• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Robby Robinson Wants Government to Stop Steroids in bodybuilding

Z

Zoknat

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bodybuilding legend Robby Robinson wants federal government intervention into the sport of professional bodybuilding to combat the (mis)use of anabolic steroids in the sport.

19064920ku3-1.jpg

“There’s a lot of drugs in the sport,” he said. “To be 300 pounds and come down to 260 or 250. I think the government ought to do something.” Robinson made his point clear, but also was up front about his own use. “I never took drugs when I came here (to California from Florida) in 1975. The first time I got involved was two weeks before Mr. World. I took the shot – which was primo depot – and remembered going home and sitting down and the whole room started spinning.”

Robinson admitted using small quantities of anabolic steroids (identifying Primobolan Depot by name) during the weeks prior to a bodybuilding competitions. After Robinson started using steroids, he went on to win the IFBB Mr. America, Mr. World, and Mr. Universe championships; he won several IFBB Masters Olympia titles between 1994 and 2001.

During his competing days, Robinson would not use steroids during the offseason, but said that when he was eight weeks out, he would take something every two weeks.

Robinson attributes his low serum B-12 levels to his history of steroid use.

“I still practiced that until I retired,” he said. “Recently, B-12 was low in my body, and I know that was from steroid use.”

Robinson alleges that the IFBB (or powers that be) are deliberately constraining the growth of the sport of bodybuilding. He believes they want to keep bodybuilding a “cult sport” to escape the public steroid witch hunt that has plagued other sports.

Regarding the popularity of the sport, Robinson feels that the powers that be are deliberately holding it back. “They’re trying to keep it down because of the drugs,” he said. “We’re not in a big light. It’s more of a sub-culture, a cult sport. It’s (stopping steroids) going to take away from it. The government will get involved – like (Roger) Clemens and (Barry) Bonds.”

Clearly, bodybuilding is finding it challenging to keep the prevalence of steroids in bodybuilding a secret when the Governor of California has his name intimately associated with one of the largest bodybuilding competitions - the IFBB Arnold (Schwarzenegger) Classic.

Jim Lorimer, the promoter of the Arnold Classic, acknowledged the need to “protect the sport [of bodybuilding” in light of the negative publicity surrounding the use of steroids in other sports. As a result, the IFBB has initiated at least one random steroid test this year to crackdown on steroid use in bodybuilding.

Source: MesoRx
Author: Millard Baker

taken from:/insidebodybuilding.blogspot.com

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The never get the sport clean and if they do than it will kill the sport imo. The only reason why som many people are going to competitions is to see those massive "freaks" if the take out the freak component you will lose many fans.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
They will never get rid of drugs in bodybuilding for good, like achilles said, they may lose fans and if they lose fans then they lose money

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice find. Good to see someone from within the sport confronting the steroid issue head on, rather than making lame statements mysteriously side-stepping to the problem and covering there own asses like most people seem to do.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
robby is full of shit. NOBODY at that time was taking a small amount of drugs they all used the shit out of orals and he telling fairy tells if he says otherwise. With that said robby was one of the freakest backs at his time.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that would completely ruin this sport for me...

patdiddy

patdiddy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Honestly if the IFBB made it their goal to remove steroids from bodybuilding the sport would lose its appeal to some fans who love seeing the freaks of this sport. Bodybuilding will allways be bodybuilding but if the drugs are gone i think it will hurt the sport to a certain extent.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
the federal government should not be involved in any sport....ever.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

x3

if the league wants to test and make drugs illegal to use, thats up to them not the feds.

B

benmoneyog

if they gave a fuck about performance enhancement painkillers such as oxies viks, perks and morphin would be banned without them football and other sports players would be completely hindered in their play its natural to be in pain after playing a sporting event hard so wouldnt it be cheating to get rid of that pain?

skid9832004

skid9832004

agreed, just like in baseball they get congress involved in fucking baseball......BASEBALL!!!!!! Its a fucking sport not a fucking war. that i think is completely insane they make big deals over athletes on juice rather than ooo slightly bigger problems like poverty,oil, etc.... Than they take off for the summer thinking they actually acomplished something:angrydude:

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is gay. taking steroids out would ruin our sport.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We want BIG guys.... without roids you can be 5' 8" weighing 260 solid rock pounds. You simply CAN'T.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

True they are already controlling more than enough.

I cant imagine BBing (Pro) withoud roids. It would kill the sport for sure

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry guys, but I agree with the man.

Steroids take away credibility from the sport. The general public will never like bodybuilding unless all this shit about steroids goes away. And I also agree that the IFBB does not want to make the sport more popular since that would put it in a more "spotlight" situation.

I wonder WHY it would kill the sport for you guys. We wouldn't see people as massive as they are now, but they would still be anomaly huge. More than anything, this would help identify does with truly better genetic potential rather that just the ones taking better or more drugs.

Explain to me, why would it kill the sport for you. I would be happier actually, to see them working on what nature gave them. Imagine one day to see BBing on the Olympics, that will only be possible if drugs are banned.