• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

New routine !!!

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guys, I need a new routine which promotes growth. This is what my current one looks like:

EDIT: Reps added

Day 1: Chest

Bench press - 5 sets (12-8-6-4-6 reps)
Incline - 4 sets (10-8-6-8)
Flies - 3 s (8-6-6-8)

Day 2: Back
Small grip pulldowns - 4 sets (10-8-8-10)
T-bar rows - 4 sets (6-6-8-10)
Low Row with barbell - 3 sets (6-6-8)
Wide grip pull-overs - 3 sets (12-12-12)

Day 3: Arms
Barbell curls 3 (12-10-8)
Alternate dumbell curls 3 (10-10-8)
Hammer curls 3 (8-8-10)

Skull crushers 4 (10-8-8-6)
Dips 3 (12-10-8)
pulldowns 3 (12-12-10)

Day 4: Legs

Squats - 4 sets (10-8-6-8)
Machine squats - 4 sets (12-8-6-8)
Leg Press - 3 sets (12-10-8)
Hamstring leg press - 4 sets (12-10-10-12)

Day 5: Shoulders

Military press -4 sets (12-10-8-6)
Lateral flies - 3 (12-12-10)
Frontal flies - 3 (12-12-10)
Posterior flies -4 (12-10-10-12)
Shrugs - 3 (10-10-8)

So... can anyone link me to a good routine to increase mass ? This one stopped being effective for me.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Have you ever tried something with more frequency? I'm a fan of more frequency, rather than 1 part a day training.

Edit:.. rep #'s would also be good too.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I suggest upper/lower, fullbody, or a 3 day split. Decide what kind of routine you want and we can then help with sets, reps, and exercise choice.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Added reps.

Any type of new routine would be nice. Split, frequence etc... I just need a new one because my body got used to this one. And one which promotes lots of growth, which this old of mine did.

Any links to good routines ? Please ? I'll rep the shit out of gratitude. I really need an entire routine, with set/rep specifications, exercise especifications, all of it, not just a general outline. Links ?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Principles of hypertrophy: frequency, volume and overload.

I'm a fan of split training, because it works for my current body type (prone to CNS drain), but for the matured athlete, it probably won't be the best for ya.

Mass revolves around these key factors:

Multi-joint movements
Caloric surplus
High intensity/volume

I believe all split routines should revolve around a deadlift, squat, bench and OH press. However, this is not what I'm going to recommend.

--------

Let's induce hypertrophy here.

If you'd like we could create an upper body/lower body routine focusing on both types of muscular hypertrophy. We can then focus on the horizontal and vertical movements (agonist antagonist).

I will ask for your confirmation before I proceed with this? I've used this and it's great. Frequency, volume and overload are all the key components to the split.

Just a though for ya, a different stimulus and so on!

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok, I just designed this routine, it's a 6 days a week routine.

Monday
Barbell Bench Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
Incline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6 reps
Decline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6 reps
Dumbbell Flys 2 sets of 8 reps
Dumbbell Pullover 2 sets of 10 reps
Tricep Extension 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6 progressively adding weight
Tricep Dip 3 sets of 10. Weighted if possible.
Tricep Bench Dip 3 sets of 8

Tuesday

Chin Up 2 sets of 8 reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 8 reps
Seated Row 2 sets of 8
Bent Over Barbell Row 2 sets of 8
Lat Pull Down 3 sets of 10, 10, 8
Standing Barbell Curl 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
Preacher Curl 3 sets of 8, 8, 6 using a close grip with EZ bar
Incline Dumbbell Curl 2 sets of 12-14
Concentration Curl 2 sets of 10

Wednesday

Squat 5 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6, 4 (last set real heavy with spotter)
Leg Extension 3 x 10 reps
Leg Curl 3 x 10 reps
Standing Calf Raise 4 sets of 10 reps
Seated calf Raise 2 sets of 10 reps
Machine Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Military Press 4 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 2 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs 2 sets of 10 reps
Upright Row 2 sets of 10 reps

Thursday

Rest.

