• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Finding Out How Flavonoids Protect the Heart

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1) The link doesn't work
2) Nudes of girl in avatar or ban!

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Finding Out How Flavonoids Protect the Heart
Meta-analysis shows specific cardiovascular effects of chocolate, soy protein, green tea
By Kathleen Doheny, HealthDay Reporter
Meta-analysis shows specific cardiovascular effects of chocolate, soy protein, green tea.

THURSDAY, July 10 (HealthDay News) -- For years, scientists have known that flavonoids, antioxidants found in foods as diverse as fruit, vegetables, herbs, grains and chocolate, are heart-healthy.

Now, researchers who looked at the effects of flavonoid-rich foods on cardiovascular disease risk factors such as high blood pressure have linked certain foods with specific benefits.

Health benefits associated with flavonoids have been reported for decades, but it's still difficult for experts to make specific recommendations about which flavonoids to eat for specific health effects because of a lack of data. Antioxidants slow or prevent the oxidative process caused by substances called free radicals, which can cause cell dysfunction and the onset of heart disease and other health problems.

In the new study, Dr. Lee Hooper, a lecturer at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, U.K., and colleagues sifted through the 133 studies to look at the links between different flavonoid subclasses and flavonoid-rich foods on different risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as unhealthy cholesterol, high blood pressure and blood flow.

Among the findings:

* Eating chocolate or cocoa increased a measure called flow-mediated dilation, which is a good indication of blood flow in the veins. It also reduced blood pressure, both systolic (the upper number, reflecting the maximum pressure exerted when the heart contracts) by about 6 points, and diastolic (the bottom number, reflecting the maximum pressure when the heart is at rest), by about 3.3 points. But it didn't seem to have an effect on so-called "bad" LDL cholesterol.
* Soy protein reduced diastolic blood pressure by almost 2 points of mercury and improved bad cholesterol but didn't improve so-called good HDL cholesterol. But those effects were found just for isolated soy protein, not for other soy products.
* A habit of green tea drinking reduced bad cholesterol levels, but drinking black tea boosted both systolic and diastolic pressure -- by 5.6 points for systolic and 2.5 for diastolic.

As more research on flavonoids becomes available, it is likely that no single one will emerge as a "miracle food, but that many will contribute to our cardiovascular health," said Hooper, whose review was published in the July issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The new review helps define the role of foods rich in antioxidants, said Dr. Johanna Geleijnse, a nutritional epidemiologist at Wageningen University, the Netherlands, who co-authored an editorial to accompany the report.

"Evidence is accumulating that these substances are more important to cardiovascular health than vitamin C and vitamin E," and this most recent analysis strongly suggests good effects on blood pressure and blood vessel function, she said.

But much remains to be found out, she added.

Meanwhile, what to do? Eat a good mixture of the flavonoid-rich foods you like best, said Hooper. "For me, this would include lots of fruit, small amounts of a good dark chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa), plus the basics like onions and green tea and an occasional glass of red wine."

1. Nudes or ban

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
* A habit of green tea drinking reduced bad cholesterol levels, but drinking black tea boosted both systolic and diastolic pressure -- by 5.6 points for systolic and 2.5 for diastolic.
Hmmm, considering it is a mild stimulant is this really a surprise. I'd like to know if the black tea (or green tea for that matter) makes that change at rest (i.e. when tea hasn't just been consumed).

1) Original study
2) Nudes of avatar chick or ban

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
***Bump, hey you guys, I heard there is a thread about my previous avatar, now don't say it isn't true because someone told me, so fes up guys! lol