• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bush Cancels Nuclear Peace with Russia

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a pointed but mostly symbolic expression of displeasure with Moscow, President Bush on Monday canceled a once-celebrated civilian nuclear cooperation deal with Russia.

Bush had sent the agreement to Congress for approval in May, after a much-heralded signing by the two nations that capped two years of tough negotiations. On Monday, he officially pulled it back, a move announced by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"We make this decision with regret," said Rice, in a statement read by spokesman Sean McCormack. "Unfortunately, given the current environment, the time is not right for this agreement."

The action -- combined with a recently announced $1 billion foreign aid package for tiny, West-leaning Georgia and the time Vice President Dick Cheney spent last week railing against Russia throughout its backyard -- forms the U.S. administration's punishment of Moscow for its invasion of Georgia. The nuclear deal was highly unlikely to win approval on Capitol Hill this year anyway, but Bush decided to actively withdraw it to make a loud statement.

Moscow, though, might not be much inclined to hear it.

Newly flush with riches from sales of its vast energy resources, Russia appears to feel it no longer has as much need for the potentially billions in revenue the deal would have provided. The agreement would have let Moscow establish a lucrative business as the center for the import and storage of spent nuclear fuel from American-supplied reactors around the world.

And the deal's disappearance puts a dent in some important global goals for Bush. It would have given Washington access to state-of-the-art Russian nuclear technology, while helping it address climate change by increasing civilian nuclear energy use worldwide and keeping nuclear material out of terrorists' hands.

But in a sign of the almost Cold War-like state of U.S.-Russia relations right now, Bush determined the extensive and unprecedented cooperation spelled out in the agreement is "no longer in the national security interests" of the United States.

"The U.S. non-proliferation goals contained in the agreement remain valid: to provide a sound basis for U.S.-Russian civilian nuclear cooperation, create commercial opportunities and enhance cooperation with Russia on important global non-proliferation issues," said Rice.

Though it has been clear for days that the Georgia invasion was the impetus for this expected decision, McCormack would not say so publicly. He said only that the administration has had "some deep concerns about Russia behavior" for some time. The U.S. embassy in Moscow informed the Kremlin last week that the move was coming.

One advantage of pulling the deal rather than allowing it to die on Capitol Hill as it surely would have is that it now remains effectively on ice. The president -- or his successor -- could determine the deal is once again in U.S. interests and resubmit it for approval. Rice signaled this by saying the administration will follow developments closely and reevaluate the situation at a later date that she did not specify.

Key lawmakers were suspicious of the deal from the start, fearing it could undermine U.S. efforts to rein in Iran's nuclear program, because of Russia's extensive business and energy -- including nuclear -- ties with Tehran.

After the disastrous Georgia-Russia war, the deal's outlook became even more grim, with some lawmakers asking Bush to pull it to show Moscow its actions wouldn't be tolerated. There isn't enough time left in the fall legislative calendar for the required review period to run out -- the kind of scenario that would result in it taking effect without congressional action.

The Georgia-Russia fighting began August 7 when Georgia's military tried to re-establish control over its breakaway, pro-Russian province of South Ossetia. Russia joined the battle, brutally repelled the Georgian offensive and then pushed deep into Georgia proper, where many of its forces remain more than a month later.

Moscow has recognized South Ossetia and Georgia's other separatist province of Abkhazia as independent states.

Administration officials determined almost immediately that Russia must suffer some consequences for its bloody use of force against a sovereign, Western-allied neighbor, but wanted to take punitive measures in concert with Europe. They have been frustrated, though, at the lack of similar resolve among allies, who have offered condemnation of Russia but little else.

There may be more actions to come from Washington.

The $1 billion economic recovery package for Georgia puts the impoverished Black Sea nation in the top tier of U.S foreign aid recipients. It does not include any military aid, but U.S. officials have indicated some will probably be added in the future.

The U.S. had been helping the Georgian military modernize and it is likely the U.S. will help the Georgian forces rebuild again after their near-total rout by Russia. That effort could be given more punch -- and will likely be greeted angrily in Moscow -- if Washington agrees to start selling sophisticated anti-aircraft and anti-tank military hardware to Georgia.

Moscow has already accused the U.S. of instigating or even helping Georgia make its ill-fated incursion into South Ossetia.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This will only end in tears.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow, things are really heating up... but the title of this story doesn't match the story itself. Was this the title of the article you got this from? If so, terrible journalism and propaganda because that is not what Bush was doing :dunnodude:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well.. i'd best be buidling that bunker now
had the plans for it for some time...

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This will only end in tears.

fallout3_1.jpg

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I'm going to start digging my bunker in the backyard.
falloutboy-1.jpg

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the Russian Navy is already in the Atlantic.