• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Exercising to power the gym?

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26430304/wid/11915829?GT1=40006

Among the more unusual features at the Green Microgym, which opened Friday, is a four-person machine called Team Dynamo, which harnesses the collective power of exercisers as they pedal and turn hand cranks. Unlike with spin bikes, the added hand cranks are designed to provide rigorous upper-body workouts — as well as yield additional electricity.

In addition to the Team Dynamo, Boesel has re-engineered a small motor to capture the pedal power from a trio of spin bikes and generate electricity for the gym’s television and stereo system. A more sophisticated version, he said, could be scaled up for larger spaces.

The total output is small but not insignificant — initially, Boesel believes the Team Dynamo and his modified spin bikes could collectively generate about 1,000 watts per hour. But beyond the modest boost in member-generated power, Boesel also hopes to encourage patrons to reconsider how they can reduce their own electricity use while trimming their waistlines.

Cool idea :wutyousay:

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:jerkoff1: <- manual energy is the future :keke:

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's... fucking ingenious. Imagine if every cardio machine in which the user has to move something had this. Tons of free energy !!

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's an excellent idea. I heard of a gym here in Australia trialing a similar thing. When you think about it, busy gyms with a shitload of exercise bikes could atleast generate a significant amount of power to be put to some good use.