, but i'm sure you will look awesome considering you will lose a plethora or bodyfat in comparison. i know the navy really emphasizes bodyweight movements ie pushups, pullups.

dude why would you just put on bf before you go out? do you have any idea what bootcamp is? being fat will not help you and make it that much worse, and 18% bf is fat bro. just keep lifting and understand that you will lose a little muscle during the process of bootcamp, but it will all come back once you get back in the gym and start up your meals/protein supplementation again.

Lanois

Lanois

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
don't think too much about it, cause it will happen. Just get back in the game when your done.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
You might be able to stop the muscleloss a little bit by using BCAA

P

Pain

VIP
You might be able to stop the muscleloss a little bit by using BCAA

He won't be able to take that with him. Being in the navy isn't a bodybuiding contest, just do your training and worry about your muscles afterwards.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You might even put on some weight. My brother went off to bootcamp for army already pretty well built and he ended up adding a few cm to his chest from all the pushups. Just look forward to the killer abs you'll have at least.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
He won't be able to take that with him. Being in the navy isn't a bodybuiding contest, just do your training and worry about your muscles afterwards.

Ah oki

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
i wouldnt put on fat before you go.. because your body is likely to use the muscle instead of the fat ANYWAY. Just like Duality said, having the extra weight will only hurt you in the long run.

P

Pain

VIP
2q2qqn9-1.jpg

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Painispleasure

Why do you say being heavier will hurt me? You guys think I should just go in lean as possible or what I can come in at 8 or 9% thats most likely the leanest Ill be by that time.

I have 4 months untill I go Im currently cutting and think I will do that for 2 months then bulk up for 2 before I go.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You'll be doing a lot of cardio, that extra bodyfat will not assist you.

P

Pain

VIP
What sort of training are you doing right now? Tweak is in the navy, I'm sure he can tell you what you'll be getting into and how to prepare.

When I was getting ready for the army, I was doing up to 3 hours of cardio/weights a day. No one is going to care how big your biceps are when you can't run a mile without being out of breath.

P

Painispleasure

Right now Im at 15% working on getting down to 10%. Im just lifting heavy watching my diet and doing cardio 3x a week for about 20 minutes, once I get closer to leaving Ill start doing more cardio. Im not to worried about it I can hold my own when it comes to running.

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
honestly i wouldnt worry too much about navy bootcamp its a joke seriously, marine corps recruit training is 13 weeks, and its tough shit, i had a buddy who was in the navy he says all they do is teach you how to fold clothes and shit, he said while he was in the ship he would workout with marines.

WaveRider

WaveRider

i wouldnt put on fat before you go.. because your body is likely to use the muscle instead of the fat ANYWAY. Just like Duality said, having the extra weight will only hurt you in the long run.

Plus u will get ur ass kicked in boot camp If u get fat. Just be sensible enjoy being well fed with solid food and take days off from weight trainning when you are stuffed from bootcamp trainning

overtraining is what will cause you issues such as injury and loss of muscle mass so becareful and listen to your body

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Plus u will get ur ass kicked in boot camp If u get fat. Just be sensible enjoy being well fed with solid food and take days off from weight trainning when you are stuffed from bootcamp trainning

overtraining is what will cause you issues such as injury and loss of muscle mass so becareful and listen to your body

oh yea you become a diet tray, you dont wanna be a diet tray you wanna be a double rats!!!:xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why do you say being heavier will hurt me? You guys think I should just go in lean as possible or what I can come in at 8 or 9% thats most likely the leanest Ill be by that time.

I have 4 months untill I go Im currently cutting and think I will do that for 2 months then bulk up for 2 before I go.

Bacause you will take the extra weight along with you. The army is very endurance based so excess bodyfat wont help you with that. Imo you should not worry about your weight. Just try te get prepared the best you can. You can always build some muscle when your ready for it.
I suggest you to take a look at crossfit or the navy seals wod. Ive used them in the past with great results

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Navy boot camp = :49:

As far as preparing and maintaining muscle, just use your time to eat wisely and eat all you can. I was putting down 800-1000 calories a meal and still lost weight in boot camp. Don't worry about muscle, 8 weeks is something like 1/500th of your life if you live until your 78, 8 weeks wont kill you. Get your priorities straight for now, and afterwards at A school you can start lifting again while carrying on with your studies. Look at me for example, I lost muscle, but I have it all back now, its no big deal dude, as I said get your priorities straight.

Whats your rate going to be?

btw, if you have any questions about the Navy or boot camp just PM me I'll be happy to help :xyxthumbs: