• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

help! Mercury? Bad or Bull?

PoniendomeRoka17

PoniendomeRoka17

hey just a simple question i think... humm i was looking around on my daily research for knowing more about bodybuilding which i love and even thou i never write in this forum i always read it, so i have my first question about nutrition, i was also checking another one of my favorite forums and saw this thread which supposebly says that eating more than 5 oz of albacore tuna which is one of my daily portions of protein, is too much mercury for our bodies, this is the website of the "mercury calculator" http://www.gotmercury.org you put in your weight and it tells you if your high on mercury, im super high i guess because my intake weekly is of atleast 50 oz. of fish am i doing something so bad for my body? or is this all bullshit? thankyou in advance for helping me.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
too much mercury in your body is a bad thing yes... ill wait for more knowledgable people to explain why.. but yes its bad.

allstar

allstar

Mercury attacks the central nervous system,rips the liver to shit and also affects the mouth, gums, and teeth. High exposure over long periods of time will result in brain damage and ultimately death.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would advise that you consume no more than three cans a week on a consistent basis. I know somebody who got mercury poisining from too much tuna and it doesnt seem like much fun. Too much of anything can be potentially harmful.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I eat a minimum of 2 cans a day. For the past 4 years. No ill effects yet.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I eat a minimum of 2 cans a day. For the past 4 years. No ill effects yet.

yeah, i also eat atleast a can of tuna a day, some periods, if im tired of chicken or out of protein powder ill eat even more. its so damn cheap and i havent noticed anything, but i guess its more long term effects of more mercury in ur body.

PoniendomeRoka17

PoniendomeRoka17

thanku everybody for the support, i just had that little question, ima stick with atleast 3 cans a week i need it...

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mercury attacks the central nervous system,rips the liver to shit and also affects the mouth, gums, and teeth. High exposure over long periods of time will result in brain damage and ultimately death.

No plagiarizing. Just found somewhat exactly what you said on wikipedia.

Anyway,

Mercury does effect your neural system. You would know if you had posing, however some don't, which is why it further effects people. It can be treated if caught early enough. You need to eat excessive amounts of high mercury content foods. 3-4/wk is fine, which is every other day as well.

Variety is another key to dieting so this can help.

Get some: tilapia, catfish, salmon, flounder, etc.

allstar

allstar

Ok well what ever, really if your worried about it, just go get a blood test. Also there are more toxins in fruits and veggies than there is in tuna.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok well what ever, really if your worried about it, just go get a blood test. Also there are more toxins in fruits and veggies than there is in tuna.
You may want to qualify this statement :disgust:

I was completely unaware that fruits and veggies had anything in them that can't be washed off. Certainly nothing that isn't appearing as background levels in all things we consume. Tuna on the other hand is a high order predator with a relatively long life span that will have concentrated any environmental toxins in its tissues. Thus consuming it regularly will mean consuming more concentrated contaminants. But having said that any fish we consume that we don't catch ourselves or buy from a market as a whole fish has actually been processed and cleaned. Eating fish in this manner will actually deliver very little in the way of omega 3's, as it has been removed to put in the capsules we buy.

I'd be more concerned about the quality of our water and the processed foods that we eat.

Mercury can be a concern if you regularly consume large quantities of large sea predators like tuna. Best thing is to have it once to twice a week. Moderation applies to all foods.

edit: before anyone wants to argue with me over this, bear in mind that this is the area I work in.

allstar

allstar

Ya alot of the toxins in fruits and vegs can be avoided I was just pointing something out:xyxthumbs:

U

Unregistered

Banned
edit: before anyone wants to argue with me over this, bear in mind that this is the area I work in.

You work on a fish market?

I was completely unaware that fruits and veggies had anything in them that can't be washed off.

Get your info straight before you make obnoxious statements like: 'before anyone wants to argue with me'

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You work on a fish market?

Get your info straight before you make obnoxious statements like: 'before anyone wants to argue with me'
I was referring to the supposed toxins in the fruit and veges. You really need to get some comprehension skills. As for the qualifier; I put that in because people want to claim organics, etc are clean and green which just isn't the case. I was dissuading the nut jobs who want to argue about herbicides and pesticides being evil with someone who researches in the food industry for a living.

And another thing; what is wrong with my info? Higher order fish will accumulate toxic substances. Fruits and veges don't usually absorb and pass chemicals through the food chain unless they aren't prepared properly. Water is the biggest source of contamination in our daily lives.

MetalMX

MetalMX

I can tell you first hand mercury toxicity is a hell ride.

I had high mercury levels from eating lots and lots of tuna all the time, then i used DNP and bam mercury went skyhigh to the point where i noticed severe symptoms right away and since mercury interferes with liver enzymes p450 and other things the body isnt able to detoxify it... and heavy metals dont easily leave the body.

I had chronic fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, depression/suicidal thoughts, lots of salivation, muscle soreness, weight loss, appetite loss, stomach inflammation/intestinal permiability, metallic taste in the mouth.

I now have to do IV chelation therapy.

I Found out about mercury toxicity through hair mineral analysis.

Note: DNP is a poison, stear clear of it.

Rule of thumb moderation is the key in life.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
got a fright when i saw this as i eat a LOT of tuna since its cheap and i try to less the burden of the food bill on my dad. but mine is skipjack tuna which is lower in mercury and therefore safer so try and switch over to skipjack.