• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

cardio after weights fine...after 2-3 hours?

J

jguruz

hi guys, just wondering if any of you would recommend lifting, returning home to load up on post-workout meal/nutrition, giving it a few hours and then performing cardio for say 20-30 mins. im only considering this due to my work commitments as i can now only hit the gym 3 days a week. would this encourage fat burning or the opposite? also is anybody currently doing this?

thanks in advance

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hi guys, just wondering if any of you would recommend lifting, returning home to load up on post-workout meal/nutrition, giving it a few hours and then performing cardio for say 20-30 mins. im only considering this due to my work commitments as i can now only hit the gym 3 days a week. would this encourage fat burning or the opposite? also is anybody currently doing this?

thanks in advance

Thing is, so much depends on your goals, and time available. Is it the best way to do things? No, ideally, if you had all the time to eat and train, splitting them up would be best, but few people have this luxury.

If you're strapped for time, you could do weights 3-4x a week, cardio 2x a week, and perhaps every morning, first thing in the morning when you wake up, get up and do a bunch of burpees. I've been doing this a lot lately, trying to work my way up to 100 (I'm at 75 now).

What are your goals exactly? Build muscle? Lose fat? General health?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Impressive on the burpies IS! I incorporate them into every boot camp I teach and I can certainly say that 100 consecutive would be damn impressive!

About the cardio, it depends on how long you are weight training for. If you are done weight training in 45 minutes and want to throw in 20 mins of low intensity cardio, I dont see a problem with that at all. As IS said, I think ideally would be longer duration cardio in the morning and then weight training at least 4 hours after that however, I think you would be fine doing the cardio after weights as long as the total session did not too long. I wouldnt push it past an hour and a half without aminos imo.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The thing is, there's usually science to back up any form of cardio at any given time.

The best advice I could give quite simply, try it out. I don't see a problem with what you're doing. The type of cardio and the duration of it far surpasses an exact time. Give it a try for 4-5 weeks and if you plateau quickly switch the timing.

Everyone's body responds differently. For instance, I adapt better to a steady state moderate intensity 3-4x/wk at night when I'm cutting. HIIT is best but does not work for me. You feeling me man?

Good luck bro.