• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Singles or triples?

S

SRUDWARF

For max effort work should i work up to a 1 rep max or a 3 rep max? Right now i'm working up to a set or 2-5 reps. Has anyone seen good strength gains with max singles?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Depends on your goal. Heavy singles are good, but heavy triples can work well too. Strength gains will depend on how much adaptation you encourage to occur. So doing several sets of singles will do wonders for strength...... for singles. Is that your goal; to be able to compete in a strength meet?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I concur with Tim, heavy singles do wonders for strength and they give me some of the best pumps I've ever had.

S

SRUDWARF

well im concerned in bringing up my lockout for sumo deadlifts and wanted to knwo if i should rack pulls with singles or triples.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well im concerned in bringing up my lockout for sumo deadlifts and wanted to knwo if i should rack pulls with singles or triples.

If you're only going to be doing rack pulls to try and bring up your deadlift you should probably periodize. 5 reps for the first week, 3 for the second and then singles for the third week and then deload the fourth week and repeat or pick a different exercise. Ideally, max effort exercises are changed every week, though.

S

SRUDWARF

If you're only going to be doing rack pulls to try and bring up your deadlift you should probably periodize. 5 reps for the first week, 3 for the second and then singles for the third week and then deload the fourth week and repeat or pick a different exercise. Ideally, max effort exercises are changed every week, though.

i do 3 weeks of the same max effort and then delaod, and change my routine.

Mapa

Mapa

i would do singels each week.. and change different movements each week also, you can pull from different holes if you only want to do lockout work, but i would also add some 3rm GMs

S

SRUDWARF

I was thinking

Week 1- 1RM at knees
Week 2: same weight as week 1 but 1 pin lower
week 3: same weight but off the floor

Mapa

Mapa

I was thinking

Week 1- 1RM at knees
Week 2: same weight as week 1 but 1 pin lower
week 3: same weight but off the floor

sounds like a plan, but i wouldnt care about the weight from the past week,, just hit a max each week.. if you're like me and have a good drive from the floor, you can actually be stronger from the floor than low pins.

good luck

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sounds like a plan, but i wouldnt care about the weight from the past week,, just hit a max each week.. if you're like me and have a good drive from the floor, you can actually be stronger from the floor than low pins.

good luck

Just wanted to back up what Mapa said; don't get caught up in the weight from week to week, just hit your max for that given day on that given movement and that's all that matters.

If you do decide to do goodmornings, just make sure you're doing the movement with your hips and not your back.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ditto what Wolf and Mapa said; don't get caught up in the weight in that progression. I'd doubt that you would be able to progress that much in 3 weeks to make using the same weight possible.

T

The Sheriff

i would stick with the singles, always trying for a PR. another tip is that you may actually be pulling too much, try bringing up your lockout strength with other special excersises, glute-hams, pull thrus, reverse hypers, back extensions. the hardest way to get stronger deadlifting is to deadlift all the time.

oh yeah and box squats. real low box squats. get good at those and youll blast through sticking points cause of the explosiveness and speed you build off a low box.

S

SRUDWARF

im setting a pr about 2-3 weeks out of 4, i decided to work on my parallel box squat right now and do 8-12 reps with deadlifts. if i post up what i'm going to do can you guys critique it

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im setting a pr about 2-3 weeks out of 4, i decided to work on my parallel box squat right now and do 8-12 reps with deadlifts. if i post up what i'm going to do can you guys critique it
No, that goes against the purpose of an internet forum :49: