• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

sauna / steam room after weights

J

jguruz

hey guys, ok a bit of a pansy question i know, but is it counter-productive to hit the sauna/steam room after weights? i do this perhaps twice a week, i'm not sure if it helps with recovery or not , but its just relaxing every now and again.

thanks

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's not counter productive, it's actually productive.

Intermittent hyperthermia enhances skeletal muscle regrowth and attenuates oxidative damage following reloading.Selsby JT, Rother S, Tsuda S, Pracash O, Quindry JC, Dodd SL.
Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States.

Skeletal muscle reloading following disuse is characterized by profound oxidative damage. This study tested the hypothesis that intermittent hyperthermia during reloading attenuates oxidative damage and augments skeletal muscle regrowth following immobilization. Forty animals were randomly divided into four groups: Control (Con), Immobilized (Im), Reloaded (RC), and Reloaded and heated (RH). All groups but Con were immobilized for seven days. Animals in the RC and RH groups were then reloaded for seven days with (RH) or without (RC) hyperthermia (41-41.5 degrees C for 30 min on alternating days) during reloading. Heating resulted in ~25% elevation in HSP expression (p<0.05) and an approximate 30% greater soleus regrowth (p<0.05) in RH when compared to RC. Further, oxidant damage was lower in the RH group when compared to RC as nitrotyrosine and HNE was returned to near baseline when heating was combined with reloading. Reduced oxidant damage was independent of antioxidant enzymes (MnSOD, CuZnSOD, Cat, GPX, GRX). In summary, these data suggest that intermittent hyperthermia during reloading attenuates oxidative stress and improves the rate of skeletal muscle regrowth during reloading after immobilization. Key words: oxidant stress, heat shock protein, antioxidant, oxidative stress, hypertrophy.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

the gym owner were i used to train used to go into the sauna and then straight into cold pool for 10mins and he swore by it, he swore it helped him with recovery so maybe it is a good idea. he was a ifbb pro so who was i to argue haha :keke:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh but you have to sort out which claims are actually substantial. For example yoga claims to be great for you back and yet recent medical studies have shown just how bad it is, and how there has been a large increase in injuries due to its growth in popularity.

On the sauna note, I know that there has been a boat load of research into hot/cold treatments for recovery that haven't been published as they are done by countries to have competitive advanatge over rivals in the Olympics and other events. What we have gotten is a few recent studies that hint at 20 years of applied research. This info would get out to people in the know and may be where some pickup these nuggets.

bigt0919

bigt0919

yea i don't see the sense. Just do some cardio sweat a little. hovae some fast digestion carbs and some protein. Then eat clean for the rest of the day sleep and be reay for the next day at it.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm not sure about the sauna for recovery, but I do know that when I'm hurting from the gym, I'll take a long hot bath instead of a shower to really relax my muscles. It sends me right to bed and I feel like a million bucks in the morning.