• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Difference between oly, regular and powerlifting squats

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like the titel said, whats the difference between the 3 type of squats?

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like the titel said, whats the difference between the 3 type of squats?

Olympic lifters usually have a shoulder width stance, or even closer, when squatting; powerlifters, if it's a geared comp, will go pretty wide (sometimes as wide as a sumo deadlift stance). Bar placement depends but I've noticed a lot of powerlifters like to go as high as they can on their upper back since it's not as much stress on the shoulders and it's easier to stay up right. I'm guessing with regular squats you just mean what most guys do in the gym? Usually shoulder width stance and bar placement is where ever comfy.

It really doesn't matter where your stance is; you'll always be hitting your lower body in pretty much the same manner. I wouldn't recommend squatting real wide unless you have briefs or a suit and I wouldn't recommend squatting any closer than shoulder width for proper knee tracking.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PL Squats:
Bar usually on the middle traps rather than on top of the shoulders.
Much wider stance for more upright shins and greater posterior chain involvement.
THighs parrallel depth.

OL Squats:
High bar placement (usually).
Greater forward movement of the knee.
Lower depth of the hips, meaning more mobility at the hips required.
Medium stance, usually max of shoulder width to allow better depth.

Normal??
Some jerk standing with a bar loaded up far too heavy.
Feet placed however they allign when unracking.
Bar padded and sitting on top of the neck or shoulders.
Depth almost noticable at the knees but mainly by back bending and grunting noise.
Mainly focusses the effort on the ego.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim I like your description of normal.