• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Foam rolling for a better physique

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have been doing a lot of research lately on foam rolling and postural analysis and I am impressed with the benefits that i have discovered. It would be very difficult for me to judge any individuals deviations without putting them through postural assessments such as overhead squat assessment and single leg squat assessment however, the purpose of this thread is to inform about the benefits that foam rolling aka self myofascial release aka autogenic inhibition. I will start off this thread with a simple definition of movement and hope that those who read will be more conscious of their own possible deviations and ways to improve.

The first thing to understand is movement. Movement is the means by which we are able to perform all activities. Understanding normal movement allows us to determine abnormal movement which occur through muscle imbalances. Movement represents the functionality of many systems, primarily the nervous system, muscular system, and articular system. Through factors such as stress, trauma and disease, dysfunction can occur in one or more of these systems. The result is dysfunction, ultimately injury. As bodybuilders, the last thing we want is an injury holding us back. That being said I can assure you, that everyone reading this has some sort of deviation in their movement that could use improvement.

Many people refer to foam rolling as a deep tissue massage that you give yourself but there is much more to it. I would like to provide an example:
.....An individual is assessed through an overhead squat assessment. During this assessment it is found that the individuals feet turn out (external rotation) during the movement and his heels lift off the ground during the movement as well. Just by seeing this, you can have a good idea of muscular deviations.
Possible overactive muscles
.....Lateral head of Gastrocnemius, soleus, short head of bicep femoris, and TFL.
Possible underactive muscles
.....Medial head of gastrocnemius, Semi membranosous, gracilis, popliteus, glute medius, and glute maximus.

So what to do next?
By foam rolling the overactive muscles you stimulate the golgi tendon organ and consequently decrease stimulus to the muscle spindle mechanoreceptors. When done consistently, muscles begin to balance out and work together to perform a movement more efficiently. Exercises to stimulate the weaker muscles will obviously have to be incorporated. When a movement is performed more efficiently, the result will be greater gains and more balanced gains.

Again, this is something difficult to assess on yourself. I will try to post up some pics that show what normal movement is so you can better understand abnormal movement and where your own deviations are. I have recently been working on this after I discovered that my hamstrings and a dominant muscle and my glutes lack stimulation. Through autogenic inhibition combined with glute stimulating exercises, I am now hitting my glutes harder and using them more than ever.

*I pulled this information from recent seminars and classes that I have attended. I give credit to the direct source only to my knowledge, Mike Akana- MS physiology, NASM-CPT,SFS,PES,CES*

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I love the foam roller!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use vibration massage or a tennis ball instead. Have to admit that I don't do this as often as I would like to. Good post Creator.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Thanks I appreciate it! I need to do it more often as well. Its just a pain in the ass sometimes because it can take a while and be quite painful. I will use a tennis ball sometimes too usually for the plantar and erectors.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice! How often do you use it?

Not as often as I should... It has been at least two months since I've last used one. I really need to start up again, my lats really benefited from it, never could get a good deep stretch until I used the roller..

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Could foam rolling help you to get rid of muscle imbalances..?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Depends what is causing the imbalances.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Like Tim said, it wont cure all muscle imbalances but if used correctly, it can really make a difference in the case of over/under active muscles.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
reeves

reeves

I've used the foam roller now for 5 weeks, at first it hurt like hell but now my muschles are much more pliable, I already see increased mobility although my musclee imbalances are the same.

I'll keep at it and report back after my 16 week program cycle. :xyxthumbs:

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Foam rolling is really effective and I would suggest it to everyone. It really prevents injuries and makes you feel better even though rolling itself can be a bit painful.

I do this maybe once in two weeks.

If you don't want to buy those expensive rollers designed especially in this purpose just march to nearest hardware store or something like that and buy few different sized sewer pipes.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Foam rolling is really effective and I would suggest it to everyone. It really prevents injuries and makes you feel better even though rolling itself can be a bit painful.

I do this maybe once in two weeks.

If you don't want to buy those expensive rollers designed especially in this purpose just march to nearest hardware store or something like that and buy few different sized sewer pipes.

Sewer pipes would be way too hard on your body. The foam roller from the link I posted is only 30 USD and with the PVC core it will last a very long time.

Also, to get the full benefit of the foam roller I'd say to foam roll every day, especially your more painful areas and then once the pain is gone while rolling you can slowly work your way down to 2-4 times per week.

Napol3onator

Napol3onator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
damn, in an article I read the friggin things were supposedly under 10 bucks.. O well, i don't minds 30 bucks for injury prevention. You can use this on your bicep right?

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sewer pipes would be way too hard on your body. The foam roller from the link I posted is only 30 USD and with the PVC core it will last a very long time.
I don't think they are but everyone can make their own decisions...

Also, to get the full benefit of the foam roller I'd say to foam roll every day, especially your more painful areas and then once the pain is gone while rolling you can slowly work your way down to 2-4 times per week.
Yes I agree. At the beginning, roll every day or every second day and then the amount of rolling/week can be reduced to 1 or something like that.

Just try and find out what suits for you.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What the hell are foam rolls ? I have no idea what you guys talk about =(

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sewer piping would be a very advanced form of foam rolling. While some of my clients have got to straight pvc pipe, I wouldnt recommend starting with that. For those of you with tight erectors, try taping 2 tennis balls together with athletic tape. Lay on your back with the balls under your erectors and roll them out very slowly. It is very painful but feels amazing when you stand up. All of us probably have tightness in this area.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great post, and great read. However, you will never see me using it :io:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great post, and great read. However, you will never see me using it :io:

If you dont use the foam roller you will get aids and you will die :tiphat: