• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Cuban taekwondo fighter banned for life after kicking ref in the face

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
BAHAHAHAHA!
kick_682x400_562597a-1.jpg

CUBAN taekwondo exponent Angel Valodia Matos has attacked a referee at the Beijing Olympics and faces a lifetime ban from international competition.

Swedish referee Chakir Chelbat required stitches to a cut lip after being kicked in the face by Matos after he was disqualified in a men's quarter-final bout.

The 31-year-old Cuban erupted when he was sent off for taking too much injury time in the middle of the second round of his +80kg bout against world silver medallist Arman Chilmanov of Kazakhstan.

The World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) immediately said that Matos and his coach, Leodis Gonzalez, would be barred permanently from all championships it promotes and sanctions.

"This is a strong violation of the spirit of taekwondo and the Olympic Games," the stadium announcer said reading from a World Taekwondo Federation statement.

"The sanctions are the following and are effective immediately: Lifetime ban of the coach and athlete in all championships sanctioned by the World Taekwondo Federation and at the same time, all records of this athlete at the Beijing Games will immediately be erased."

But WTF secretary general Yang Jin-Suk said later the expulsion was "not final" but would be recommended to the International Olympic Committee as the incident occured during an Olympic event.

"But at the same time, we as the WTF will look, in conjunction with the IOC, to see what legal action we could impose on these individuals, separately from the IOC," Yang said.

Gonzalez added further controversy to the incident by claiming the match was fixed, accusing the Kazakhs offering bribes for Matos to lose.

Gonzalez said the referee was to blame.

"(Chelbat) was too strict," Gonzalez said.

Chilmanov was surprised at Matos's "unsportsmanlike manner" and did not believe the Cuban would have been able to continue after failing to recover within the regulation one-minute injury time.

"He got injured in the bout. To me it was obvious he was unable to continue. His toe on his left foot was broken," said Chilmanov who went on to win the bronze medal.

A women's bout also ended in controvery when China's two-time champion Chen Zhong had her quarter-final victory overturned on appeal.

Britain's Sarah Stevenson claimed she'd been robbed when the judges failed to award her two points for a high-kick to Chen's head 10 seconds from time, and the Chinese went on to win 1-0.

"They're blatantly robbing me of going into the semi-finals," Stevenson said immediately afterwards.

"There's one thing I hate about this sport is that the judges can control people's lives and can take points away and they can do whatever they want."

But she lodged an appeal and for the first time since the high-speed martial art made its debut at the 2000 Games the jury reversed the result and Stevenson went on to win a bronze medal.

South Korea won their fourth taekwondo gold medal from their fourth outing in the Games when
Cha Dong-Min beat Athens silver medallist Alexandros Nikolaidis of Greece 5-4 in the +80kg heavyweight final.

It was the first major international title for Cha who celebrates his 22nd birthday on Sunday.

It was also South Korea's first sweep of all divisions they contested, after they won three in Sydney and two in Athens.

Countries are restricted to a maximum four fighters, two men and two women, with the quota originally introduced to prevent South Korea, the homeland of the sport, monopolising the medals.
World champion Maria del Rosario Espinoza beat Norway's Nina Solheim to win the women's +67kg heavyweight gold, giving Mexico its second Olympic title after Guillermo Perez triumphed earlier in the men's -58kg competition.

Youtube seems to have removed all the videos for copyright reasons so if anybody can find a vid I'd be stoked. NBC seems to have one but its only available to users with the United States.

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
HAHAHAHA that pic is SUPER!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
hahahaha fucking hilarious!!!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
thats funny for so many reasons
wtf

For make benefit of the glorious nation of khazikstan.

and the obvious, he kicked a fuckin ref in the head.

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here it is:

Shit, youtube has removed all videos of that kick. I bet the original vid can be found from somewhere else though.

PS.
judge_180x250_562598a-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
LMAO :49:
that's what IFBB judges deserve sometimes :carduindisguise

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Click the image and it'll work.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What a loser. He should be trialled and put away. Primitive bastard.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pft, Shawn Michaels does that shit all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Youtube seems to have removed all the videos for copyright reasons so if anybody can find a vid I'd be stoked. NBC seems to have one but its only available to users with the United States.

NBC is lame; they've removed all videos from youtube and other video hosting websites. Plus, there are a lot of videos from foreign countries they won't show (Like Usain Bolt's 200m sprint). Hopefully the next Olympics won't be mainly hosted by NBC and I won't have to see Bob Costas on a daily basis.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
you must spread some rep around before giving it to ironslave again.