• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Music when training

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

what do you listen to when you train?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Lots of metal, punk and hardcore. Archenemy, Raised Fist, Ratm, Hatebreed, Bad Religion, Cog, Dropkick Murphys, 36 Crazyfists, Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan, Slipknot, etc, etc.

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
today i listened to Soulfly and Morbid Angel :2:

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:hsughrepostv4: i think there has been like 4 threads like this one

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's usually a dozen threads relating to music in the gym on bb forums.

Being a newcomer to this site,

I'm actually not into a specific type of genre. If I'm in a focused mood when training, I'll listen to music along the lines of Tiesto. While some days I'll throw on some Korn and disturbed to get me amped. Even some rap works.

Cardio it's usually either hip hop with a fast tempo, or metal. Nothing else. Need that beat to keep me going.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
death metal. deeds of flesh, decapitated, morbid angel, death, suffocation, skinless etc...

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry for the repeat, but aren't there threads like, identical to music?! :carduindisguise

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
heavy metal, gore metal, EBM,industrial,anyother type of metal, some other shit here and there i dont know how to categorize.

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
today i listened to Nile and Death :2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Death metal has always taken me as so try-hard.:uhoh2:

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
^^ Death metal has always taken me as so try-hard.:uhoh2:

says the guy who listens to cock rock :gaygay:

but there is good death metal and then theres try hard death metal ( a lot of people classify shit as death metal which could be problem)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh I listen to all sorts of stuff from Motzart to Metal. But I am yet to get a lot of the gore and death metal, especially the death grunt vocals. Most of the time it isn't musical and is atonal. Atonality has its place in music but can't be the basis of it as it is by definition a defiance of the parameters of music. I don't mind some Slayer and Fear Factory but that is about it in terms of the grunts.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
the point of death metal IS atonality and dissonance. the vocals are more about rhythm than melody. I HATE slayer (except for the reign in blood album) haha not a big fan of fear factory. Theres a lot of gore/brutal death/grind etc that is just noise... but its an accquired taste. I can remember when i thought the same thing about the vocals hehe and now i love them!!

IMO death metal is all about chaos. You ever listened to some of Gyorgi ligeti's microtonal stuff? i liken it to that. When i was doin music at tafe one of my lecturers described it as the microtones being lions and Ligeti being the lion tamer. He would let them go free and then just rip them right back into alighnment. I think its similar with death metal, its abotu the controled chaos.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Gyorgi Ligeti's stuff is interesting but ultimately annoying. I get what you are saying but I haven't heard any atonal stuff that works as a style. Chaos in music can be interesting and challenging but it does have to be reined in to create the correct juxtaposition so that the chaos has a place rather than being the design. This is similar to the hell concept: to occupy a reality that is hell means that hell no longer has meaning without heaven and vice versa. So death metal can't be a style without normal music which as a style is a deliberate move against what we are meant to appreciate in music. As a result I haven't been able to get into most styles of metal that don't have the juxtaposition; since why I like Fear Factory or Slayer.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
does it have to fit into the general criterion of 'normal music.' That is much of what i like about death metal and the more 'extreme' genres. The fact that it is so far detached from the norms. Even in the music i write, time signature changes ever couple bars, over use of diminished scales/tonalities and chromatics. I try to change the riff somehow every time its played because (IMO) i see the riffs getting boring. I love the complete saturation of the senses (some might consider it to be white noise LOL). Having said that im not into heavy music for the fact of it being heavy.. i HATE bands liek slipknot and disturbed and such (they make me angry) But yeah, about it being try hardy, every genre of music is try hardy in some respect.

But yeah its definately an accquired taste, and if you like it youll really like it, but if you dont... then youll probably hate it with all your might haha

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh good point. When I started learning guitar I actually found myself learning riffs and solos rather than chord progression stuff because they were too repetitive and boring. Being able to do that in some sort of meaningful way makes the music more challenging to the player and listener. But of course this leads to it being less accessible to the audience; hence the acquired taste I suppose. The most enjoyable music I have listened to of late is the symphonic metal as it is quite complicated and layered while still retaining a level of accessibility.

I don't think I hate death metal, I just usually find it annoying or laughable. But then again I suppose what I have been exposed to has been the try-hard stuff rather than the bands you listed. I see something similar in hair-metal. It was so lame and stupid but there was some great songs in amoungst it. But this was because it was accessible to the audience and was essentially pop music that was playing off of real metal.

Now hate describes how I feel about shallow vacuous pop music like Britney, etc and pop-rap.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
like nightwish and stuff? i dont like most of their stuff, but a few songs are great! Yeah i used to be one of those preachy little metal cunts (im sure youve seen them LOL) but i just learnt to live with the fact that not everyones gonna enjoy the music i listen to hehe! I even get laughed at by a lot of the people IN the metal 'scene' they either are like 'we're to brutal for any of your sooky lala pwer metal or prog' and the others are like 'wheres the music in death metal' hehe Even the guys in my band dislike most of the music i listen to and we're a metal band!!! haha have you ever heard of a band called God forbid? our singer is really into them :no: drummer is into slipknot and stuff like that :disgust:

But yeah, i love the occasional pop song hehe i really like that 'nothing sweet abotu me' song ey (probably cus i dont listen to the radio much at all) i really dont know whether its the girl singing it or the actual song that i like though... cus the song is fuckin annoying. I really like Kelly clarkson as well :)gaygay:) hehe but yeah, there are times where listening to death metal just hurts my head, and i need something a bit more mellow. but a lot of the time i just love like sitting in my car and headbanging HAHA

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeh Nightwish, Kamelot, Therion, Epica the like. You'll notice that all that stuff tends to be quite melodic while still being reasonably heavy. I've got some other stuff that I've got on the mp3 list but they really are filler as they are just try hards.

I think that is the impression I get of a lot of grunt metal in general. One band I heard was Atreyu which is essentially a pop-punk band with grunt/growl vocals. So pathetically try-hard that it was annoying. I mean growls about some chick cheating on you which sounded straight out of Blink 182.