• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

barbell or dumbell bench, any difference?

J

jguruz

Guys, i've been training about 8 - 12 months now and have noticed considerable differences in my chest growth, but they're not on par with my buddy who started training with me. The only difference being he prefers barbell bench press whereas i opt to use dumbells. I'm wondering if that could be the reason? I seem to haul a bit more weight using dumbells on a flat bench, the same goes with incline. Any advice would be appreciated.

Train 5 times a week, trying to lose weight/cut, weigh 70kg, max bench (dumbells 30kg each :ugh: )

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Well for starters if you're actually trying to lose weight/cut seriously, diet included, then you can't really expect to be making great size gains. Of course as a beginner you tend to make some sort of gain everyday but you can't expect them to be awesome when you're dieting to do the opposite.

As far as BB/DB difference goes I consider the BB bench the king of chest moves. It just allows you to move greater weight and put greater stresses on your pectorals. DBs are great and are an essential part of your workout program but they're just not the same IMO.

As far as answering your question properly though, there could be many reasons why your mate has more development than you. He might have a better workout program, better genetic potential, etc, etc.

Have you tried hitting chest twice a week if its your lagging point? Maybe do a full body split for extra growth?

Toss your program up here as well so we can see if there's any problems there.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BB:
greater ROM
greater loading
greater chance of shoulder injury/degeneration
easier to handle

DB:
can have better plane of motion
better balance between left and right sides
requires more co-ordination
requires greater synergist involvement

I personally like to change between the two when I get the chance. I newbie in a gym would be best served by alternating between the two types each cycle (4-6weeks).

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Not much beats BB bench for size and strength... but DB arent that far behind (IMO) and are far more shoulder friendly.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i think you always get better squeeze/contraction with db, u feels the chesst working more soo i prefer dumbells on bench

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guys, i've been training about 8 - 12 months now and have noticed considerable differences in my chest growth, but they're not on par with my buddy who started training with me. The only difference being he prefers barbell bench press whereas i opt to use dumbells. I'm wondering if that could be the reason? I seem to haul a bit more weight using dumbells on a flat bench, the same goes with incline. Any advice would be appreciated.

Train 5 times a week, trying to lose weight/cut, weigh 70kg, max bench (dumbells 30kg each :ugh: )

Firstly, if you're cutting, any form of hypertrophy really won't be noticeable. Maintaining is a treat on its own. Second, your bud prob responds differently. We all do not grow at the same rate, unfortunately (genetic potential). No need to worry.

I advise of dumbbells over barbells anytime. There's more a natural ROM and a lesser strain on the rotator cuff.

It's all up to you my friend. :techn9ne:

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i can put on more weight with db's, but i feel like i get more out of it with bb's :carduforvip

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BB:
greater chance of shoulder injury/degeneration

I would just like to add that this can be altered by where you touch. If your touching your lower pecs your elbows are flaired and this puts a crap load of tension on your shoulders. But, if you touch high on your stomach (which would require an arch and leg drive to do so properly) your elbows will naturally tuck which puts less torque on the shoulders.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No matter what everyone's opinion is, they are neither right or wrong. They can only give you their experience or what they have read or what some study has said.

My advice just try them both out, even try machines.. Hammer Strength is one of my favorite.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No matter what everyone's opinion is, they are neither right or wrong. They can only give you their experience or what they have read or what some study has said.

My advice just try them both out, even try machines.. Hammer Strength is one of my favorite.
:angrydude:

This is a very disrespectfull post and shows a complete lack of understanding of physiology and biomechanics. Tests have shown that DB's when used correctly can be put through a more natural pressing motion that creates greater recruitment of target muscles with minimal shoulder strain. Other tests have shown that BB bench with a 1.5x biacromonial width pressed from the nipple line also does the same (but with more limitations than the DB).

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ahh Tim... I am happy you responded..

See here is the thing science and studies said the world would do horrible things in 2000.. Remember Y2K??? Then there is a person called the surgeon general who says smoking will kill you and all sorts of things. Then you have my grandpa who is health as a horse who has smoked for 50 years. You see my friend the scientist and everyone else can produce their little studies and what not. But the reality is that every person is made differently, I think it's fair to say not one person has the same ROM... The list could go on for years.. I believe it's just like the whole diet epidemic not one person is correct.