Friday - REPIT Monday
Sunday – REPIT Thursday
Saturday – REPIT Wednesday

What do you think ?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Good luck with that :ugh:

You may want to count the number of sets and exercises each day and work out how long this will take. Let alone work out how many big taxing exercises you will be doing each session let alone each week.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Good luck with that :ugh:

You may want to count the number of sets and exercises each day and work out how long this will take. Let alone work out how many big taxing exercises you will be doing each session let alone each week.

I can take it. Probably 1 hour 2 hours at most.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ By my math you're leg day is one hour long without stopping to change weights, breathe, walk to next piece of equipment, etc. So add in a respectable rest interval makes it at least two hours.

I can tell you now that it will be pedestrian effort or far too much work doing this 6 days a week.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ By my math you're leg day is one hour long without stopping to change weights, breathe, walk to next piece of equipment, etc. So add in a respectable rest interval makes it at least two hours.

I can tell you now that it will be pedestrian effort or far too much work doing this 6 days a week.

Yes... I am working on leg day to make it less of an annoyance. But if you count the numer of sets of chest and back day you end up with a normal amount.

I would really love you if you could help me change leg day to make it more... possible to achieve xD

I also think I wont be doing 6 days a week. I'll probably do 4-5 days a week, alternating which days I will repeat by changing them each week.

So in week 1 I will repeat monday
in week 2 I will repeat thursday
in week 3 I will repeat wednesday

What do you think about that ? Better ?

I would love if you guys could critique this, but also add your input immediately. I mean change the routine based on your ideas. Don't be shy, I will only be rejoiced xD

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's just way too many exercises, there's little point in doing so many. Concentrate on increasing strength with good form in the exercises, not just doing a ton of them for the sake of it. Progressive overload > anything.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sigh... I don't need theoretical advice.

Well, thanks anyways, I'll have to search online then.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sigh... I don't need theoretical advice.

:dunnodude:

I've made every single one of my routines I've used over the past 2 years and have gotten terrific gains. And not a single one was a traditional split. Why ask for help when you just ignored those that did try to put you on a better path?

Ditch splits, up frequency, remove the amount of/crappy exercises, focus on overload, and decrease volume.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ditch splits, up frequency, remove the amount of/crappy exercises, focus on overload, and decrease volume.

You guys don't quite understand what I am asking for.

I don't need theoretical advice as in I cannot do a routine with this "Ditch splits, up frequency, remove the amount of/crappy exercises, focus on overload, and decrease volume"

I need the routine. The numbers, the names of the exercises, the sets, the reps... etc...

I have no knowledge of how to create a routine out of theoretical advice. I need one handed to me because I am a noob. Do you understand what I am trying to say ?

:3

akita

akita

Mate,what u need is personal trainer!

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You guys don't quite understand what I am asking for.

I don't need theoretical advice as in I cannot do a routine with this "Ditch splits, up frequency, remove the amount of/crappy exercises, focus on overload, and decrease volume"

I need the routine. The numbers, the names of the exercises, the sets, the reps... etc...

I have no knowledge of how to create a routine out of theoretical advice. I need one handed to me because I am a noob. Do you understand what I am trying to say ?

:3

Of course I do. But if you understand the fundamental principles of making a solid routine, you can make one for yourself whenever you want. :wutyousay: This is kind of like the kid that wants to cheat off of you and take all of your answers on a test/homework and he doesn't care about what the questions were or why the answers are what they are. Sure, he appears smart when grades come out, but he's still a dumbass.

That's why we don't often enjoy just handing out routines to people who haven't made a valid attempt at learning for themself- they haven't put it any effort in. We already know how to make a routine, so there's not benefit for us to help others. We do it because we're nice and we like to see others that are really trying succeed.

There is no magic number for reps, sets, etc. What we're trying to say is that when making a routine you have to factor in:

(if I'm off about anything, please correct me people!)

1) Frequency - Muscles take 36-48 hours to recover from a typical workout, so there's no point in waiting a week or more to hit the same group. Hitting the muscle group 2-3 times a week is good depending on the volume.

2) Volume - No point in spending 2 hours in the gym, especially as a natty. You'd just wear yourself out quickly and not experience optimal gains due to hormone levels dropping, your muscles not being able to work to full capacity after that long, etc. When you're hitting your muscles 2-3 times a week each, you don't need 6 exercises/30 sets per muscle.

3) Intensity - Your muscles need something like 2-3 minutes to recover after a set, so don't waste time. Go too short, and you'll be struggling to stand. Different routines require different intensity levels.

4) Exercise choice - You don't need 5 different exercises to work the same muscle. If you're going to work the same fibers again, better off doing it with the exercises that are safe and can be used with progressive overload. Eliminate the exercises that are tough on joints and provide little gain. Always center your workouts around the compounds.

5) Recovery - Get your meals right (especially post workout) and get enough sleep. You don't grow in the gym.

6) Progression - If you aren't adding weight at the same rep range, volume, and intensity (while maintaing good form, of course), you're not getting anywhere.

Essentially you can just fill in the blanks based on your goals and viola, a brand spankin' new routine. Those are the fundamentals you should always follow. If you have specific questions regarding exercise choice or something, we'd be glad to help. But "TELL ME EVERYTHING I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WHY OR HOW" is not going to get you very far. You get out what you put in.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Essentially you can just fill in the blanks based on your goals and viola, a brand spankin' new routine. Those are the fundamentals you should always follow. If you have specific questions regarding exercise choice or something, we'd be glad to help. But "TELL ME EVERYTHING I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WHY OR HOW" is not going to get you very far. You get out what you put in.

Nice post man.

Now, I FEEL that my first routine in my first post was pretty much perfection. With it, my muscles felt sore and I could feel the growth. I designed that routine using all my knowledge about good exercises and set/rep ranges.

But, since I used up all the knowledge I had in that routine, I feel depleted. As much as I appreciate your post and insight, I already knew those points you handed to me. But there are things you just don't learn with theory, you need practice.

I don't have enough practice with routine creation. That is why I am asking you guys to hand me a routine, because I need to compare my old self-made routine to another one... to gather experience and knowledge.

I am not trying to cheat and copy and exam, as you said in your analogy. I am trying to see how the guy next to me thinks, because maybe my own thoughts are wrong. I wont copy it, I will use it to create my own later on.

TL;DR - I know what needs to be done to grow, I just don't know how to apply it to exercises and values. I need help to get experience on how to do that.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice post man.

Now, I FEEL that my first routine in my first post was pretty much perfection. With it, my muscles felt sore and I could feel the growth. I designed that routine using all my knowledge about good exercises and set/rep ranges.

But, since I used up all the knowledge I had in that routine, I feel depleted. As much as I appreciate your post and insight, I already knew those points you handed to me. But there are things you just don't learn with theory, you need practice.

I don't have enough practice with routine creation. That is why I am asking you guys to hand me a routine, because I need to compare my old self-made routine to another one... to gather experience and knowledge.

I am not trying to cheat and copy and exam, as you said in your analogy. I am trying to see how the guy next to me thinks, because maybe my own thoughts are wrong. I wont copy it, I will use it to create my own later on.

TL;DR - I know what needs to be done to grow, I just don't know how to apply it to exercises and values. I need help to get experience on how to do that.

To be honest, I didn't like the routine in the first post at all. The frequency was very low and you had a lot of pointless exercises. Remember, soreness does not indicate growth.

Ditch leg extensions, flys, and front delt movements. You don't need a specific arm day. Compound exercises raise testosterone and release more growth hormone, equating to bigger muscles. Working just 1 body part per day means low frequency and non-optimal hormone levels. For example, working just arms typically puts little stress on the rest of your body. Deadlifts, however, put a lot. So doing a big compound before moving on to smaller muscle groups/exercises can be of a large benefit. In fact, that's always how I structure my routines. Combine body parts to one day instead of having a separate day for each, starting with compounds and working down.