• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to build that chest?

swifty1

swifty1

Hey guys,
Been going gym for abit now and am finding it hard to gain muscle on my chest, i have improved in the weights i lift but not by as much as i should be! any1 got any tips or routines they would like to share with me to get that 'arnie' chest :keke: cheers!!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Lift more? :dunnodude:

Really need a few more details on what you actually do, what your strengths and weaknesses are, what training you do etc.

Consider where your presses fail, whether you have dominant muscle groups in compound movements etc.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In order to get that desired Arnie chest it will take a little more than a solid chest routine, lol.

In sequence to Tim's post, please give us your current chest routine (exercises, reps, sets, etc.) along with your chest day in perspective with other body parts. There's far too many possibilities for why your chest is lagging.

Once you supply us with this info...we're good to go! Most people overthink it, and the answer usually results in "switch it up, eat more and go heavier".

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The two guys got it right, you need to post us up your current routine, whether it's fullbody, splits whatever, so that way we can understand where you're coming from. Also, you could tell us what your current diet is as well and how many hours of sleep you get. There can be very minor problems that can be fixed easily if you provide with what you're already doing. Thanks!

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ill provide something for you. Most people with lagging chests pre exhaust. Do pec deck, DB flys or cable crossovers with 15-20 reps for about 3 sets as you first exercise then do your pressing movements.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ Yep, I've seen that happen.

I had and somewhat have a lagging chest. Much improved. Problem is, that the boney mass is not thick where the pec connects to the sternum. People can have nicely developed and well shaped chest just not thickened.

A chest routine isn't very complex. All that is really necessary is:

A flat movement
An incline movement
A fly movement

This is usually altered depending on what's lagging. For instance, someone who's clav head is lagging they add more incline presses/fly movements. Same goes for all. Change the routine how it benefits you.

Just kill the food and focus on pressing aspect of dynamic chest movements. It's not too difficult.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well for starters don't waste your time with movements like flys of any type whether that be cable, DB's, or pec-deck.
I can give you what I prescribe many who ask me how to build their chest and it works everytime, thus far. There are several routines or tricks you can try but, all you really need are heavy multi-joint compound movements like Presses. Pick three presses and do one or two heavy working sets per exercise with a rep range of 8-10. Warm up on the first exercise with a set or two then go right into your heaviest set with a weight you can squeeze out 8-10 reps with little assistance. You will be stronger than you think getting rid of all those BS sets that do not build muscle that most people do before their heaviest set. Then move on to the next exercise and go right into your heavy set, only do one or two working sets per exercise based on how you feel.

This is my advice to you based off you not giving me an info about your current training regimen. I made assumptions of mistakes most new bodybuilders/weightlifters make and this is the advice I would give. Good luck, let us know if you need any help.
Also, as tim and The_KM mentioned below let us see what you are currently doing. We need more info. :tiphat:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Well for starters don't waste your time with movements like flys of any type whether that be cable, DB's, or pec-deck.
I can give you what I prescribe many who ask me how to build their chest and it works everytime, thus far. There are several routines or tricks you can try but, all you really need are heavy multi-joint compound movements like Presses. Pick three presses and do one or two heavy working sets per exercise with a rep range of 8-10. Warm up on the first exercise with a set or two then go right into your heaviest set with a weight you can squeeze out 8-10 reps with little assistance. You will be stronger than you think getting rid of all those BS sets that do not build muscle that most people do before their heaviest set. Then move on to the next exercise and go right into your heavy set, only do one or two working sets per exercise based on how you feel.

I'm going with Braaq on this one. Flies, etc are a waste of time for chest building IMO. You need good heavy presses.

:xyxthumbs:

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I'm going with Braaq on this one. Flies, etc are a waste of time for chest building IMO. You need good heavy presses.

:xyxthumbs:

Flat dumbbell flyes helped me build up my chest, and imo helped it grow wide and long :coolguy:

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Hey Tony. Vacation was great, had really good fun there with the rides and esp with the food :greedy:
Glad to be back though and i'm looking forward to hitting the gym on Monday

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll go with Braaq on this one.

Keep it simple, that's all. At the end of the workout you could squeeze out all you have left with cable crossovers or flies.

Just do some bench press, both flat and incline. Also with dumbells.

D

DIPLOMAT007

i also have a lagging chest too what would you say is too much , like too many exercises and sets considering im doing tris afterwards

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Any vaguer and I'd be sending out a sniffer dog.

D

DIPLOMAT007

lol i do
4 x flat bench press
3 x incline bench press
3 x incline flies
3 x dips failure
3 x decline cable flies or 3 decline bench press

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
lol i do
4 x flat bench press
3 x incline bench press
3 x incline flies
3 x dips failure
3 x decline cable flies or 3 decline bench press

You could quite easily lose half of that routine. I'd blow the flies for sure. Just do 5 sets of bench and may 2-3 sets of an accessory exercise if you think you need something else.

Variety always helps as well. Do flat bench for 3-4 weeks then change it to decline or dumbbells, etc. Do that for 3-4 weeks and then change back. You should see some pretty good improvements in your chest and strength before too long.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Considering that the sternal and claviclular heads are not going to be overly differently hit when you do your presses in the same workout, you really only need the one press. Flys are borderline worthless, dips can have their place as an accessory as they hit the arms hard as well, declines are pretty ordinary.

So basically yes, you are doing too much for chest. You would be better served with one main exercise and an accessory. Try to get somewhere between 25-35 reps at +85% of 1RM or 35-50 at +70%.