Now for you to personally attack me and my post is wrong. I thought your were respected for a reason? I am so happy that you could parrot off something you read.. I know it's knowledge but I like that word.. I do it as well...

So onto my next point.... I just simply in my post nothing that said that you had to do BB or DB.. I said just give everything a try.. Do you know what this guys form looks like? I mean what do you really know about him? Nothing.... But yet you give a specific advice.. I just simply stated that he should try and see what works for him..

Also you never responded to my P.M.

Come on Tim... Respond back I look forward to reading your studies... I never knew science built muscle? I think it's trial and error.. What's that called learning?? seeing what works for you?? That's why there are thousands of training programs, science agrees with some and other's they don't..

So you get the facts straight and do not show your rudeness towards me in another thread...

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ahh Tim... I am happy you responded..

See here is the thing science and studies said the world would do horrible things in 2000.. Remember Y2K??? Then there is a person called the surgeon general who says smoking will kill you and all sorts of things. Then you have my grandpa who is health as a horse who has smoked for 50 years. You see my friend the scientist and everyone else can produce their little studies and what not. But the reality is that every person is made differently, I think it's fair to say not one person has the same ROM... The list could go on for years.. I believe it's just like the whole diet epidemic not one person is correct.

Now for you to personally attack me and my post is wrong. I thought your were respected for a reason? I am so happy that you could parrot off something you read.. I know it's knowledge but I like that word.. I do it as well...

So onto my next point.... I just simply in my post nothing that said that you had to do BB or DB.. I said just give everything a try.. Do you know what this guys form looks like? I mean what do you really know about him? Nothing.... But yet you give a specific advice.. I just simply stated that he should try and see what works for him..

Also you never responded to my P.M.

Come on Tim... Respond back I look forward to reading your studies... I never knew science built muscle? I think it's trial and error.. What's that called learning?? seeing what works for you?? That's why there are thousands of training programs, science agrees with some and other's they don't..

So you get the facts straight and do not show your rudeness towards me in another thread...

It really comes down to facts are facts.

Sure everyone responds differently on different subjects but based on opinions, studies and facts it seems conclusive that the plane of motion, the ROM and workload is far more natural than that of barbells. Whether you tuck your elbows in during a Flat BB pres, the free ROM of each limb is not independent. The susprinatus/teres is always aggravated during a press but BB's have always proven to be the main one to do this.

I agree though everyone should try it out on their own.

Not trying to nit pick or start anything, just saying. Science illustrates what does build muscle. Without it we wouldn't understand nutritionally what helps us grow...same with exercise and weights.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Km I understand and respect your opinion and I do agree to some extent...

However my post was towards Tim.. Who has yet to respond. Personally I felt attacked by him.. You can clearly see in my post I spoke nothing about his post or called him by name. However Tim did decide to quote my post and pass judgement.

As for science. To me science is nothing more than trial and error.. That was my whole point..

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

its okay he did the same thing to me too, almost telling me that whats currently workign well for me was wrong, when we know the slightest thing of each other

to back up youngmusclejock

hes basically saying in his original post that theres no ONE miracle exercise to do, one may or may not be better than the other and it really comes down to alot of individual factors. also that the OP should try his hand at all ways to see how he wants to start out after everyones input

there end of thread.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First, stop whining. Please post the thread Tim did this? I'd like to justifiably see how he did this. Science is science and so is physiology. If it doesn't work for you fine, but chances are it does just you haven't properly overloaded the muscle, form, cycling, etc.

I agree with both ends of the "debate" if that's what you'd like to label it.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
its okay he did the same thing to me too, almost telling me that whats currently workign well for me was wrong, when we know the slightest thing of each other

to back up youngmusclejock

hes basically saying in his original post that theres no ONE miracle exercise to do, one may or may not be better than the other and it really comes down to alot of individual factors. also that the OP should try his hand at all ways to see how he wants to start out after everyones input

there end of thread.

wow .... so commanding :gaygay:

pretty sure we all understood what Youngmusclejock said. But thanks for clarifying :xyxthumbs:

And pretty sure Tim is one of the most knowledgable members of this forum, so a little more respect usually is appreciated.

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

even so, no right to justify his attack on me.