• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Career Change

HATER

HATER

Hi everyone. I'm currently a Tool & Die maker. I'm so damn sick of this trade and the type of work i do that i'm ready to completely switch careers. I was looking at the programs that my local college offers and i minimized the list to 4 programs that I might be interested in.

1. Concurrent Bachelor of Science/Medical Laboratory science - 4 years
2. Chemical laboratory technology - 3 years
3. Entertainment Technology - 3 years
4. Mechanical Engineering Technology - Automotive Product Design - 3 years

What are everyone's thoughts on what is in demand, what is dying, and what will be needed in the future?......I also wouldn't mind what the mecca members do for a living. Thanx everyone.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
are you planning on living in windsor? because no matter what you go to school for you are more the likely not to get a job here.. this city is dying hard.

HATER

HATER

are you planning on living in windsor? because no matter what you go to school for you are more the likely not to get a job here.. this city is dying hard.

ya i think i might be staying in windsor, not exactly sure though. But some people are saying that its gonna rebound. But either way, if i choose a medical career, that is needed everywhere.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ just follow your heart bro.. dont choose something based on economy or whats in demand right now or you will never truly be happy.. find your passion and follow it..

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i say number 4, IMHO.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ just follow your heart bro.. dont choose something based on economy or whats in demand right now or you will never truly be happy.. find your passion and follow it..

Agreed.

Do what you interested in. Going to college and doing something that you dont like is gonna make your life miserable. Whatever you study in college will most likely be your career path. Do something you want to do and truly have your heart. My program is what iwant to do and whatever people told me to study I didnt do. I chose what I enjoy and what i want to study. Your choices are pretty different im terms of mechanical engineering, bachelor of science and entertainment. Are you kidding me? Mechanical engineering so soley math based and bachelor of science is soley science based obviously. I think you need to sit down by yourself and figure out what you enjoy and what you want to do in life. It looks like to me that you have chosen these based on just looking at a list. Do you even know the career paths for each major? The 4 you have chosen are very different except for chemical and science ones. Like I said before you need to figure out what you like and enjoy and pick a few majors that are all intertwined not completely different. From there look at the career choices and make sure there what you want to do. Im a sophomore in college and know exactly what iwant to do and what graduate schools I plan on getting into.

HATER

HATER

Agreed.

Do what you interested in. Going to college and doing something that you dont like is gonna make your life miserable. Whatever you study in college will most likely be your career path. Do something you want to do and truly have your heart. My program is what iwant to do and whatever people told me to study I didnt do. I chose what I enjoy and what i want to study. Your choices are pretty different im terms of mechanical engineering, bachelor of science and entertainment. Are you kidding me? Mechanical engineering so soley math based and bachelor of science is soley science based obviously. I think you need to sit down by yourself and figure out what you enjoy and what you want to do in life. It looks like to me that you have chosen these based on just looking at a list. Do you even know the career paths for each major? The 4 you have chosen are very different except for chemical and science ones. Like I said before you need to figure out what you like and enjoy and pick a few majors that are all intertwined not completely different. From there look at the career choices and make sure there what you want to do. Im a sophomore in college and know exactly what iwant to do and what graduate schools I plan on getting into.

who said i didnt enjoy science and math? both subjects i like, but dont know which to pick. what are you going to school for anyways??

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
who said i didnt enjoy science and math? both subjects i like, but dont know which to pick. what are you going to school for anyways??

I wasnt trying to be mean or anything I was just confused as to why you have a broad choice of majors. Im in the process of getting my BA in finance then will going on to grad school for my masters.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Avoid the automotive industry, IMO. Lots of layoffs and demand drops in the future. Americans will be buying less cars.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
gay 4 pay :gaygay:

don't listen to DriDDy, he's talking about his job, :keke::techn9ne:
agree with Serb, go for what really makes you happy, but option #4 it's not bad imo :tiphat:

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
don't listen to DriDDy, he's talking about his job, :keke::techn9ne:
agree with Serb, go for what really makes you happy, but option #4 it's not bad imo :tiphat:

:49:

whatever you decided on going for make sure your 100% sure and you will enjoy the job everyday:tiphat:
Gay 4 pay:greddy:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do what makes you happy man, thats a good atmosphere.,

right now im throwing papers in morning
i dont pay social security medicare etc
just income, and im making lil over 1,000$ every 2 weeks

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
:49:

whatever you decided on going for make sure your 100% sure and you will enjoy the job everyday:tiphat:
Gay 4 pay:greddy:

:keke:

also Hypo you could try
something like DriDD said :gay for pay :gaygay:
jk bro :keke:

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mechanical engineering so soley math based and bachelor of science is soley science based obviously.

I am not sure what you think engineering is, but math it is not. I am just entering my fourth year of Mechanical Engineering and have plenty of industry experience through coops and engineering while it relies on a lot of math is about applying science and research to real world problems. Engineering is problem solving. Some times you use math, some times you use experience. I chose to study engineering because i love taking things apart and seeing if i can put them back together better. I love thinking of new designs to improve parts.

An engineering technologist is not an engineer. Technologists do alot more hands on work. Serb is right about automotive dying in Windsor, but it is thriving elsewhere in Ontario and Canada. Honda and Toyota are both building several new facilities near Toronto. People need cars, so there will always be some demand for people who work in it. But my advice as far as engineering related fields is this: If, and only if, you have a strong passion for design, building and learning should undertake an engineering based discipline. Engineering is one of the hardest majors you can study, if you don't love it, you will likely not find the motivation to get through it.

I agree with the others, think of the one thing you would love to do with your life, and do that. Life is too short to do a job you hate man. If you love your job you will do it well and be happy at the same time. Take a little time, find what gets you going.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^At my university around 40 credit hours are math based courses out of 120. Your school might be different but my engineering graduate school was ranked 18th among graduate engineering programs nationally.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Oh man, it's hard for even experianced people to find a job here. My dad, who has had literally 50 or more jobs, is having a hard time finding a better job. And since the car plant is closing, that's gonna be another 3000 auto workers out of a job.

Don't live in Windsor. :tiphat: