• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

starting gym again after layoff

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

hey ppl, i have been out of the gym for almost 4 months due too the passing of a family member. during this time my diet has been awful =(
i feel extremely drained but its time i get back into the gym.

i know i need to fix my diet but with my training i have no clue as too how to go about it because i can tell i have signifant strength loss and lost alot of size. any suggestion of any programs i should follow. i was finkin split upper and lower and should i go as heavy as i can or should i let my body get used to waits first. sets reps exercise let me no aniy suggestions.

thanks

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
its very hard to reccomend something right of the bat like this. everyone is different. for me low frequency(each bodypart once a week) and high volume(12-20sets per bodypart) works well, but i know that alot of others swear to a different approach. u should try experimenting alittle. firstly now, maybe focus on bringing up ur strenght, so maybe try max ot which emphasises low reps and low volume. and then switch things around later. as for ur diet, just make sure u take in enough calories from good sources. its really not too complicated. take in atleast a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, 2-3 g of complex carbs from good sources such as oatmeal, brown rice and whole grain bread. as for fats just make sure u get the EFA's atleast. and if u eat whole eggs and use some olive oil ull get enough of that:)

L

lorri_01

ive just had 5 weeks off and the last week off went to ayia napa with 9 of my friends (its like ibiza) had hardly any sleep drank so much every night n ate shit, went to the gym today and after 7 sets of back almost slipped into a comba it killed me , just hope it dies down

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I had 4 months off while I was backpacking and I was shocked at how much strength I had lost when I got back in the gym. I just went back to the basics, 8-10 reps, and worked my way back up again. A year later I'm stronger than I've ever been but 7kgs lighter than when I left Oz.

Back to the basics, that's what I recommend! Squat, bench, deads, rows, presses. Maybe start off training everything once a week until you get your endurance and recovery time back to where it was.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

thanks for the suggestions, yeah i understand everyone is different so we'll see how we go, but thats what this place is for haha:keke: hhahah i had my first session today, i hit chest and triceps, i was shocked at how much strentght i lost not only in the excercise but also just gripping the weight =(
incline db bench 3sets x 8 45lb
flat bb bench 3sets x 8 40kg too easy
flat flyes 3stes x 12 20lb
body weight dips 3sets x 6 4 2 :ugh: that was the biggest shock for me
overhead single arm db 3sets x 12 15lb
skullcrusher superset/ cg bench press 3sets x 8

am feeeling really sore and surprised after the session but am i going about it the right way??

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I think the only real right way to go about it is to get back into it any way you feel is best. Half the problem after a lay-off is building the motivation back up again.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

ye your right half way thru my session i wanted too quit but stuck in der, also i realised having a training partner makes alot of difference
today without one i wasnt up for training at all

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was a few months out because I was training for a survival run. When I started with weightlifting again I used a FB protocol. Imo do a search on 5x5 or Rippetoes program. Follow it by the book for at least 10 weeks. You will be amazed by the amount of strength and muscle mass you can win with a FB protocol.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I also rate the 5x5 program.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
5x5 is awesome for getting your strength gains back mate, but just ease into it, this week you'll be weak as piss, next week push yourself harder, and before you know it you'll be pushin past where you used to be.

BTW where in AUS are ya?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
afgan-ali

afgan-ali

thanks for the info ive heard of the 5x5 before might give it ago, but really not sure how it works soo ill research it first, and skeptic am in melbbourne the place too be haha:methman:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
ROFL nobody is ever from brisbane :no:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Brisvegas rules Skeptic, we both know that.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
They film Big Brother on the Gold Coast :disgust:, that is all I have to say about the entire state of Queensland.

The GC is not a true representation of QLD. I hate people from the GC. They're a bunch of douchebags.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
They film Big Brother on the Gold Coast :disgust:, that is all I have to say about the entire state of Queensland.

:bowroflarms: fuck the gold coast. except for a strip club called Hollywoods... fuckin spectacular there :linedrunk:

All gold coast girls are stuck up :disgust: they are all stupid bitches..

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

hahaha like i said melbourne all day wayyy boys :imcoolurnot:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
:bowroflarms: fuck the gold coast. except for a strip club called Hollywoods... fuckin spectacular there :linedrunk:

I'll back you up on that one, I went there for my bucks night... fucking awesome! :techn9ne:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
best strip club in Queensland... if not australia :spy:

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
aussie group sex in this thread?